Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Premium Member
12,510 Posts
rdnkjoe42 said:
horny toads rigged weightless.
Now there's an exciting bait to use! Around here black seems to be the best. I've also had some luck with hot pink. What colors do yall find best by you?

· Registered
27 Posts
LakeCityYankee said:
rdnkjoe42 said:
horny toads rigged weightless.
Now there's an exciting bait to use! Around here black seems to be the best. I've also had some luck with hot pink. What colors do yall find best by you?
Watermelon Seed in clear water and watermelon red with pearl belly when I fish the Sacramento/San Joaquin delta.

· Premium Member
12,510 Posts
oh you live in Cali? Must be nice to be able to fish the Delta on a regular basis, especially with topwaters! :bowdown:
Do you fish a lot of swimbaits? I always hear how that is so much the thing in Cali. I honestly havent tried them over in SC yet. ::) I keep saying I will but then I always ending up blowing my money on something else besides some swimbaits. I think this spring I will promise myself to buy and try some.

· Registered
27 Posts
Cali is OK I guess. Not all its crack up to be. Bunch of dipsticks, yahoos and yuppies (not my home state if you couldn't tell)but the fishing is good.
I fish a swim bait every so often, they are not my favorite but they do produce. Delta is always fun, though I don't get to go as often as I'd like. Topwater is a heck of alot of fun when I'm fishin those spooks/sammys or frogs.

· Registered
739 Posts
I know I need to but I haven't ever fished a frog. I have seen way to many fish lost with one! The good lord knows I lose enough as it is. My favorite plastic is a lizard or brush hog.

· Premium Member
12,510 Posts
Very true, fish can be missed pretty easy on a frog. A lot of it though depends on the angler. Many anglers will set the hook on site. This can be a fatal mistake quite often. Always set the hook on feel rather than site. A buddy of mine taught me to fish buzzbaits (which adhere to same rule: set by feel not by site) by closing my eyes after I cast and while I retrieved so that I never saw the fish strike and only felt him. Worked like a charm :)

On the other hand if we start to talk about frogs like the Spro, design becomes a major factor. Some frogs are not as well designed as others and the hooks sit too close to the plastic body and the plastic body can be too stiff so that it doesnt squeeze out of the way as easy as it should.

· Premium Member
12,510 Posts
microtek60 said:
Zoom finesse worm in pumpkin or watermellon fished weightless texas style
For the longest time, Zoom pumpkin was my favorite color on a number of baits: centipede, u-tail, trick and finesse! I still use it an awful lot just that the past year or so I have become obsessed with soft jerkbaits! lol

· Premium Member
12,510 Posts
I must admit, I havent fished the zoom finesse weightless. You say you fish it the same as the fluke? Just a slow retrieve with a twitch here and there? How are you fishing it if ya dont mind me askin? I should give it a try.
I normally fished the zoom finesse with a small weight.. if its not texas rigged its on a split shot or a carolina rig. I believe id like to try it weightless.

· Registered
222 Posts
when I fish the zoom finesse I rig it texas and fish it pretty slow, I cast it out usually in pretty shallow water and when it hits the water I let it sink for about 5 to 10 seconds then I either twitch it or just raise my rod tip and let it fall again. Thats it, also I cant tell you the amount of times that a bass hits it as soon as it touches the water.

· Registered
619 Posts
Finesse worm weightless?! :eek: I love em on a 1/8 or 3/16 oz. jighead(shaky rig). Seems like I keep hitting hot lures about a year before they become the rage in competition, so watch out for the Hula grub next year or two. I probably spend more time throwing those two lures lately than anything else. Also a fluke, pointer, shad rap #5 or7, texas rig tube, c-rig brush hog,....... :p Have 2 try the weightless finesse worm,though.

· Premium Member
2,887 Posts
I probably fished a plum apple Zoom monster worm most of 2005 90% of 2005 until I sat listening to Larry Nixon talking about lure selection stategies. He asked around the room what our go-to was. He told us we were all in a terrible rut. I gave that lesson a lot of thought and began doing it his way, pick a go-to after looking over water conditions, depth of fish, cover- grass, wood, rock or open lake, thinking about season, the sky, everything you can study out. Within the range of confidence bait TYPES, not just one brand and model in different sizes and colors, make your best guess to start with. He looks at it broadly, like if your favorite type is soft plastic, narrow it down to tube, ribbon tail worm, paddletail, crtitter like a Sweet Beaver or frog, shad imitatior like a fluke, etc.. I've improved hookups a lot by not automatically going to my favorite worm in every situation. Rats. I have at least 200 plum apple monster worms, but only have 50 cents a bag in them.

Jim

· Registered
2,371 Posts
My fav. is the Senko wacky stlye, and a Lake Fork Carwtube in natural craw color.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.