Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can fasten your skirts with thread or wire - I prefer my way!

zip tie and skirt material:

pull tight and trim, leaving the bulky part on the up side:

(note the wire sitting next to the jig - if you ask, I'll tell yoiu its function)

done!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Re: You can fasten your skirts with thread or wire - I prefer my way!

Looks great and great info SENKOSAM. I am just starting making jigs and need to get some skirt material. I am wanting to stay basic BLK/BLUE and PBJ. Where are you getting your skirt material from?
Joe

·
Registered
1,792 Posts

I sometimes use zip ties when I am making them in a campground or in the boat because of the quickness and ease. At home I use the collars or wire tie.

Joe take a look at www.fishingskirts.com I have not been able to beat their prices. My problem is getting carried away and buying way more than I'll ever use of a color.

It takes 2-3 silicone tabs to make a good jig so keep that in mind when ordering.

·
Registered
454 Posts

Thanks Jig Man. I will be looking into them. Now I am a newbie at this. What is considered a tab.
Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
454 Posts

Jig Man, I just got done looking at fishing skirts.com and my head is hurting. They have a ton of oppitions in skirt designs and I am not sure what I want/need. I know that more skirt means a slower drop presentation. I also know I want a big presantation and slow. Also I am like you and can get carried away and buy to much. With this said I am only going to get 3 colors BLK/BL, PBJ, and a Green Pumpkin style. Any help would be great.
Joe

·
Registered
1,792 Posts

Joe go back up and look at the jig with the strips (tabs). He has 3 of them on his jig head.

So if you want say 4 dozen of a particular color you'll need 48X2 tabs or 96, 48X3 tabs or 144.

When I make up my jigs I have 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 oz cavities. So if I make up a dozen of each size I'll have 6 dozen of that color and will with my 2 tab method need 144 of that color. That is why I get so carried away. The last order I made was for 1400 tabs and I don't sell jigs.

·
Registered
454 Posts

Jig Man thanks for your responce. I am starting to figure this out. It appears I have a similar mold to yours and I have been pouring and painting now for a while. I just need the skirts. I noticed at fishingskirts.com they have differnt types like Frog Hair, Barbed Wire, and so on. What type would you recomend for a bigger slow moving jig.
Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

No one can compare with fishingskirts.com for variety, service or price!!!!

Surprised no one asked about function of the L shaped wire in the middle photo.

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts

SENKOSAM said:
Surprised no one asked about function of the L shaped wire in the middle photo.
I will ask. What is the function of that wire ?

·
Registered
454 Posts

My question is are all three of those skirts the same style but differnt color and if some one could break down the differnce from the frog hair, barbed wire and others style skirts.

Thanks Joe

·
Premium Member
814 Posts

Been doing this same thing with the cable ties for years. What I do different is use a red cable tie. Not sure if it makes a lot of difference, but found a bunch for sale at a flea market and have been using them for the past several years.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Joe, frog hair is the thinnest; living rubber (the jig on the right) has more flare than silicone of the same diameter and length.
Living rubber used to be the only skirt material available but lost favor because it only comes in solid colors and melts if left on soft plastic lures for a time. I had to replace skirts every season.

Barb wire is more checkered (left jig) than fish scale (bottom jig) and each has its own color selection. There are other color patterns including solid colors. I must have about fifty different colors/patterns. Some come with glitter.

The L shaped wire is to keep a plastic trailer from sliding down the hook if there is no barb or if the hole in the plastic gets too big.

(the chunk trailer was copied in a plaster of paris mold)

close wire cable tie:

what it looks like (minus the jighead):

view with jighead, skirt and trailer fastener in place:

Note: I also use the fastener on spinnerbaits

·
Premium Member
362 Posts

Great topic AND posts / pic by you folks :thumbup01:

Stupid question on my part...why not just use a standard "skirt colar"? :thinkin:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

davesett2000 said:
Great topic AND posts / pic by you folks :thumbup01:

Stupid question on my part...why not just use a standard "skirt colar"? :thinkin:

They rot off in less than a season.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts