Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, to start off, I'm not crazy, just figured out how and when I was getting my bites.
I was fishing a local Tourny Saturday, I will give you the lake specific's
Air Temp 72 deg
Water Temp 64 deg
Barometer was 29.82 and Steady
Mainly Shallow Lake, 15 ft is the deepest, water clarity was around 3.5 ft. with
alot of stump flats and wood cover, some early vegetation was starting to grow, but hadn't made it to the top yet.

I started the morning with a buzz bait and a spinner, hitting the flats close to the deeper water with no avail, at 9:00 I changed to an Arkansas Shad Color Zoom
Fluke. Of course, the dummy I am, 1st cast, go for the stands and birds nest real bad, I picked the nest out, realed in fast and bam, I am hooked to a 4lb er, YES, I'm on them now. Cast after Cast I have not even a look at the bait, then good ol' Mother Nature lended me a helping wind to my face and I got another small back lash, picked it out and Bam, 2 lbs or so this time at the end of my line. Now I'm not the smartest Basshole out there, but it didn't take me long to realize I needed to slow down. So I slowed my retreive and picked up a few small fish, but no more keepers, hey, wacky time, clear water, lets put the ol' pumpkinseed wacky on and kick some butt. NOTTA, Nothing, not a Bite!!

So, now I know, a lifeless fluke, is the only way, so I slip a 1.5 inch peice of old coat hanger into the middle to even out the fall, start flipping, yes I said flipping the fluke into the tree's, close in on the brush and trees, no fish found around the grass. I was truly amazed, truly, a friend took some weigh in pics and I will get them on here asap.

I topped the tourny in total by over 6 lbs. had big fish by over a pound, the initial 4lber I caught was my smallest at the weigh in, the 2lber that changed my mind about how to fish was culled at 1A.M.

So next time ya can't figure them out, let Mother Nature Help out, She helped me

Cya on the Water

G

·
Hey nice report. What was the weight of your fish? What was the biggest? Details man? haha.

Nice going and good adjustments on the fly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Keith, Big Fish was 7lbs 2oz. total 5 fish stringer was 27lbs 9oz, and I culled more than the 3rd place finisher caught. I even told them what I had done, they thought I was nuts,,,but I went to the bank with $250 for Big Bass and $190 for 1st Place. Not a Big Check, but for a small local Tourny I was Happy!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
You never know what the freak is going on in their head when something weird like that works, except to try it again. Good job figuring it out, better job sticking with it. :clap: :champion:

·
Banned
539 Posts
Super job, those professional overruns can be positive thing, huh? The old addage the fish will tell you what they want if we just listen is true. Sometimes we just don't believe they really understand what is best for them.

G

·
Great job!!! This is the first year that I have tried out the fluke and I owe it all to Jared. Those are some great baits.

Anyway, Congrats on your big fish and taking home the gold. :champion:

:clap:

·
Registered
801 Posts
That is awesome and I can't wait to see the pictures. I love your story... I felt your excitement!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Man, great trip and a fantastic sack :clap: :clap: Naturally, the secret was the ARKANSAS shad fluke!! :rofl1: :rofl1: :dance01:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts