Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted fellow bassholes opinion on this tournement this weekend. Heres what im planning on keying on in weekend, theres a long rock bank that undercut in places its about 150 yards long with some scattered vegetation, roughly 6-12 feet deep.The bass were last week and today up in the undercut parts ambushing shad. Ive got them consistently on gold traps, so thats my go to. When i get 5 i plan on flippin the laydown trees that are near by to try and get some serious weight. Other than the gold traps do you guys have any suggestions to try the next time i pre fish it? See i know i shouldn't try to over plan this but im going alot further than anyone else is gonna go but i know it will put fish in the boat. I guess what im asking is if the gold trap bite stops, what would you throw.One thing im thinking is a weightless jerkbait like a fluke or senko or a mid running crank. Im all ears people so let em rip!!! Dave

·
Registered
841 Posts
Spinnerbait ever work for you there? Caught them real good first thing in the am in a similar situation a few weeks back.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
7 " paddle tail worm weightless, let it settle pull it up hard and feel the thump.Thats what fooled my PB 7.03 in florida.
but then I'm stuck on plastics. :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:
good luck on your tourney is the wife still goin?
later
rich

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
so if you are getting them on a reaction bait like a trap(gold) have you tried a suspending jerkbait around the same area.sometimes the bigger fish are not as aggresive and will take a slower presentation?

G

·
Dave you and I fish similar :) The only thing I would try or add is a horny toad first thing in the Am over the scattered grass and see if you can get fish on that. Fish tend to be larger on a HT so that might start ya off good?

Then throw the gold trap as you suggested. If it is real cloudy try a painted trap and stay away from the metal flashy traps. Those are designed for sunny days. If cloudy that Rayburn red is a good bet or a white with green back or even a brownish back works well.

Mid day go to your flipping bite if real sunny. Try to find floating hyacinth and flip right into the middle of it. As long as you got 1 foot or more of water under it hang on.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hadnt thought about a suspending jerkbait, so thats definately a good idea. The spinnerbait hasnt produced for me yet but i dont think i fished it long enough.My dad has thrown a plastic worm alot and didnt get any, they see so many worms down here they stay away from em! Keith i would imagine me and you probably do fish alot alike from the conversations we've had here, we look at things the same i think. Thanks guys i do appreciate it, i think im stressing a little bit more cause Kylies fishing this one with me, and i want her to have a great time. Dave

·
Registered
98 Posts
An undercut bank is an awesome place to skip a fluke up under . Work it paralell to the bank and with the current.A crankbait and jerkbait may also be a good choice.Don't get hung up on what happened last week or the other day.If the shad aren't stil therel the bass won't be either .

·
Banned
539 Posts
georgemro said:
A crankbait and jerkbait may also be a good choice.
Some real good suggestions, being a cranker I like the suspended Jerk and crankbait suggestions as a added option to supplement your trap pattern. With a small modification you can detune them to swim and pause under the bank. Drink a cup of coffee and then twitch and hang-on( maybe not that long of a pause but you get the idea). Tight Lines buddy

·
Registered
801 Posts
Good luck with anything you decide on!

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Without being familiar with the lake type, the water temperature and general location of the country you are fishing, it is impossible for me to try and advise you. The questions you need to ask youyrself is why are the bass targeting shad at that specific location and where are they going after the short time period of activity. Your chances of finding those exact conditions a few days or weeks later are very slim, unless you know why the bass are using that location. The color and type of lure is a reaction bait that is apparently the right size for the bait fish the bass are feeding on. Are these school size bass? are quality adult size bass mixed in?
Tom

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oldschool said:
Without being familiar with the lake type, the water temperature and general location of the country you are fishing, it is impossible for me to try and advise you. The questions you need to ask youyrself is why are the bass targeting shad at that specific location and where are they going after the short time period of activity. Your chances of finding those exact conditions a few days or weeks later are very slim, unless you know why the bass are using that location. The color and type of lure is a reaction bait that is apparently the right size for the bait fish the bass are feeding on. Are these school size bass? are quality adult size bass mixed in?
Tom
Most were school sized, with a few in the6-8 pound range. The lake is Lake Okeechobee water temp 73degrees, water has 1-2 visibility. I think that the bass are using the undercut to ambush shad i've watched this happenregularly without actually fishing. I dont think this part of lake gets very much fishing pressure, however im a little concerned that im going a long distance with no real back up plan due to the lake being 4 feet low which translates into very limited fishable water here on the north side of the lake. Your input would be appreciated Tom. Dave

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imonembad said:
Chartrues garlic!!! Then eat a bolonga sandwich! Woo Hoo!!
:clap: Thats what im talkin about!!!! :cheers: dont forget to wash the bologna sandwich down with a :chug: Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts