Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to experiment with Y guards for jigs. First off what do you guys think of them and second where can I get them? I can't seem to find them anywhere!

Also for the wacky jigs is it possible to substitute mono or flouro for the wire weedguard?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I don't use them as I have heard some bad stories about them actually getting imbeded in the hook point and costing some lost fish due to no hook penetration.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
I have some old jigs that have the "Y" guard, they are much stiffer than the guards we use now, I wouldn't go back to them. The fiber guards are much easier to modify.
Rodney

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the "Y" guards and only use them for customers who have to have them on their jigs. I don't use them as I don't like them either. They are too stiff in my opinion, and I like my weedguards flexible.

On the wacky jig, if you are going to use mono or fluoro line then you will have to glue it in. You can however pour in clear weedgurd which will work better, however you will not be able to powder paint them due to a heat issue. But you could brush the paint on to solve that issue or air brush.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
If you don't need a weed guard, don't use one. The only time I use a jig with a weed guard is fishing heavy cover, otherwise I will use no guard or a Hitchhiker or Owner CPS TwistLock spring. Add a 1.5" long segment of a finesse worm attached to the spring and skin hook the worm where I split the tail. This adds color, movement and a positive texture to the jig, plus it's gives you a degree of safety in light cover.
IF you are flipping or pitching into heavy cover then use .018D fiber weed guard.
The Y weed guards are nylon and stiffen with age. You can thin them out and curl it with a safety razor, but it's not worth the effort.
Take a look at Yamamoto's football head with stranded wire weed guard; 5 jigs for $4 with Owner or Gamakatsu hook. Gives you a few options to consider.
Happy New Years.
Tom

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
As far as where to get them, lurecraft.com has them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts