Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am so excited. This will be my 1st time fishing a jig, not just any jig either but a Hawg Thrasher Jig at that. I'll be headin out in a few minutes so wish me luck please. I'm here in southern california and will be fishin from shore, darn it. I'll report back later.

Good luck everyone! AJ

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
Good luck! You'll enjoy jig fishing. It's alot of fun and absolutely is one of the best fish catching methods there are. Remember to be a line watcher and set the hook immediately. Don't fish it like a worm and wait for a tap, tap...Hit it right away or the fish will have spit you back out. The second tap you feel is typically them spitting it back out and then you're too late.
The other thing you may get is just a "spongy" feeling...once you feel that, get rid of your slack and let em have it. You're dealing with a fairly large hook, so the hookset has to be done a bit harder then when using a worm hook.

Can't wait to see how you do....Knock em dead!! :thumbup01:

·
Registered
809 Posts
CaptainMo said:
Good luck! You'll enjoy jig fishing. It's alot of fun and absolutely is one of the best fish catching methods there are. Remember to be a line watcher and set the hook immediately. Don't fish it like a worm and wait for a tap, tap...Hit it right away or the fish will have spit you back out. The second tap you feel is typically them spitting it back out and then you're too late.
The other thing you may get is just a "spongy" feeling...once you feel that, get rid of your slack and let em have it. You're dealing with a fairly large hook, so the hookset has to be done a bit harder then when using a worm hook.

Can't wait to see how you do....Knock em dead!! :thumbup01:
oh contraire, i use thin wire hooks for improved penetration on hooksets on all my jigs unless special ordered! just pull against em and their usualy hooked!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Unfortunately I won't say the same as others... I wish you success in your new lure! And even better a excellently made lure! Give the lure patience and if anything take time to learn how the lure reacts and how it feels... even if you don't have any fish coming to shore/side of boat it's better to feel good about the lure vs expecting to catch fish right away and not... That can really shatter any confidence in it even if it was on the most used tournament lures around! I don't fish them much myself. The lure works and there is no question about it. But it is now up to you to build your confidence into that lure... not luck! :) Whenever I don't catch any fish and someone comments that I didn't have any luck I will say the fish were just too smart for me today and I couldn't locate them.

·
Registered
809 Posts
irDominic said:
Unfortunately I won't say the same as others... I wish you success in your new lure! And even better a excellently made lure! Give the lure patience and if anything take time to learn how the lure reacts and how it feels... even if you don't have any fish coming to shore/side of boat it's better to feel good about the lure vs expecting to catch fish right away and not... That can really shatter any confidence in it even if it was on the most used tournament lures around! I don't fish them much myself. The lure works and there is no question about it. But it is now up to you to build your confidence into that lure... not luck! :) Whenever I don't catch any fish and someone comments that I didn't have any luck I will say the fish were just too smart for me today and I couldn't locate them.
Very well said. I couldn't agree with you more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.