Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May test the water and trade in on a more current boat. Considering Nitro, Skeeter, Ranger, Champion, and Bass Cat. Why should I go with a Champ?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
If you don't know the answer to that one then you need to ride a Champ in rough water and fish out of one a time or two.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spent approximately 20 years as a non boater in a local bass club. Fished about eight tournaments yearly. In those 160 tournament, I drew partners that owned all different brands of boats. But the ride I apppreciated the most was when I drew a partner with a champion. When I was finally decided to purchase my own boat , I already knew what I wanted. A comfortable, safe ride. Living up north ,fishng the finger lakes and Lake Ontario and Lake Erie comfort and safety were of great concern. So was the fact that in my fifties the body took alot longer to recuperate from a rough outing(boat ride).

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
With the recent sell off of the Genmar holding, which included the champion boat brand to platinum equity. I would do some research before purchasing any of the brands that were caught up in this mess. It may be some time before the future of some of these brands is known. I believe Ranger will survive, and they are moving the Stratos construction to the Flippin, Ark plant. I have not heard anything about the other brands, that worries me.

Platinum Equity of Beverly Hills, Calif., now owns the Ranger, Stratos, Champion, Wellcraft, Four Winns and Glastron boat brands; manufacturing facilities and related operations in Flippin, Ark.; Cadillac, Mich.; and Murfreesboro, Tenn.; and certain transportation equipment and other real estate assets.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would go Stratos :) I've ridden in everything else, and hands down I think they have the best ride and fishability. (just my.02)

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
These two boats become the same in time.They are offering a few diff. types. Triton.Ranger.stratos,skeeter,nitro will hang in there.
Bill

·
Registered
798 Posts
fyi Champion and Stratos are the same boat now. Only time will tell how this works out. My dream rig is a Champion with a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke but would give a newer model Charger a close look too since I love my 96 Charger so much.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
Highcentered said:
fyi Champion and Stratos are the same boat now. Only time will tell how this works out. My dream rig is a Champion with a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke but would give a newer model Charger a close look too since I love my 96 Charger so much.
If you look at them, It seems to me they simply took the Champion boat and put a Stratos name plate on it, it appears to be the same hull and deck design. I have always been a stratos man, im still waiting to see how this plays out, and if they are going to keep the designs separate or eventually merge the two hull and deck designs together. I like both brands, but i really love my Stratos. Going to be a year or so before I purchase a new one so they should have time to finalize all the small details by then.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
The champion elite series by stratos is the exact same boat that champion has always been making! The hull and topcap is exaclty the same. They put stratos on the side and stratos on the trailer. Changed a few accessories, but thats it. Its still the same boat that every champion owner has learned to love.

·
Registered
798 Posts
mlsims said:
Highcentered said:
If you look at them, It seems to me they simply took the Champion boat and put a Stratos name plate on it, it appears to be the same hull and deck design. I have always been a stratos man, im still waiting to see how this plays out, and if they are going to keep the designs separate or eventually merge the two hull and deck designs together. I like both brands, but i really love my Stratos. Going to be a year or so before I purchase a new one so they should have time to finalize all the small details by then.
I need to ride in one of the better Stratos boats. My friends old 179v will wet you and beat you to death. In places my Charger 195vf cuts right through and keeps you bone dry his old Stratos will make you look like you've been swimming.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
Highcentered said:
mlsims said:
Highcentered said:
I need to ride in one of the better Stratos boats. My friends old 179v will wet you and beat you to death. In places my Charger 195vf cuts right through and keeps you bone dry his old Stratos will make you look like you've been swimming.
I done told ya to come on down to Alabama and ill take you for a ride in my 21SS Extreme Stratos, you wont get wet in rough water. :dance01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

·
Registered
798 Posts
mlsims said:
Highcentered said:
mlsims said:
Highcentered said:
I done told ya to come on down to Alabama and ill take you for a ride in my 21SS Extreme Stratos, you wont get wet in rough water. :dance01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01:
Next time I head that way for one of my car audio shindigs I'll make sure to take a day to spend in Lower Bama :thumbup01: Same offer goes for you if you're ever in Central Arkansas. The old Charger LOVES to run :victory:

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I guess if you can afford a boat right now..buy it.Thats a big deal right now.When you get to the point where you can afford any of these boats meantioned you'll be fine with any choice. At this level all these boats are great.lol. :victory:
Good Luck
Bill

·
Registered
798 Posts
Truth be told good deals can be had on older rigs that still have several years of life left in them. Just need to count on spending the first year working out the "used boat kinks" :cussin: Some people should just stay away from doing wiring jobs especially in a paint shaker like a boat. Slide connectors are BAD :wack: Or maybe it's just the car audio installer in me not liking the possibility of electrical fires :dunno:

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Champs are amazing ridding boats, just be careful in buying one with the fuel tank at the rear section of the boat, with a full tank they tend to lean back and make them more easy to take waves over the back and swamp them, stratos is a great boat as well,Nitros i find are rough ridding in bad weather they hammer the hull and jare the back, and Rangers ... well they speak for themselves, amazing boat boats just heavy! :canada:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Highcentered said:
undoubtedly the 1986 stratos rides much rougher than its younger siblings, the 1995 and up stratos and javelin boats rode great by the way they are the same boat much like Champion boats and Stratos now. before the buyout champion was by far the best boat on the water. Ive rode in any boat you can think of and champion has be best and driest ride of any of them, and believe me i have put my boats through some rough water, as anyone that fishes with me can tell you. Ouachita can get pretty rough even in a champion

·
Registered
798 Posts
shakeyheadmaster said:
Highcentered said:
undoubtedly the 1986 stratos rides much rougher than its younger siblings, the 1995 and up stratos and javelin boats rode great by the way they are the same boat much like Champion boats and Stratos now. before the buyout champion was by far the best boat on the water. Ive rode in any boat you can think of and champion has be best and driest ride of any of them, and believe me i have put my boats through some rough water, as anyone that fishes with me can tell you. Ouachita can get pretty rough even in a champion
Nice try Parson. Shouldn't have given so many hints to who you were ;) Sad thing is you could run off and leave me in your older less powerful rig and I'd never catch you even in the long haul. The Champion should still have me no matter what even with all your crap AND Chewy in there :wack:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rode in an 06 Stratos 285xl most of this summer, and now a 97 Champion this fall. The Champion rides FAR better IMO. Riding across 2-3 footers a wot and barely even felt them. The stratos would have been a totally different ride. And plus we can run 70 with a 200 merc, full tourney load in the Champ..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts