Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pour my own, but this last run used the hitchhikers as screw locks because that is all the BPS had at the time. They look great, but when I used them it was another story. Caught a fish and the flimsy spring bent all outta shape and became nonusable after a few fish. Has anyone used the Do-It ss screw lock inserts? Are they sturdier/better than the hitchhikers? I would even be willing to trade the hikers for some.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Talk to Doug with :hawgt:. They are still the best jigheads that I have ever used and I have used almost all of them out there.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jig Man said:
I make my own out of stainless steel wire.
any chance you would elaborate on how.......that would be sweet to be able to do that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Do-It ss springs are a lot better than the copper hitch hikers as the spring is wider and the wire is stiffer. This year the shakeyhead barely worked for me at all which was weird because last year it was #1.

Allen

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have tried many, but have gone to making my own due to cost......that is why I have the question.....the copper hitchkikers are not the ideal part for molding in a shakey head, that is just all they had at the time. I either need to use the Do-It insert or learn to make my own

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
I have always had extremely good luck with Do It Molds products...
After doing a bit of research, it seems everybody seems to be in agreement that their SS product works very well. I would suggest you give them a try.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
CaptainMo said:
I have always had extremely good luck with Do It Molds products...
After doing a bit of research, it seems everybody seems to be in agreement that their SS product works very well. I would suggest you give them a try.
Yup Mo would know the skinney on this :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Just walked in from Stockton and saw your post. I use round nose pliers and stainless wire. I have had them for some time but I think I bought them from Barlow's. I wind the wire with the pliers until I think I have enough then I use gate cutters to spread the windings and then cut it off and form a loop to go over the hook shank, put them in the mold and wala.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What size wire do you use and where do you get it?

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
What would be wrong with just a straight wire.That way you just push it on and your done.Any pros or cons with this way?

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
I would definitely go with Do-It's inserts. They make quality components.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Derek think out side the box, what has threads on it...answer a bolt or all thread by drilling a hole thru it and heating up .050 SS wire and laying it between the threads you can make your own Hitch Hikers

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Please elaborate David.....interested.....where do you get ss wire? anywehere I suppose? when you say drill a hole in the bolt, what do you mean?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
The hole would be a way to hold the wire in place while you wrap it around the threads. If you decide to try it let us know how it works. I think you would still have to spread the wraps.

BTW I finally realized that I could give you the wire diameter. I checked it with my dial calipers and found it to be .026. I'm pretty sure the stuff came from either Barlow's or Jann's Netcraft.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, Ok I think I get it now, wonder what would be the best way to spred the wraps out a little? I am definitely gonna try this, or some version of it. I imagine you can get SS wire at Lowe's?(there is one by my house ;))

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I have bought galvanized wire at Lowe's to use for molding purposes to keep a hole open in jig heads for my 1/16 oz weedless crappie jigs but it is too limber for the screws. My gate cutters work well for spreading the wraps but you might get the job done with a flat screw driver.

I'm heading for Pom on Thurs. for a few weeks of fishing. I'll be interested in looking up your results when I get back home.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts