Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when fish a jig are you supposed to leave a bow in your line or are you supposed to keep your line tight.
I know you r suppose to keep contact with the bottom so u can feel wood rock etc.Also some people use a hop retrieve or a slow drag .can someone give me a link on different technices on how to fish a jig . I always thougt u leave a bow in your line so the fish dosent feel you when he picks it up , then when you see your line move reel down and sweep hookset

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
You must keep in contact with the jig every second and every good jig angler developes their own technique to feel line, watch line for any evidence of a strike. I don't like the term bow in the line indicating slack line. You will have some slack line unless you are fishing straight down, as the jig is cast further away from the slack or bow increases depending on line drag in the water, wind and the weight of the jig. I like to say controlled slack, meaning you still have contact with the jig and feel, see the strike.
Jig fishing is the most demanding of all lure presentations to master. I garantee the majority of strikes go undetected by most jig anglers. If you rely on feeling strikes with your rod and not feeling the line or watching the line for movement you will miss most of the big bass strikes and only detect strikes when the bass continues to eat the jig after striking it.
Tom

·
Registered
281 Posts
tom is telling you everything right about fishing a jig. especially about strike detection. if you jig does anything different that what it should, JERK!!!! hooksets are free. i have caught lots of big bass, and there was not a hit or anything. sometimes is was like the jig hit bottom differently than it had been, sometimes just the tension on the line got less or more. that is why it is really important to run the line underneath your thumb or over a finger.

bo

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Cant really add anything to such good advice except to keep at it.
Keep fishing it till you understand the ins and outs of it. Different style jigs, different weights in different cover all act/feel a little different.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Many of the top pros with a jig call it "weighing" a jig. Regardless of what size you have tied on you know what it feels like when you lift it. Also, you know how long it takes to reach the bottom, if it stops short, if you see the line twitch, if you feel nothing but the line moves off to the side, if the jig feels lighter than it should, set the hook. HOOK SETS ARE FREE, THEY COST NOTHING.
Rodney

G

·
All very good points. I might add what I like to do is always have my finger under the line near the reel. I may not see the line jump but I can feel the vibration it causes as it goes up the line to the reel. Flurocarbon is all I use now due to the limited stretch and also the sensitivity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts