Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the great information already about the spawn. My next question however is regarding the aftermath. I am under the impression that after the spawn their is a recuperatioin period that the fish go through, making them a little hesitant to bite. Are their some classic patterns that I can try to uncover? location of fish? depth? ect... any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

· Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Some classic research still stands that indicates the big bass you probably hope to hook have life-long habitual watery routes leading from their own 'fry days' spawning ground to a deep water spot, maybe a hole in a pond, or a river channel. They are truly lazy fish, not willing to burn calories on journeys like a salmon does. Their whole life is likely spent within up to a mile from where they hatched from an egg.

Backtrack from a known spawn area. Start with the escape route to deeper route in the upper reach of a creek. There had to be such a route else they wouldn't want to spawn there. Follow the drainage to the nearest deeper place, but I wouldn't expect to find the big mamas exploring a river system and all its deepest holes. Stripers do that. White bass do that. Winter is spent in those deeper places, but in all seasons including winter big bass come up to feed shallower, wherever their food lives. From now on through summer lots of the bass will seek cooler water daily, feeding nightly in shallows.

Jim

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot Jim,
You have quite the archive of bass information. I cant get enough of it. Our next tournament is June 13th. The fish should be finished spawning for the most part. We are heading out Saturday to look around a little. I think we will posisibly head up north where the deepest water is present, find some spawning grounds and back track.
Thanks agian,
Mike

· Registered
33 Posts
I have realized on the lake I frequently fish that most of the larger fish are up shallow fry guarding so right now you want to focus on your brim and shad type baits really anything that would cause a bass to sense a fear of the fry being eaten

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.