Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I kinda know what Im going to do tomorrow but figured I'd see if you guy's had any new ideas. (Dont say dropshot!!!!) Im fishing another tournament a lake Rousseau. It's supposed to be 17mph w/25mph gusts. This place is a resevoir with a barge canal leading to the gulf on one end, the lake in the middle full of stumps,grass islands and a pretty deep channel, and on the other end the withlacoochee river. Im not saying what I have in plan just incase some of you bassholes show up. I'll let you know what worked tomorrow night!! :champion:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I can't see anything right now and I have forgotten where you are at...but if I had those conditions and I was going to Sam Rayburn I would do the following..I might warm up the day with finding a wind blown flat and as they say "go fishing". Trolling motor on 4 and spinnerbait that thing to death. Keep those blades just where you can barely see them. About mid morning I will move out a little deeper and fish the first breakline or significant cover. I am looking for the prespawners. I could probably roam around and fish beds all day but I prefer locating that sweet spot and catch 5 big fish in 7-10 casts and then find another spot just like it and do it all over again. I often fish a bigger worm and nothing less than 3/8 in weight. You can run shallow all day and catch keeper males but by going deeper I am getting the stagers. The wind is your friend..I know it's rough going but as long as it's not dangerous I do not run from it. Good luck! I look forward to reading your report.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wind creates surface current - and can even blow warmer surface water into an area, if it is sunny, the effect is minimized on a cloudy day. Wind pounding against a shoreline can stir up things which can attract baitfish/crayfish, or create a mudline that fish feed along. I prefer to fish facing the wind - stay away from lures that have a lot of drag in the air if you are using baitcasting tackle - blades of buzzbaits and 10" ribbon tail worms would be a bad choice, along with lures where you have to watch your line for a strike, tubes, worms, and jigs - I have heard of people using sinkos or flukes in the wind and letting the wind drag their line naturally into areas where the fish are, which seems worth a try. Personally, I like spinnerbaits and rattletraps - good weight, compact = less drag while casting + good feel to detect a strike.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
I would make sure that my driftsock & anchor are in the boat, if you have had fairly steady temperature increases I would make dang sure i had some cranks, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits & swimbaits with me, & with my 1986 Tracker Pro 16, hang on for dear life. :rofl1: :rofl1:
Oldfart

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
I almost forgot, good luck Barry, catch them like a :tbh: :thumbup01: :thumbup01:
Oldfart

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
Too late to help you now Barry...but, I would be tossing Spinnerbaits first and foremost...then I would probably try a few Spinnerbaits. Once I worked an area over good, I would move to a similar spot and try some Spinnerbaits...As it got later in the day I would probably give Spinnerbaits a shot...After I got tired of that, I most likely would try a different color Spinnerbait....LOL :lmao:
Somewhere in between all that I would be tossing some Swimming Jigs with a Minda Spearworm trailer, and KaruLures Vibra Shocks.
Hope whatever you tried worked for you Barry!!!

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
thecrankincracker said:
Ok, I kinda know what Im going to do tomorrow It's supposed to be 17mph w/25mph gusts.
So, you and your kid(s) gonna go fly a kite ? perfect weather for it :rofl1:

( couldnt resist, sorry lol )

·
Registered
300 Posts
3/4 or 1 oz spinnerbait, you say there is grass, wood, no question, probably have two or three different blades tied on, good luck.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:2nd: :2nd: :2nd: Got second place with 16-02. Took big fish also with a 7.95. Fished the same way I did last weekend. Rattletrap! It's one I painted a golden shiner on. Caught our limit by 7:50 in the same spot we did last SAT., with the same bait, then hit the next spot I had in mind. We had to troll through a stump field to get to my area, so we were both slinging' traps on the troll there. Did one of my 80 yard cast and that hog hit it after about 2 reel's and jumped out of the water about a foot (80yard's away!!!). Couldn't believe what I saw on my rattle trap. I stuck my rod right down in the water an hollered, BIG FISH. Well of course my partner left the net at the house. She didn't jump anymore and we got her in the boat. After getting over the buck fever and getting back to fishing, not 10min later, I was burning the trap and almost had it back to the boat when another monster (about the same size) took a shot at it. Never hooked that one though. We would have smoked everyone if I had.

We both almost fell out of the boat about 20 time's today. That wind really had us moving', and when you weren't ready for it, WHAM, you hit another log. Jason Guynn won with 19.95. They lucked up on a seven and a couple bigger dinks than ours. They were fishing the edges of the channel with big worm's and cranks. Anyway hope this update helps anyone planning a trip to Rousseau. Our next tournament will be on Orange Lake on the 12th of next month. Flyer's say 11th but 1/2 our boat's cant make it that day so were having it on Sunday.. Forgot the picture!!! :wack:

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
:dance01: :dance01: :dance01:  :2nd: :2nd: :2nd: Great job Barry!!
And congrats on getting  :champion: for big fish!!
(making myself a mental note to toss my Rattle-traps more often, especially the one you painted for me!)

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Contrats!!! I just deleted a big post I've worked on all morning, in short saying I'd have picked the area west of Safari Campround in the big bay, out to the big point that is across from where the canal enters the lake, using a DT crankbait or lipless according to depth of cover. What section did you fish, if you don't mind saying...

Jim

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All I'm saying is in between the boat ramp at tracy's point and goldendale. Caught all our fish in that area. Tried up by the barge canal for a little while but wind was way too strong and bite was off down there.

T

·
0 Posts
Good Job I was raised in Inverness and lived in Dunnellon for a while right on the river. I used to fish the back waters a bunch before I moved to Texas in 1982. On a visit last year I caught some decent fish on a 6 inch hollow belly swimbait. they acted like they have never seen it. sorry to get back to you after you fished. and yes there is a bunch of sumps in there. The wind really just messes with you and you can always run into the river if it get's to bad. When I lived in Florida I really had no idea what wind was. Yes the lakes can get a little rough but let me tell ya here in Texas there are lakes that will make you get close to God on a bad day as you pray to make it back to the ramp.

B

·
0 Posts
Congrats on your :2nd: and big fish :clap: :clap:
Little late, but my picks would have been the blade and the trap (Honestly). No better baits for windy conditions along with the roll cast.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank's! Kite would have been a great idea though! I just couldn't believe those big fish chasing a trap! I was burning it too. I would cast it out, count to 4 (5ft deep with grass on the botttom) and just burn it back. Excellent way to put a limit in the boat but as for 8lber's chasing it, that's a new one. Not complaining though. Found out there's another tournament there next weekend. Wonder if I could talk the wife into letting me go one more time?? :wack:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts