Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What spinning reels does everyone use? How do you like it? How long have you had it?

I have a few different spinning reels but the two I like the best (of the ones I own) are my Diawa SS1600 Tournament and my Shimano Sahara 4000.

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
To be honest I realy dont use a spinning reel while bass fishing. I keep telling myself I need to, BUT thats as far as it gets lol.

I have a few cheapies that I use for ' pan fish '

G

·
Fish4FunInFl said:
To be honest I realy dont use a spinning reel while bass fishing. I keep telling myself I need to, BUT thats as far as it gets lol.

I have a few cheapies that I use for ' pan fish '

I'm like you. I only own 1 spinning reel that I use when bream fishing. I started out using spinning reels but have come to really enjoy my baitcasters. I personally can do the same thing with a baitcaster that I can do with a spinning reel.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I started using the shimano stratic years ago and i still got the original two.I do not use them as much just for drop shot and skipping under docks.But those do the trick for me.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I bought one of those 14.99 daiwa's from Dicks Sporting Goods last year and really impressed with it till I broke the tip while moving in my home last december. I just got a new rod for it last week. I just got another daiwa combo from Academy Sports on Sunday. Im anxious to try it out. :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
I own a Shimano Symetre 2500, a Quantum Catalyst 30, and a Johnny Morris (can't remember what size). The Symetre is a little small for my taste, but very smooth. I have had it about 2 years, on a skipping rod, not my fave combo. The Catalyst, on a Falcon Lowrider, is awesome for light cranks/jerkbaits. The Johnny Morris is on a BPS JM rod, good for shaky heads and other light worm rigs. I got what I paid for with that combo, but not much extra. It was awesome until I started fishing G Loomis rods, now it feels like junk. :-\ The reel is OK, not as smooth as the others, but it works well.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
i got two quntums that aint been fished in awhile ya'll know me and finesse fishing....it makes me cringe typing it. Dave

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have thrown nothing but spining rigs for the past 8 years, I almost always stick with the Shimano Spyrex, I like the trigger quick cast(till it wears out and I acctually have to flip the bail...LOL). I buy at least one or 2 a year. I think i have 5 rigged in the boat right now.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
new spinnig reel to come out the end of april www.wavecastsystem.com if you need more info on it I have one of the prototypes and will be one of the distributors in the mid west.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Last Spring I bought a Pflueger President model. All of my other spinning reels now feel like junk. Since the first one I have bought another one for my wife. The reel is not the cheapest but for $50-60 it's fantastic. Tournament fishing I have worn out the cheap combos and now stay away form them. Generally I only have one spinning reel rigged.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
macbass said:
new spinnig reel to come out the end of april www.wavecastsystem.com if you need more info on it I have one of the prototypes and will be one of the distributors in the mid west.
Hey Macbass, who makes this reel and where is it made? The concept sounds interesting, but the quality of the materials is important at that price.

I tend to go with Daiwa and Shimano spinning reels mainly because I am sold on the quality of materials and construction. I have the Symetre, Sahara, and my go-to is the Daiwa Sol.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have been throwing Spinning Reels now since I was about 10 ....

Right now I have been using a couple for different applications

I have been using a Okuma Hydro for UL panfishing and trout .... its not a bad little setup
I have a Challenger CS 1000 that I have been using now for about 2 to 3 years .... this reel IMO is possessed ,
not only do I get twists with it .... but I get lots of line slaps and sometimes the reel just puts out line when it wants to .... not my choice of a main reel by any means ....
I also have a Shimano FX 200 that I have been using now for almost 25 years .... and this reel has never giving me a problem .... other than changing the line and cleaning it ... thats the only maintence I have to do with this baby ...

I used a Diawa in the past but I cant remember the model .... i think it was a Saturn but I loved that reel ... it was so smooth .... and the pickup was great .... but I believe the model has been discontinued ....

Great question .... cant wait to see more replies to this

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Attachments

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
hawghunter see you bought a wavecast reel what do you think of it

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Spinning reels are all I use - not sure why - just never have found an interest in picking up a baitcaster. I have no problem with spinning gear and am extremely comfortable with it. I fish just about everything everyone else does with a few exceptions.

My favorite reels right now are Shimano Stradic 2500, 4000, and 5000s. Smoothest reels I have ever used bar none. Have fished other Shimano and Diawa reels, but the Stradic is a step up - costs a bit more, but I have found a couple for good price via EBAY. Looking at picking up a Quantum Energy reel here soon - just to see if I like it better.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Swede said:
Spinning reels are all I use - not sure why -
You sound like me Swede :)

I do use baitcasters in some applications.. BUT if I had the right size spinning gear (for flipping with heavy line for example) I think Id use spinning exclusively. Spinning does have some advantages over baitcasting and I think the biggest one is the fact that with an open bail spinning will allow the bait to fall completely vertical, where as the baitcaster will almost always create some arc in the fall of the bait due t o the line not coming off the spool as easily as it does a spinning.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Swede, ive got a Quantum energy and i love it but the bearings need replaced ,and ive only had it a couple months. Ive never had a problem with Quantum, baitcasters or spinning, so i feel its just a defective bearing because i dont fish with it that often. Dave

1 - 20 of 68 Posts