Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
If you could only take one lure with you fishing which lure would you take? This would apply to any type of water body.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
A purple plastic T-rigged Zoom Monster worm IF a bag of them is allowed. Only one worm would make for a very short trip. Otherwise it would have to be a Zara Puppy 3" in leopard frog. For 12 months a year survival-wise it would be a 3/8 oz white Arkie jig. Those are the highest odds baits I can imagine.

Jim

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
If I had to have just one bait with me? hmmm... I guess I would have to go with a 4" black worm, texas rigged with an 1/8oz weight and a 1/0 hook.

I was very tempted to say a slug-go but i do believe i have caught more fish year round, all 4 seasons, in all colors water, at all times of day, on the 4" black worm.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Until this year I would probably have said a balsa shallow water crankbait. Today I believe a swim senko or zoom Ultra-Vibe Speed Worm would be my choice.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Couldn't decide on one lure, it's against my principles of bass fishing logic and rule #1, never go anywhere with one lure, always have at least 2.
I think we had this topic awhile back??
If it's one type of lure, then I would fish a slip shot 5 1/2 inch purple worm for numbers or a jig all day for a big bite.
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
EH, EH, EH, now Tom. :rofl1: Of COURSE that defies all your experience and fishing sense. :fishing01: BUT. You are put on an island to survive. They let you keep the pocket knife, a two piece spinning combo, and some matches. You figure you can comb the beaches. What bait are you hoping to find in good condition?

I watched that guy that does Dinner Impossible on TV get put on an island with practically nothing and had less than a day to come up with a gourmet meal by dark. He scrounged around and found a rusted out BBQ grill, a few odds & ends, and one fish hook and some line. He was expected to catch the food and come up with a banquet. MAN, he DID it. You, sir, will be one up having your first pick of baits.

Is that bait in the last post your FINAL answer? :D Ding, dong, ding, dong....seconds ticking away

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
yall should know mine by now.
ultravibe speed craw,green pumkin or watermellon,these things are incredible from ohio to florida,perfect small profile for topwater, swimmin, or draggin real slow on the bottom.
gotta love em if you try em
rich

·
Registered
139 Posts
The way I have been catching fish on spinnerbaits, It would be a 3/16oz. SWL spinnerbait in chart./white and it wouldnt matter either standard bait or the Sidearm. :thumbup01:

·
Registered
696 Posts
My lure choice would be a 6" Zoom Scuppernong lizard Texas rigged. one of the best colors I have used.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Yep, that lizard and color is another great one. Nice & dark, mean looking. Good bass catcher.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Good choices ya'll. For me I would have to say a spinnerbait. Now that might surprise some of you all but in my opinion there is no more versatile lure that can be fished in as many places and types etc then a spinnerbait.

If I am on an island with 1 rod and reel and 1 lure it would be a spinnerbait. White or chartreuse and white with a small colorado blade followed by a willow blade.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Most of the best bass bait polls I've seen over the years keep plastic worms on top, spinnerbaits close to second. Plastic worms are the most consistent bass catchers. Jigs are lower than I expected, but are listed as the top big bass lure. I went with the best odds, but an angler that's an expert with a low rated lure could out fish someone using a top rated bait. I'd have to say purple plastic worms account for most of my bass over the last 40 years. Jigs would be second. Topwater plugs third, but much less likely to get hung up than a jig. In a survival situation I'd want the topwater since it would probably make it through the day.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
I can't remember going all day without fishing a jig, when bass fishing from a boat,
however wouldn't even consider a jig from shore. Plastic worm or top water is my choice from shore, simply because it's hard to loose a top water and plastics worms are easy to rig, carry and fish any type of cover or structure.
Jig are on everyones list of big bass lures, yet few bass fisherman use them or even know how to fish them properly, including the majority of the "pros".
Today anyone with the money to buy a bass boat and pay the entry fee is a "pro" bass fisherman. The "professional" bass fisherman that makes his or her living bass fishing, they know how to fish jigs, well... some do.
Tom

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
For me it would be a tube, either on a jig head or "t" rigged. They are my confidence bait.
Rodney

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Id take a 1\8oz tru tungsten weedwacker with a watermelon red yum houdini worm. I know i know im not the greatest finesse fisherman in the world, but its become my go to "oh crap" bait. Dave

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Ultravibe speed craw, 3/16 weight, 4/0 EWG Gama. I use a 5/0 when going weightless.

-Joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts