Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found that I get extremely wet while on my kayak. When I know I have to stay dry I end up putting on a pair of my rain pants and my rain jacket. The only problem is heat during the summer months. What do you wear while you are out on your yak or what are your tips to try to stay dry?

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I have a Sit-In so the chances of keeping dry are a bit better than those on Sit-On-Tops. I will wear a light rain suit if there is a chance of rain and I wear a pair of wool gloves with the fingers cut out in the colder weather. I find that I can get these somewhat wet and still feel warm. I usually wear a pair of Lacrosse Grange boots ( a light waterproof pair) for when I have to tread in the water to launch and land at least until the water warms up, then wear a pair of boat shoes.
I always try to stow a dry towel to use when need.
I have been out with a friend on one of his Sit-Ons and wore a light pair of waders.
In the heat of the summer, being a little wet can feel refreshing. And of course I ALWAYS wear my Life Jacket!

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Here is a strange tip that you may want to try on those long hot days out on the water with the sun blazing on your head. I have done this and it works.
I most often wear some kind of hat, but that doesn't always keep you head cool. Try peeling a large piece of Cabbage leaf ( wet it a bit if you like) and place it in your hat. Try to get a piece that fits comfortably.
You may smell a little funny, but you'd be amazed the difference of how cool you head will feel.
Try it !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
During the winter (I kayak fish 12months out of the year) I wear a pair of breathable waders. The breathable style will keep you dry and will not fry you when you it starts to ward a tad later in the day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.