Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a member of B.A.S.S. for many years renewing my membership usually for three yrs. at a clip whenever my expiration notice came in the mail. Last year my oldest son joined BASS on his own and payed with a bank debit card. Last week without any notice that his membership was about to expire or any correspondence asking if he would like to renew, Bass charged his account for the renewal fee ,effectively overdrawing an account that he rarely used and kept just enough money in to keep it open . The bank subsequently charged him the overdraw fees which are way more than cost of renewal for a BASS membership. My son called BASS /ESPN and told them he never authorized them to make the charge to his account. ESPN told him that he should have read the fine print and basically that he could kiss their ass.They would not rectify the situation.Fortunatly his local bank waived the charges and he cancelled his BASS membership. Has anyone ever heard of any sh#$ like this? If this is what Ray Scott's organization has come to(having to read the fine print) then I think I will cancel my membership. Bigger isn't always better and ESPN can kiss my ass!

·
Banned
539 Posts
I have seen many subscription renewals fine print such as this. Normally they will send notification that your card is about to be charged before it is done. Sorry to hear about your sons problem.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I agree that ESPN is trying to be to much of corperation than what BASS started out as,for the Fishermen and Fisherwomen. I am a member of BASS and I love BASS has done for the sport but I think its time to set aside the money and get back to the basics......US!!!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I went through the same thing with a credit card. They were automatically going to put the charge for Insiders, Bass Master and Times on the card # they had on file. Told them that I didn't use Insider and I wanted that gone. After about 30 minutes we got it worked out but it was a hastle. I advised that it would be best for them not to automatically charge any card because once disputed, they pay more to reverse the transaction and credit the account. They just want to keep the flow rolling in. Gosh I wish they would be less cprporate and get back to their roots!!

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
I actually just resubscribed for 2.99 a year ;)

whenever i see deals like this on ebay I snag em up. Even tho my membership is nowhere near expiration BASS just adds the new subscription purchase onto the end of my already active subsscription... i think my membership will expire in 2010 now. It's completely legit too.. no idea how they can do it but they do.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BASSMASTER-MAGA...ryZ82149QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

they have 89 subscriptions available. If you like getting BASS, Id jump on this deal. you cant beat it.

G

·
Jared, that is an excellent find and I just jumped on it. I am not a BASS subscriber as I never really liked having mags laying around my house that mutch haha. But or $3 it is a deal I thought what the hey.

Thanks man :thumbup01:

·
Registered
410 Posts
georgemro - first thing to remember about B.A.S.S., it is not Ray Scott's organization anymore :sad2:

and they aren't the only ones who will do this

lesson learned and a good reminder to all of us what these companies do with our information on file

·
Registered
139 Posts
Was fishing the Bassmaster weekend Series last year and paid with a debit card. Well this year my Bass suscritpion and Bass Insider suscription were due and they(Bass) tried to charge the card. The card was not in use anymore and when i called BASS they said there is a line of fine print on your suscritpion that allows them to do it. So I cancelled my suscription. I belive that my card is my card and nobody will charge on it with out my permission. Had the same problem with Dish Network. Except the charged over $300 and my account went overdrawn. Dish got pissed when I canceled my service(after my contract was up) and went with Direct Tv. Got to watch these people.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's why I always pay with a money order. :cheers: Keeps them from having any personal information, and I have the choice whether I want to renew or not.

NAFC is THE WORST about this. I have had more than a few conversations with friends, and with NAFC associates, telling them that if I wanted to renew my subscription, that I would TELL THEM that I wanted to. Finally, after not renewing it for 7 months, they stopped sending me requests.

It's true that you do have to watch out for the fine print, even in places where you don't think that it would show up. BASS sees that automatically charging an account for the subscription as a service. It's having to cutdown on their costs, as they don't have to send out requests, which cost money for paper, ink, stamps, etc., and they feel that the majority would be ok with it. I feel that they are wrong for charging any account, and having the gall to put it in fine print is just laughable. Have enough guts to put it where the subscriber can see what he's authorizing. :cussin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts