Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fish a lot of crawdad and dnger among others.I have never had much luck with tubes.Is this something I can live without or am i missing something????

G

·
I haven't had any luck with tubes either. I don't think that I would catch more fish with a tube than I would with a plastic bait that I have alot of cofidence in. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
72 Posts
don't think my post made it so here we go again,

I use a tube as a vegetation bait, and that's all, t-rigged and pegged, flipped into the holes of matted cover, i also use tubes with great success as a back up to a frog or rat when they hit and miss, the slow drop of the tube into the hole they make seems to double my catch ratio, atleast it seams that way to me.

I used to use a craw as a back up to the frogs and rats, until i got my butt waxed by the back of the boat in a tourny, he was using a watermelon weightless tube with a 3/0 gam hook, literally kicking my butt and he wasn't stealing fish, he was backing up his blow ups.

I think there is 2 keys to the tube with vegetation, match the tube as close as possible unless your in real dingy water, which doesn't usually happen up in the weeds even if your fishing a dingy lake or river, #2 is the slow presentation the tube gives you when flipped in behind a blow up!

Hope this helps,,,,,,I'm still a jig and pig man LOL

Cya on the Water

·
Registered
635 Posts
Tubes on c-rigs with a peice of styrofoam. That is deadly over short grass. They are one of my confidence lures. they can be fished like a fluke, weighted, used on a drop shot, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Apparently a lot of bass. Tubes come in a variety of sizes from tiny crappie tubes to giant Tora tubes. The Gitzit company founded by Bobby Garland and the Canyon lure company by another family member still make the original Gitzits and Garland jig head for the tubes. A Kahle style hook with a split shot pinched onto the shank below the hook eye is another popular rig. Tubes are one of the best bed baits ever!3" pearl white with chartreuse tail is the most popular bed color. Drop shot tubes with the weight about 6" to 8" the weight is very effective year round.
Tom
Ps; I keep thinking, didn't we discussed this already?

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Tubes, Tubes, Oh how I love ya! Rigged on an open jig head on weed edges or rocky bottoms or bounceing in current. "T" rigged in the weeds, pegged up under docks, brought through wood, with an internal wieght for that sspiraling fall, nice & skipable, swam over suspended fish. Dropshot deep, dropshot shallow. Placed alone walls, or around boulders. Oh you wonderful tube, how I love you!! :wink2: :wink2: :grin: :grin:
rODNEY

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
LOL Rodney!

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Cap & gown rigged tubes is one of the original techniques to give the lure a different look. What is a cap & gown, it's a hollow style tube slipped over a grub or spoon. With spawn and post spawn coming on is several areas during the spring the cap & gown/grub combination can be deadly.
Using a Owner Insider type tube jig, original type Gitizit and Berkley Gulp Dover worm cut off at the egg sack for a grub, makes up a great slow falling nest and post spawn lure. Use 1/8 oz with 6 to 8 lb spinning tackle and 3/16 for 8 to 10lb casting. If you want this rigged weedless add a dental rubber band from the jig line tie to the hook barb. Wet the jig head with the grub before slipping it into the Gitzit tube, poke the hook eye through the tube and tie it on. Strikes usually occur on the fall. For suspended post spawn bass, let the jig sink to the level of the bass and slowly retrieve with occasional jerk and pause action.
You can add contrast to this combination easily, for example a baby bass look two tone tube green/pearl with green/pumpkin worm or a chartreuse worm.
Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just started using 3 inch zoom tubes, texas rigged, weightless with a ball rattle slipped inside, GREAT fishing. The bass really ate them up, It seemed that the tubes ripped really easy, I went thru several in one afternoon. :shadrap_ft:

·
Registered
228 Posts
The only thing I do not like about tubes is that it takes away from my jig fishing. I flip the tube in places where one would normally flip a jig. I like the weights, all sizes, with hole (for inserting the hook point) in them and slide them to the inside of the tube. I use the 4" and 5" Tubby Tubes. Toledo Bend bass love the watermelon chartreuse combo or at least I think they do. If I took the tubes out of my boat, I bet I could gain at least 2 mph.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Oldfart9999 said:
Tubes, Tubes, Oh how I love ya! Rigged on an open jig head on weed edges or rocky bottoms or bounceing in current. "T" rigged in the weeds, pegged up under docks, brought through wood, with an internal wieght for that sspiraling fall, nice & skipable, swam over suspended fish. Dropshot deep, dropshot shallow. Placed alone walls, or around boulders. Oh you wonderful tube, how I love you!! :wink2: :wink2: :grin: :grin:
rODNEY

I do what he said , you do need to watch line size when using tubes on a jig head. I'll punk ya with 6-8 lb test where if you were using say 10-12 you wont get bit . It's all in the fall, used to think that was BS untill i got schooled and learned something new :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
The better brands of tubes seem to have more tail action. You can also use foam ear plugs if you want it to float over grass.

·
Registered
478 Posts
So how do you rig that then. Do you insert the foam inside the tube then t rig it like that? Or does the foat go onto the line? Does anyone have pics of the tube rigs they could post? I've tried fishing them weigtless and on a swimbait hook last year but no strikes. I thought that the weight being on the shank would give the bait a good presentation. It soundst like its more effective weithless or c-rigged.

thanx

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well, I use a Mizmo 2.75" green pumpkin tube, a number 2 EWG Gamagatsu hook and a 1/16 ounce worm sinker when I'm fishing for smallmouth. Sometimes I will use a Bass Pro 3" salty tender tube, rigged the same way. You could try using a larger or smaller sinker, but this way has been very productive for me.
Also, if you do use a foam ear plug, soak it in some kind of scent or attractant, preferrably craw.
Gary

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Out the foam in then "t" rig it, this works on a "c" rig also. I use internal weights, bps has them, nothing, & I do mean nothing skips better. If you go to forums home & in the search box type in tubes you will find a lot of good info on them. Hope this helps.
Rodney

1 - 20 of 28 Posts