Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trophy Smallmouth Bass Can't Resist Live Bait

Frankfort, Ky. - I was once a purist - until I got over it.

I used to feel that you should only catch smallmouth bass - or any fish for that matter - on artificial lures. Throwing a hair jig, grub, blade bait or other lure was the most sporting way to fish in my mind, and the best example of the concept of "fair chase" for fishing. "Only meat hogs use live bait," I would scoff with an air of moral superiority.

But, a funny thing happened on the way to my first trophy fish award for a smallmouth bass. My fishing buddies had no such compunctions about using a live shiner or large crappie minnow to fool fall and winter smallmouth bass on Lake Cumberland or Laurel River Lake.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What is this "live bait" you speak of? :lmao:

·
Premium Member
6,890 Posts
Hmmm! I think I heard of this Live Bait thing once upon a time????? but I could be wrong :dunno: Who manufactures it???????????????

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
soft craws and minnows slay em. Crawlers and leeches catch their fair share as well. Love them pig bronzebacks.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
It's funny how you mentioned Laurel River Lake. I went to high school in Corbin KY. Laurel River Lake is my home lake. It is an awesome Small mouth lake,but maybe even a better Walleye Lake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts