Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
I would seriously caution replacing that solid piece plywood deck section at the bow with a lid. My bow takes a lot of punishment hitting hard waves. It might be that solid plywood helps keep the bow from twisting, or even collapsing.

I treat the bow batteries as equal to the cranking battery where the StaynCharge cable ends and the All Charge takes up. The bow is where the cable exits the boat to the pickup harness. I haven't had a bit of problem tagging on the bow batteries which are in parallel. The mower battery is for the bow electronics, also hooked to the StaynCharge cable, providing the cleanest power possible. When underway in the boat I have 6 batteries in the recharge mode, two getting their alternating 5 minute zaps.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ouachita said:
I would seriously caution replacing that solid piece plywood deck section at the bow with a lid. My bow takes a lot of punishment hitting hard waves. It might be that solid plywood helps keep the bow from twisting, or even collapsing.
wouldnt want to tear up my baby...

The existing storage compartments have very unique lids that are hard to explain in words....maybe i'll snap a shot of them to explain a little better. I just want a traditional lift up lid on the compartments instead of what is there.

also im thinking about buying the troll well for my tm and making it easier to remove to gain access to the pair of batteries beneath it??? gotta see if that'll work. hmm...

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
MO, in the bilge there's a cranking battery plus two deep cycle batteries, either one or both capable of parallel wiring to the two in front by plugging or unplugging a separate hot wire that goes to the bow. I never tired it but could use 4 deep cycle at once on 12 volt. A little modification under the bow deck could put me into other voltage configurations. If my old trolling motor ever dies I'll probably step up.

So, 3 in the bilge, 3 under the bow deck, and one DieHard garden tractor battery. Total 7. When night fishing I add another deep cycle on top of the rear deck for a 12 volt fan or two, plus extra yellow lights.The next time I get into the bow space I plan to add a switch to the little battery because I think it's getting charged too much. They only last a season, sometimes into the second year.

All that adds weight, about eating up my boat's capacity, so when I expect company I remove the bow batteries. Meanwhile they help hold the bow down in rough water.

Jim

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Ouachita said:
MO, in the bilge there's a cranking battery plus two deep cycle batteries, either one or both capable of parallel wiring to the two in front by plugging or unplugging a separate hot wire that goes to the bow. I never tired it but could use 4 deep cycle at once on 12 volt. A little modification under the bow deck could put me into other voltage configurations. If my old trolling motor ever dies I'll probably step up.

So, 3 in the bilge, 3 under the bow deck, and one DieHard garden tractor battery. Total 7. When night fishing I add another deep cycle on top of the rear deck for a 12 volt fan or two, plus extra yellow lights.The next time I get into the bow space I plan to add a switch to the little battery because I think it's getting charged too much. They only last a season, sometimes into the second year.

All that adds weight, about eating up my boat's capacity, so when I expect company I remove the bow batteries. Meanwhile they help hold the bow down in rough water.

Jim
Jim,

If you ever get a chance, snap some pictures please. thx buddy :D I would love to see your setup.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
No problem for the bilge, I should have some digital photos of that and the boat too on this pc, but I won't take the bow plate off until I have to. It's a bear. Two of the bow batteries are Transcontinental gel type, very thin, very tough so far. You can lay them on their side.

When I do get back inside I'm going to stick the camera under there and try getting some better idea of the structure. I can't see much with head stuck through that hole. I know there's a solid styrofoam pack not far back, which I'd like to see if there's any way to make more room for a nearly 8' rod in the rod compartment. The '03 model didn't allow for much length, the rod tips dragging hull (Screeeeeech....like fingernails on a chalkboard |x| ) and last guide or two hanging up on something. I have to turn the rod to get it out. I'm interested in cutting a little foam away and inserting a piece of PVC pipe to hold rod tips better.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
yeah guys..i'll be asking you guys some questions in the coming months... my tracker has just pasted the 1 year mark and some changes will start to take place, i'll keep you guys posted.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Ouachita said:
No problem for the bilge, I should have some digital photos of that and the boat too on this pc, but I won't take the bow plate off until I have to. It's a bear. Two of the bow batteries are Transcontinental gel type, very thin, very tough so far. You can lay them on their side.

When I do get back inside I'm going to stick the camera under there and try getting some better idea of the structure. I can't see much with head stuck through that hole. I know there's a solid styrofoam pack not far back, which I'd like to see if there's any way to make more room for a nearly 8' rod in the rod compartment. The '03 model didn't allow for much length, the rod tips dragging hull (Screeeeeech....like fingernails on a chalkboard |x| ) and last guide or two hanging up on something. I have to turn the rod to get it out. I'm interested in cutting a little foam away and inserting a piece of PVC pipe to hold rod tips better.

Jim
thanks Jim :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
I think I found the sales receipt, showing "UPG" the brand, and the actual type is AGM, total $320 for 2 delivered. They are "maintenance free" and 12 month warranty, now much expired and still going.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
For the future I plan to add a brace in the rear & hinge the deck between the pedastel & the seat bulkhead so i can move my batteries & gas tank closer to the seats, it'll make it much easier to access the batts & should help the boat pop on plane faster. The floor will be replaced along with the floatation, & I'll have some welding done. The original owner kept the boat moored, I think with out a cover, all the water it has carried has eroded some of the floatation away, specially around the livewell outlets, which were poorly welded so i have a leakage issue. I want to add some bracing under the front deck & see about adding a bit of storage there as well as extending the deck bac to the console. Storage in this boat is an issue, it is only 16ft & there are no compartments.
Rodney

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a 1998 Tracker 165. It has two deep cycle batteries and a standard battery in the bilge. It has a 25 hp Mercury engine, a Minn Kota Edge trolling motor and a Lowrance X510C fish finder. I have added tilt and trim (gettin' too old to be doing a bunch of lifting) and a BPS on board charger. With the two batteries, I can fish with the trolling motor all day and still have power left. It is perfect for my purpose. I can fish around stumps, rocks and shallow water without worrying about damage. I can also load and unload the boat by myself.
Gary

Attachments

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I had a 1996 and a 2003 both 17' 50hp.
replaced the wood in the 1996 tracker up front.and had to replace alot of screws in the back,they were rusted through and broken. I just got marine plywood from Lowe's. It was a fun fix.Yes the wood dose help make them stronger,mine was riveted.
Loved them boats,and caught alot of fish from them.
cool
Bill

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks, CFLcoangler. Next to my wife, kids and grandkids, it is my pride and joy. I have ordered a t-guard from an advertiser on this site and am going to get some ez slide trailer pads. Then I will have my little rig set up my way.
Gary :army: :flag2:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
as soon as I get a new trolling motor (24volt), a :stayncharge: system and a sportsman series powerpole... it'll be set up my way finally.... too bad thats a couple grand away... haha.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
I own a Tracker Pro 16 2009. Downgraded outboard to 9.9, upgraded trolling motor to 24 volt 71lb thrust. Installed a Humminbird 797c2 with side imaging to the bow. I love it!!!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.