Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always stuck to green natural colors for topwater frogs, no matter the color of the water. Am I missing out on bites? What are the best frog colors for clear, stained, and muddy water? Looking at stocking up at Tackle Warehouse soon, in particular the Spro frogs. Advice? Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on the type of frog fishing I am doing will depend on color. If I am using a soft plastic buzz frog like the Strike king rage toad I will have 3 different colors. Green Pumkin/Chartruse, Pearl, and Okeechobee Toad. they are easy to swap colors depending on water clarity and if it's cloudy, sunny so forth. On the hollow body side I stick with 2 colors. Snag Proof Ish's Phat Frog in Platinum Plus and Freds Frog. again water clarity fish activity and weather will decide. Usually don't wory about hollow body buzz frogs since I use the soft plastic frogs for buzzing.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
On the whole 3, maybe 4 colors of frogs are all you need.
Something to give a good contrast = Black of some sort. I like black with yellow stripes
Something that is vaguely natural = Green
Something for lightly stained waters = Putty
I also like white, but that is a lot of personal preference. Out of all of the frogs currently in production my favorites are the River 2 Sea line of Bully-Wa and Dahlberg Diving Frogs.

Brandon

·
Registered
13 Posts
I stick with 3 colors. Natural (green,brown,yellow), white, and black. Just remember its the bottom and the legs the bass sees not the top of the frog. Not all companies match the colors on the top and bottom of the frog.

·
Registered
117 Posts
bass_wookie said:
I stick with 3 colors. Natural (green,brown,yellow), white, and black. Just remember its the bottom and the legs the bass sees not the top of the frog. Not all companies match the colors on the top and bottom of the frog.
I will agree on this as I normally start out early with a blk frog . As the day goes on I will try the other colors .

:flag2:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
bass_wookie said:
Just remember its the bottom and the legs the bass sees not the top of the frog.
I would beg to differ with you sir. On many frogs, the butt sits so low in the water that a bass can easily see the back of the frog. With other frogs, such as the Dahlberg diving frog, the whole frog is visible to fish.

Brandon

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
As far as hollow bodies frogs go, as water clarity diminishes, go darker...Dark colors seem to work almost anytime, whereas lighter colors seem to produce only at certain times of day on my lakes...

For plastic frogs that are retrieved faster, for some reason lighter colored bellies seem to work better for me...I believe the legs gurgling gets their attention, then the flash of an underside creates their reaction bite...

It still amazes me the number of times my frogs get hit literally as soon as the frog hits the water, sometimes seeming to even hit the lure a fraction of a second before it even makes contact with the water......It reinforces the fact that fish can see above the waterline...Maybe it's the shadow approaching the water that they are actually reacting to??

·
Registered
112 Posts
I completely ignore chasing down the perfect color. Especially for topwater lures. My color choices across the board are fairly simple. Something dark, something bright, something natural. With topwaters, 90% of the time I really don't care. The action of the lure is FAR more important, IMO. I have seen days where I was throwing a standard Bronzeye, and my partner was throwing a Bronzeye popper, both in the same colors. The popper was receiving many more strikes. I noticed this and quickly made the switch to a popper in a different color. Instant action. Fish can see above the surface of the water, unless they're directly underneath the lure. Everything does become blurred somewhat, but silhouettes are visibile.

Don't put as much thought into color. Think more along the lines of lure action and noise levels.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All great advice here today. Thanks alot. I picked up a bronzeye popper today in natural green color. With it being 9-10 bucks a pop, I really cannot afford to stock a lot of colors. As I can, I will begin to get some light and dark frogs to try as well.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
bass_wookie said:
I have to agree here, I have always wondered why they make the top so realistic looking and dont pay much attention to the bottoms since the fish usually only see the bottom, but I guess they only see the bottom of a real frog too. Go figure. I also stick with about three colors, something with green\yellow, white\black and black.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A lot of companies are making all kinds of whacked out frog colors. Just remember.....the bass is looking up at the frog. Worry more about the belly color than all the pretty stuff that's above the water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts