Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting my trolling motor repaired today, the repairman said that he believes that my digital circuit board went out because i was charging my batteries while I had the trolling motor plugged in.

Wanted to pass along this tip to my fellow bassholes:

1) do not charge batteries with trolling motor plugged in
2) Do not immediatally use trolling motor right after charging batteries (wait 24 hours).

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
This really seems strange to me, since most everyone I know never unplugs their trolling motor while they are charging the batteries, and I only unplug the charger when Im pulling the boat out to go fishing, and I have never had a problem. But maybe im just lucky.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, he said that the digital boards can't handle it and it causes them to go out. This was an authorized MotorGuide/Minn Kota repair shop so I take his word for it. I've never heard of it either but I will unplug that motor from now on and only keep it plugged in while on the lake.

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
Wait 24 hrs to use after charging? That makes no sense to me...I have never heard anybody recommend such a thing, on any type of battery, be it deep cycle, cranking, whatever....

Totally defeats the purpose of a product like Stay N Charge, for example, that charges your TM batteries while trailering or whenever your big motor is running.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
CaptainMo said:
Wait 24 hrs to use after charging? That makes no sense to me...I have never heard anybody recommend such a thing, on any type of battery, be it deep cycle, cranking, whatever....

Totally defeats the purpose of a product like Stay N Charge, for example, that charges your TM batteries while trailering or whenever your big motor is running.
I have to agree, what tournament angler can wait 24 hours to run his electirc motor in a 2-3-4 days tournament? I bring my boat in at night, charge the batteries. In the morning I unplug the charger and then on the water within minutes. Have done this for 40 years without a problem.

As far as plugging and unplugging the electric motor when charging. My tech did tell me the same thing when using the newer digital motors....UNplug it when charging the batteries as it can complete a circut and damage the board. He went on to say if you shut off the master power switch on the Motorguide pedal that would work too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't have a digital motor however i unplug my trolling motor as soon as I get off water for the day because I was always forget to flip the switch on my foot pedal to the off position or sometimes when I would put my strap to hold foot pedal in place I would accidentaly flip switch to cont. position and my motor would remain powered on ride home and if I didn't notice would be that way while stored, so I just got in habit of unplugging everytime.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
All of that may be good advice but I can barely remember to turn the thing off before I put the cover on let alone unplug it.

As for waiting 24 hours. I am on a 3 week fishing trip and unplug 15 minutes before I put the boat back in the water. It may be wrong but I have done it this way for a long time.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
I have to agree, I understand how unplugging, or turning off the trolling motor during charging could be benefitial. But letting the batteries sit for 24 hours, before using the trolling motor, thats not going to happen.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know either but I'm willing to take the repair guy's advice. Only takes a second to unplug the trolling motor. You can do what you will but I thought this info was worth sharing, hopefully save someone some money.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hey Derrek(sp) A really good reason to unplug TM's is in my case I have to step over it to hook up my bow eye cable when I put my boat on the trailer. If you ever hit the "Go" switch while leaning over the TM prop, it is ....uncomfortable, so that's when I unplug mine. It's good policy to do this.

·
Registered
442 Posts
"uncomfortable..." is a very interesting assessment. This past week end when I tested my prop speed with my arm I seem to remember using some more colorful terms. I was able to confirm that my TM prop still turns super fast. Fortunately no blood was drawn and no animals were injured during this test.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.