Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know had much more important things to do the last day but I decided that everything else would just have to wait until I finished the Fish Log that I had in mind. :thumbup01:

This is The Official TheBassholes.com Fish Log. It is NOT a Trip Log... but a Fish Log. It is meant to log an individual fish. I do have a Trip Log in the works that will be to log all keeper fish caught during a single outing.

This is what it looks like:

[smg id=1335]
This is only a sample of The Official TheBassholes.com Fish Log
Don't print this one out. It is of lesser quality than the full size document and will not print full page​

You may download the full size high resolution document (716 kbytes) in Adobe Acrobat PDF form Here

This document copyrighted to TheBassholes.com and Jared Pease
You may freely use and print this document for personal use, as often, and for as long, as you like.
Alterations of this document are strictly forbidden.
Redistribution of this document may be done so as long as this document remains in it's original form and a link back to www.TheBassholes.com is provided.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As you notice, there are numerous areas for notes that cannot be summed up with a simple single field. This will allow you to describe the event of your catch in greater detail. Of course you don't need to make notes and go into detail, but the one thing I have learned over the years is that when you think notes aren't necessary for a certain detail, that you are sure you will remember - take notes because you WILL forget that detail eventually. The more detail you give the more your log will help you in the long run.

The "Water Conditions" area is pretty self explanatory. Though some may wonder what "Difference" is. This field is for when you know what full pool of a body of water is and also are aware of how many feet lower, or higher, it is. An example would be: Lake Murray full pool is 360 feet above sea level. Currently the level of the lake is 355.8 feet above sea level. So in the "Difference" field I could place "-4.2"

You will notice in the “Water Condition” area I go beyond “Clarity” to also include “Tint”. Simply saying you fished muddy conditions can be ok, but that is quite a broad description. For example; I can fish Dargans, down the road from me, and I will be fishing muddy water – a brownish muddy water. Then I can go fish Lake Murray or Lake Wylie after a good rain storm and I am in a whole different ball park as I attempt to catch fish out of the Strawberry Quick colored water that the red clay of the Carolina highlands create. Again, this extra detail will aid you greatly in the long run. It may even lead you to the discovery of patterns as it can (and will - over time) show you correlations between bait color and water tint.

I also include tidal data fields. By filling out the tide data (what time high tide is and what time low tide is during the period you are fishing) and then selecting one of the three stages, you will be able to keep a good record of your fishing trends and locations during the tidal changes. Any angler that fishes tidal water knows that if you don't pay attention to the tidal information, you may as well pop open a Pepsi, get out a sandwich and call it quits for the day.

Now when you get to the "Bait Details" you may or may not need all the fields. There are some baits where "Size" is not applicable such as a jig where all you need to make note of is the weight and color. However with a worm, you will need both size and weight. With a crankbait you may need neither of the two and only need to fill in the "Bait" field i.e. Rapala DT6.

I also include "Line" because if you have record of catching fish on a crankbait that dives 7 feet but don't note that you were using 17 pound test to keep the bait from diving so deep, then when you tie on that bait to the 10 or 12lb test you normally fish your crankbaits with, your results could be drastically different.

Next I break “Cover” and “Structure” up. Many folks lump many types of cover into the structure category and, well, that's just wrong. You may notice that Bridge is in both areas. That is because a bridge can be one or the other. It can provide cover - e.g. shade, a vertical wall to orient too, over hangs etc... but likewise it can also be structure... the cement foundations below the surface that change the bottom contour of the body of water at that point create structure for the fish to relate to. I give "Other" fields in both categories because let's face it; there are countless forms of cover, i.e. a mud line or a moored sailboat. I don’t really believe that there are too many more types of structure. I am sure there are others but you will find that the forms I have listed for your choice will cover 90% of all you will fish. If there is another prominent piece of structure that I have missed, please let me know and I will add it.

If you notice in “Location” I have "Area" yet I also have "Lake" and "State" at the very top of the page. If you are fishing a small pond then chances are you may not need to worry about “Area”, but if you are fishing a 170,000 acre behemoth like Santee Cooper, or similar lake, "Area" becomes very important. For example: On Santee Cooper I fish many areas. Areas that are named things like "Crappie Neck" ,"Jacks Creek", "Packs Flats", "Slave Ditch", "The Jungle", "Sparkleberry Swamp" and the list goes on and on and on. Noting the area you caught a fish in greatly reduces the water in contrast to simply putting down the lake name.

"Waypoint" (if you have access to them) shrinks the water even more. I left the "Waypoint" field large enough to put GPS coordinates if you so choose. Though you can also simply put down your waypoint number if you have it saved in your GPS unit.

I have included a sketch area, as well. Sometimes GPS and a good memory just don’t cut it. Then again, maybe you don’t have GPS in the boat you are in or perhaps you are on foot. Writing "I stood next to this rock and faced this stump and then turned until me, the stump and an object on the opposite shore were in a perfect line and that is how I bounced off that submerged brush pile" can give you a bit of information... but many times I find a quick sketch to accompany my notes really does the trick. Many pros actually go into great detail with a sketch pad when on the water. Frank Scallish is one example of a pro that does this. This is why I have included two good sized boxes side by side; the left for the notes and the right for your sketches. I placed a compass on it too as you can see. Don’t forget to rotate your sheet so that your arrow points north before you start drawing.

Last but not least, I have included an area to keep track of moon phases, for those who pay attention to them. I have only listed the 4 major phases, leaving off crescent and gibbous. The field "Adjust" at the end of the moon phase category is for taking note of how many days before or after a major phase the fish you are recording was caught. If the full moon is in 3 days, then I would check "Full" and in "Adjust" I would write "-3" If the full moon just passed 3 days ago, then I would write +3 in adjust. When looking back at that record it would translate as Full Moon plus 3 days.

So there you go - print out a stack and load them into a 3 ring binder and you're ready to start keeping a detailed log of each and every fish you catch.

:thumbup01:

Anyway, I hope that you find using a fish log as helpful as I have over the years.

If you need any help with this Fish Log, please don't hesitate to let me know. If you notice an error on my part, please let me know that as well so I can make corrections right away.

This is designed to be used in conjuction with TheBassholes.com Official Fishing Trip Log which you can read about and download from Here

Thank you and Enjoy. :D

Jared

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Back to the top!!!!!!!!!
Here it is folks, just what youv'e been asking for "The Fishing Log"
Let's get to down loading this puppy :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Thanks for doing this, Jared. It took a lot of time and effort. :clap: :clap: :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

·
Registered
611 Posts
I printed it off. Looks great! I really like all of the fill-ins. Makes it easy to quickly log information, even if you don't write up any special notes.

Thanks much Jared!! :clap: :thumbup01:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Jared, is there no end to your many talents? :D :D Yo-you kewl like dat home slice. :cool1: :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all :D

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dangit! LOL I just realized A HUGE mistake I made! I didnt put the structure data in the structure field.. I have the cover data there. I will fix it and reupload the fixed version...

Guess thast what I get for working at 4 in the morning with 2 hours of sleep in 36 hours lol

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok I have replaced the download with the corrected version. If you downloaded this already, I advice downloading the corrected version so you have the proper structure data

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Way to go Jared excellent job. Just another benifit of the best bass site.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And just a reminder, Natekelsi made a fishing log for The Bassholes too. You can get his Here You could use the two of these logs together if you wished. :D

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
We got freakin' talent pouring out our ears on this site. Quality stuff, gentlemen. :thumbup01:

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
:clap:
Leave it to Jared and Bassholes to put this kind of Time, Effort, and Enthusiasm in something like this that will, offer important information, add a bit of fun and also make us all better anglers. :clap:

·
Registered
50 Posts
this could work out great........I started one years ago and gave up....but really kick myself today for not have the deligance ........thx

1 - 20 of 27 Posts