Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

The loss of a fellow angler

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  retired-psg 
#1 ·
A very near and dear friend of ours - and the man who was to be the Best Man at our wedding passed away on Sept. 6th after a 7 month battle. Frank - was taken to the ER the Monday after Rob's dads Memorial Service in Feb. and underwent a quad-bypass. From there it was down hill after he contracted MRSA from the surgery and the doctors didn't treat it (my understanding is the doctor who did the surgery left for Africa - or some such place, 2 weeks after the surgery). The MRSA got so bad that the next hospital he was rushed to tried a new MRSA specific drug and just as they thought they had it under control it came back with a vengeance. After some 15 surgeries which included trying to repair his aortic artery after it ruptured because of the MRSA, Frank basically bled to death because they couldn't repair it. Try as I might, each time I've been with his wife - I'm at a loss for words - so I'm asking that my angling family please keep Ruth and the Scerbo family in your thoughts and prayers as they try to get through this very difficult time.

thank you,
Lynda

#5 ·
oldschool said:
What a tragic story. Most hospitals today require a nose swob for MRSA anyone entering the facility. The family must be devastated, they re in my prayers.
Tom
Unfortunately they don't - and he didn't have it prior to the first surgery (that's when he contracted it). I actually had it too after my last surgery - a similar story, doctor wouldn't treat it until I ended up being rushed to the ER - and even then, they tried to avoid the MRSA and admit me as a cardiac patient (keep in mind, my surgery was a ligament repair on my ankle). The difference I think is.. not only did I build my system up heavy on vitamins prior to the surgery - but as soon as this ER doc said "admit" and "cardiac" I started asking very pointed questions - like, "did your cat scan of my heart show anything?" (they made me sign an AMA)... anyway, I digress... so I believe mine stayed local in my leg from the knee down because I had built my immune system up prior to the surgery - but it did cause the repair not to heal and subsequently re-tear (repeatedly since).

#6 ·
thank you for your thoughts, prayers and replies. I'm having a very difficult time with this so I know Ruth and his family certainly are as well :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.