Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we were discussing any other sport, golf for instance, there would be a few very specific correct ways to do things. A sand wedge to get outta the sand, a putter to putt it into the hole. Specific tools to accomplish the desired goal. However, we arent discussing golf (thank god! They should flood all the golf courses and make bass lakes ;) ) We are discussing bass angling.
The beauty of bass angling is that there is no specificly correct way to do anything. What works for one person may not work for the next. Someone can spend all day telling us how to fish a dock and for the them and many others, what they told us will work. Then someone else can come along and tell us a completely different way to fish a dock, and that will also work for us and many others.

With bass angling there are so many countless possibilities to reach our desired goal thats is very hard to say what is wrong and what is not. The only one able to tell us what is wrong and what is right is the fish itself.

Because of that fact, everything that every Basshole has to share is extremely valuable to every other Basshole. Every bit of information no matter how unique, how simple, how common, how complex, how old, how new, or how many times you think we have all heard it, can teach someone something. Even if you have been only fishing for bass since this morning, sharing your experiences and thoughts, can and will benefit another angler. It is a rock hard fact that no angler knows everything there is about bass angling nor will one ever achieve that goal. Bass angling is a constantly changing and growing sport. While the tried and tested techniques of yester-year may still catch bass, there is always something new popping up that will do just as well, if not better.

With that in mind, dont be afraid to repeat, or post about a topic someone has already posted about. Perhaps you have a different way of explaining the same thought that someone else can understand more easily. It's always possible. One thing I have learned over the years is that repetition can breed perfection. So it doesnt matter if there are 100 other posts about chunking spinnerbaits. If you want to discuss chunking spinnerbaits, then go for it. if you want to simply respond to someone elses thread, then thats fine, go for it. Or if you want to start your own new thread about your thoughts of chunking spinnerbaits, go for that as well.

The more we post, the more we share. The more we share, the more we learn. The more we learn, the more bass we catch. :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Good thoughts this morning! To know all there is about bassin would require fishing with every basser in the world under all the vastly variable conditions. Bass knowledge is infinite. Nobody has enough of it. Nobody. I don't and won't. I can't live 2,000 years. I'd rather just TRADE information HERE and save all that travel expense and live a normal life FISHIN. :fishing01: and catchin :fishing02:

Even though sometimes we might merge some similar threads it's inevitable there will come out of those new thread branches based on a slightly different idea or old technique nobody brought up. Maybe it came up but isn't presented in a clear way, needing more discussion.

I've been lurking way back and doing some searches. MANY topics were left dangling, incomplete. Some of that might have been because the topic was out of season, talking summer stuff during the winter. We could go on forever just adding to existing topics. We could take the next 6 months exploring jigs alone, for instance.

So lets hear it from every member. Just learning where you fish and what kind of water is news to us. How you get a few bites is news.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Bass fisherman or fisherman in general are a secretive lot by nature. We don't like to share anything that might allow someone to catch our bass.
It's been this way for as long as I can remember. The two best bass fisherman on the lake where I grew up, Boots Pryer and Red Cowan were good buddies, except when it came down to discussing how or where they caught bass, then total silence. Both took me fishing and taught me their techniques under the promise that I would never tell anyone and had to keep it a secret.
That is the way with fisherman, especially bass fisherman. Then back in 1974 I was asked to do a bass fishing seminar. Having been to several seminars that only pushed a specific lure for some manufacture or sit and listen to some guy boast about all the bass they caught, I decided to share what I had learned about bass fishing at that time and sat down and wrote the Cosmic Clock and Bass Calendar.
Sharing information is an essential part of bass fishing, but it is not a tradition. You are looked at with scepticism and sometimes criticised for your knowledge or lack of knowledge. The internet invites all people to share information, some of it real, some not. With that in mind if we don't share bassing knowledge it will die with the fisherman, like both Boots and Reds knowledge would been taken to the grave.
Most of what you read in fishing magazines is promotional to enhance the career of a certain fisherman or sell specific products. Thats the way of business, they must sell their sponsors product to survive. All we do here is share information and all we need to do is be honest and share good information that helps our fellow bass fisherman. The sport will continue to grow as there is no end to learning.
Tom

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:clap: Jim and Tom! :clap:

·
Registered
109 Posts
thanks for those posts jared ....

im new here ... but not fishing ... so it might take me a little time to get accustomed to this board ...
and I like to learn new things as well ......

but its nice to know that we wont get hollared at if we post a topic that has been covered once ....

I do apologize in advance thou if I do this ....
But as well I hope that I might be able to teach you a new trick or tip as well ....

so thanks .... for making us newbies feel at home

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
PA, This site has several forums like Tips & Tactics, Rods & Reels, Electronics along with the General Discussion that makes it much different thank most message boards. There is also a search tool that allows you to search key words by placing quotation marks "word" around the key word to search the archives. Another nice feature for us that are spelling challenged is the spell check feature. Just be careful not to spell check other folks posts when responding.
I'm one of those guys who tend to ask people go back and read archival information on other boards.This is because of the hundreds of hours lost trying to repost the same answers to questions over an over. However don't need to do that very often on this board because it is easier to find things.
Welcome aboard and don't feel intimindated to ask any question, someone will get you a answer.
Tom

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pabassman said:
but its nice to know that we wont get hollared at if we post a topic that has been covered once ....
You got it. :thumbup01: You will never get scolded or reprimanded for making a post on a topic that has already been covered. :thumbup01: One of the things I hated hearing most in my decade plus time on the internet was, when asking a question, "Do a search before you ask!" Sometimes you just dont know what to search for. Other times you have an idea of what to search for and you do search but you get 10000 search results and you havent got the time to sift. I know how it feels. Granted, our search on The Bassholes is a valuable and powerful tool and i recommend everyone use it because the info you will find is awesome... but there is no requirement saying you MUST use it. So dont be ever afraid to post topics or questions. Thats what we're here for :D

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oldschool said:
Welcome aboard and don't feel intimindated to ask any question, someone will get you a answer.
Tom
I couldnt have said it better myself! :clap:

·
Registered
410 Posts
that's what I love about this forum and these wonderful people, I know very little about bass fishing, but, I have learned a great deal just from reading everyone's posts, I know when I post the pics of the results of tournaments held at Seminole Lodge, everyone lets me know they appreciate it, even though I don't have a clue what the guys used to catch their fish, they ain't talking :dance01: and I kind of got chastised for posting only pics and not info on another board, and that really bothered me :neener: is kind of what my response was. I posted in my introduction that I am new to this, but I feel so welcome here, even though I don't have much to contribute, ya'll are some of the best I have found and I can't wait to get the chance to meet you in person. :clap: thanks Jared, for a wonderful place to come home to :champion:

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Don't Forget to Keep your left arm straight, Right elbow tucked in, palms facing each other, head down, eye on the lure, weight on your left leg ... Thank God Fishing isn't as technical as Golf.

·
Registered
140 Posts
They should do that, and they can play underwater golf

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Where else can you go and meet such wonderful people as Bass Fishing. I have met Pros and newbies as well I always have something to share with them and pass on from my experience of over 60 years of angling. I learn something new everyday about fishing here on this web. Thanks to all of you who contribute. :dance01: :dance01: :thumbup01: Even MO :rofl1:

·
Premium Member
11,455 Posts
Jared said:
However, we arent discussing golf (thank god! They should flood all the golf courses and make bass lakes ;) ) We are discussing bass angling.
Amen!!! I have caught some really big Hawgs out of those golf course ponds. Jared for president. :thumbup01: :clap: :thumbup01:

Great post Jared, I think everyone who had ever cast a line can bring something usefull to the table by posting their experiences. No one knows everyting there is to know about bass fishing nor will they, its an ever evolving process. I hope everyone on this great site will get involved in this and we can all learn from each other.

I love the :tbh: :thumbup01:

T

·
0 Posts
I pretty much agree with all that was said. I have always gotten a sense of satisfaction with sharing fishing knowledge with others and this forum is great place to do just that. I also agree with flooding all the golf courses and turning them to lakes. I think that might even help the economy because then all them doctors and lawyers and other assorted professionals would not have to pass there high dolor country club memberships on to the consumer.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
stealthfisher said:
Don't Forget to Keep your left arm straight, Right elbow tucked in, palms facing each other, head down, eye on the lure, weight on your left leg ... Thank God Fishing isn't as technical as Golf.
It's all in the hips!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts