Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Guys and Gals it is time to hit the road. I head out tomorrow for Kimberling City, MO to compete in the FLW Ranger Owners tournament on Lake Fork. I may not be on-line much but will check in when I have the opportunity.

If anyone has any tips or hints on this lake they would be appreciated. Drew was able to get me a little 411 to start my pre-fishing activities and it was greatly appreciated. Send me a PM if you hear of anything.

Take care and talk to ya soon -

T

·
0 Posts
I don't have any information for you but I do wish you the best of luck!!

:victory: :fishing01: :fishing02: :thumbup01:

·
Registered
801 Posts
I don't think Lake Fork is in Kimberling City, Mo. :lmao:
But good luck anyway!

K

·
0 Posts
I was going to say Lake Fork? That is in East Texas Tom. I can give you some pointers on Lake Fork but not on Table Rock per say, other then what we spoke about already.
Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Think finesse and spots. The spots will be on primary secondary points or out on main lake major points and breaks. Check out the posts today in general Discussion on patterning. Spots like rock piles with wood if you can locate them. Drop shot with a spider jig as a weight and 8" #1 dropshot hook with 5 1/2' finesse worm. Spots love green shades and cinnamon with chartreuse tips. Remember spots like to peck to declaw before biting hard, be pateint and let them load up the with pressure before crank setting. Did not see this in time to be much help with specifics like 6 lb fluorocarbon, 3/16 oz weight and 3/8 oz jigs. Good luck.
Tom
Note; if you drop shot, the bite will usually be after the weight hits bottom, let the worm have a foot of slack and drift down to the bottom, about a 10 seconds, then lift slowly until you feel a peck or the weight. Lift the weight or jig off the bottom about 6" and drop back down and repeat this process as you slow work up hill a few feet.Spots tend to follow the lure/worn down to the botton and strike when it moves up or just before hitting bottom.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Also, when you are fishing for spots, ALWAYS pause the lure for a second when you start to reel it back to the boat. ALWAYS. After you are out of the strike zone, give the reel handle a few quick cranks, then pause for a second. I have caught many fish on a reaction strike this way.

T

·
0 Posts
mary dean said:
But good luck anyway!
I wasn't going to say anything but I thought there just might be a Lake Fork in Kimberling City, Mo. LOL

That would be my luck, I would "try" to correct someone and it would be by chance that-that state has the same named lake. LOL

·
Banned
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Texas Bass Pro said:
mary dean said:
But good luck anyway!
I wasn't going to say anything but I thought there just might be a Lake Fork in Kimberling City, Mo. LOL

That would be my luck, I would "try" to correct someone and it would be by chance that-that state has the same named lake. LOL

Nope everyone was right, this is the second time I typed "Lake Fork" while thinking "Table Rock". Maybe there is something good in my future for "Lake Fork" :rofl2:

Thanks for the information oldschool and hi steel basser and certainly will listen to it and work it into my pre-fishing this week. Come on Mary, ya got to know something about "Table Rock" :wack: thats kinda in your back yard. ( i think I typed it right this time :) ) Yeah, Kieth I brought my RedTraps with me :D

On a side note I heard from Drew (via PM), our buddy is awful low in spirits, please keep him in your prayers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I bet he was thinking about those segmented baits from Lake Fork Tackle! :tongue2: Still can't find them btw! and they do not answer email. :sad2:

David

Texas Bass Pro said:
mary dean said:
But good luck anyway!

T

·
0 Posts
davidva said:
I bet he was thinking about those segmented baits from Lake Fork Tackle! :tongue2: Still can't find them btw! and they do not answer email. :sad2:

David
Hey David, I have plenty of those baits down here. I could get some for you if you like. Just let me know. Just PM me your address.

·
Banned
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I am back, Just an awesome time, I loved the lake. The fish had to be 15" and during pre fishing I was on good quality fish. For this old country boy it was the first time I caught smallies. These footballs were worth the trip all by itself. Just an cool fish and a real fighter for it size.

I was just awe struck in this gin clear water!

I had a super practice. I followed Drew's, Toms and High Steels advice during prefish. I located Kentuck's, Smallies and LMB on main lake points where bluffs fell off into tiers. Best points had the wind blowing over the point verses into the point.

I also located fish in the back of coves that held similar bluff structure similar to the main lake points and close to the spawning areas and docks (had to be empty).

Topwater worked good in the mornings, Jerks baits, shakey head and TR worms pulled off the shelves were attacked on the fall. Small grubs, tubes and jigs swam worked well for smallmouth during midday and early afternoon on secondary points where chunkrock changed into pea gravel or visa versa. I found these spots with a CR feeling the bottom with the 1oz weight. This even produced some LM but was not a consestant producer.

If wood was present it had to be cypress and not hardwood (no clue why other than the cypress had many branches like a christmas tree, where the hard wood were mainly just verticle structure)

I had a special spot a local gave me inside a marina that no one fished for the early morning topwater spook and
pop r bite that was holding huge sopts and LM. I took the hooks off the spook and pop r and had multiple huge blow ups.

During the week the weather was cloudy and rained almost every day. At the pre tournamant meeting I drew the 44st starting position out of 277 boats. This was encourging as it game me a good shot at getting to my marina spot to fish those early morning fish. Well Saturday came and so did the fog and later blue bird skys. We were delayed taking off and lost about an hour total fishing time and when we were released I still had to run blind using my electronics to get me to the spot. The marina bite was there but all short fish 13" and 14" fish. I moved around to all my other spots and caught a lot of fish but still all in the 13" to 14" catagory. At the end of the day no fish measred so I weighted 0 lbs at the end of the day.

You are going to think I an crazy ans I hate I zeroed but this was an awesome fishery and ther fight the smallies and a few hybrids schoolies (only on gold traps) gave me were worth the trip. An experience I will remember for a very long time.

Bleow are the stats on number of fished cought

# of Fish Caught %
0 82 29.60%
1 26 9.39%
2 42 15.16%
3 28 10.11%
4 28 10.11%
5 71 25.63%

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm happy you still had a great time! I sure know what it feels like to ZERO... But, it seems to get better :thumbup01:

·
Banned
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If the tails are true I heard out of the lake into the White River fishing bedding bass, in the lake topwater and main lake points drop shot and sharked. Other than the river, not much different than what I did. They just had better quality fish. I went through three limits of 14 inchers, but no 15" keepers. Bummer, but not complaining I won through the adventure in fishing a new lake, catching my first smallmouth, and meeting new fishing challenges.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts