Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to pouring lead, I never would have gotten into it but I won this Do-It Trokar mold on Facebook. I had to use some old weights I had cause that was the only spare lead I had,I have extra skirts to replace on my jigs and spinnerbaits.Another hobby to get into,just gotta find me some lead.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Check recycle centers, scrap metal places, tire shops for wheel weights, plumbers, old print shops, and home remodelers.

I have gotten lead and lead alloys from all of those places. Just this afternoon my next door neighbor brought me a 3' piece of lead pipe that he scrapped off a job today and the owner wanted him to dispose of it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Jigman. Is there a big difference between hard and soft lead ? On the mold it says " use soft lead ". I went to a local tire shop and they gave me about 3 pounds of old tire weights. I've heard of soft lead but I don't know the difference :wack:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Tire weights are not pure lead but they will work just fine. If you have to use your lead pot to melt them down, take the clips off before you put them in the pot.

When it melts skim off the slag then flux the lead. It is a bit harder than plumbers lead but I have made 100s of jigs using wheel weights. It just has to get a little hotter than plumbers lead to melt.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for the knowledge, I will be getting some more lead from different places. I've been watching videos and other stuff to get some more tips. I think I'm gonna like this new hobby. Now I gotta find a nice trailer mold that I can pour. Between pouring plastics and now jigs I'm gonna be busy.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Before you spend money on a mold buy you some Zoom 3" swimming chunks if you don't already have some. Once I tried them on a swim jig I quit using all my other plastics on swim jigs. It looks like a swimmer with fins on his feet when they come through the water.

I made me a bondo mold so I could have any color that I want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts