Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

Support Your Big Bass

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  dkinder605 
#1 ·
In additional to being careful not to remove slime, I have been told that if your going to lip a large Bass ( and Even the little ones ) To make sure you support the weight of the Bass with both hands. I think if not held properly, it can affect a fish's jaw. Too often You'll see a picture of people holding up bass at odd angles without this support. Of course, I think you have to remember to wet your hands before touching any fish so as not to remove too much slime. A friend of mine has gloves that he uses that he says don't harm the slime coating, but, on those hot summer days, gloves for me are not an option. So remember, Support your Bass!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I agree with this 100%. Sometimes, it's one of those things that just get taken for granted, and isn't remembered. I am guilty of it, especially with the smaller bass I catch, but with the larger ones, there are two photo positions that I used frequently..................bass held vertically and bass held horizontally with support close to belly area. :thumbup01:

#3 ·
Hey, My first reply on the site!! Thanks CastAway. I'm not sure if a lot of people are even aware of this. Also, and I'm guilty of this sometimes, when we are holding a fish out of water for that great camera shot, Always have your camera ready and make it short and sweet. Fish don't breathe like us.

#4 ·
Not a problem. I am sure that many of the anglers here are aware of the stresses that bass are placed under once removed from the water, but as all things in bass fishing, every good tip and all good information has a time for a refresh in our minds. I think that you posted this information, as most of the southern US states are in a pre-spawn mode, and as Florida is right in the middle of the spawn. Some big bass will be caught and they need to have as little stress placed on them as possible, so that they can go about and make baby bass for the future. :thumbup01:

#5 ·
Glad you brought it up. Another thing I ask a fishing partner to do when handling a fish is for when you have to operate a little to get a big spinnerbait outta a mouth. I always speak up about abuse, even to a paying client. I keep a plastic bag handy and lay that across my lap. I lay the fish belly up on it then work as fast as possible removing a deep hook. If it takes more than about 30 seconds, dip the fish in the livewell a minute then resume. Or, have a partner cradle it upside down. The upside down trick makes the fish stop thrashing most of the time. But if held by the jaw and allowed to flop it can sustain serious injury to itself and you can get finned. I learned that taking catfish many years ago.

Yet another item concerns flinging a fish aboard and letting it land on boat carpet. It might be similar to you trying to sleep on tacks in the sheets. They probably always lose scales doing that, so of course they are damaged. Land it properly or land it on the plastic bag. You can pin the bag down in wind under the livewell cover lip. I lay it in the livewell to I can grab an edge to quickly surface any fish in there if culling, pulling them up in the fold. I use jumbo clear leaf bags. Black gets way too hot in summer.

Jim

#6 ·
If you hold the bass belly up instead of belly down, the bass is less likely to struggle.
Most fisherman hold their bass by the lower jaw, because bass don't have teeth and do have a large mouth. The damage can occur when the full weight of the bass is applied to the lower jaw when holding the bass perpendicular to open mouth, bending the jaw severely.
Taking a photo of a trophy size bass, the bass should be held as I'm doing in this picture;http://www.thebassholes.com/bassin-forums/index.php?topic=1681.0
You should try not to keep the bass out of water longer than you can hold your breath, about 1 minute.
Wet your hands before holding the bass, they will be wet if you hand land it. Avoid nets with knotted webbing. Avoid placing the bass on dry carpet, use a wet towell. Never bounce them into the boat.
Tom
PS; I know, self promoting fish picture, however it does show how to position your hands to support the jaw and underside of the bass correctly.

G
#7 ·
It is always good to be reminded of these timeless points. I do my best at hurrying up and getting safe shots of fish and then back into the water they go. This is exaggerated in the summer months when the surface temp is in the 80's or for some of us the 90's.

#9 ·
I agree about supporting the fish, like in my avatar pic. What suprises me is how often I see an "expert" or "professional" angler on tv with large bass in the "jawbreaker" clench. I know they are busy filming a tv show but I wish they could maybe set a better example sometimes.

#11 ·
That is a good reminder on properly holding bass. I read an article where some bass that were examined after being found dead actually had broken jaws and starved to death. Don't know how accurate the story was but none the less, something to remember.

P.S. I would think holding a bass vertically is fine.

#12 ·
Excellent reminder...I'm sure all of us every once in a while forget these tiny details that are critical in successful Catch N Release...One thing I did was go to a wide rubber webbed net for the toothy critters that can't be lipped...the other thing I have tried to do religiously is get the fish upside down as it absolutely does work on most to keep them from thrashing about so much while removing hooks and taking pictures....Just food for thought

#13 ·
Well best way to not harm the fish... don't catch it! Ha ha... just kidding. I agree. When I catch a fish I try my best to get it back in the water. I always lay them back slowly in the water if they had a picture taken. I will have my hands underneath the fish not really holding it, but keeping it steady. I then swish the fish slowly left and right to get it moving a bit and they just swim right away. If they fought hard I want to make sure they catch their breathe vs tossing them in the water and having them be disorientated and put in a worse situation.

If I remove any slime I just give them a few slimy licks from my tongue... Should be good enough for them!

#14 ·
I see alot of fishing shows were the host just tosses the fish back in the water. In the scheme of things, it probably doesn't harm the fish, but I think that since the Fish gave me the chance to hook it and the experience of battle between Angler and Fish, I try to give it the respect by releasing with some level of care. But I draw the line at a few licks from my tongue though !!

#15 ·
I hope one day I have the opportunity to hold a bass in the two handed position for all to see. But for now my biggest largemouth is only 2.1 LBs, I did catch a 5 LB smallie in Ontario with 1 eye :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.