Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone loves Yo-Zori hybrid fluoro/mono line. I have used Yo-Zori and it's a good line, not a great line. I have been fishing with Sunline Bass Specail III for about a year now and believe it is one of the best lines on the market and priced competitive with Yo-Zori and other fluorocarbon hybrids. The Bass III casts extremely well, has good abrasion resistance and good knot strength.
I rarely recommend any fishing line simply because everyone has their own opinion on lines. Sunline is a good product for the serious bass fisherman.
Tom
http://www.srtroutsupply.com/sunline/bassspecialiii.html
Note; Sunline line is a small diameter line for the pound test ratings in the 12 to 20 lb sizes. I tend to rate line by 0.001 = one pound test and select line based on that formula.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
I picked some of that up at a boat & tackle show and agree it's a really good line. Trouble is nobody retails it around here and that alone influences what I mostly buy. When I need it I go get it. I ordered a box of the Yo-Zuri Hybrid line on the special we discussed ($7/1000 yds) and am set on fluorocarbon for the year, maybe two now. Ten 1000 yard colored spools to go with 3 clear spools. I've had years involving guiding that took at least that much line each year. I picked up some Power Pro for nearly half price locally at a close-out sale, so I have about a mile of that too. Only braid stays spooled on any rod I have more than a week or two. When it's as cheap as that deal was I can't imagine risking a good fish on slightly used line. I don't like splicing line, and hate seeing and hearing a union knot peel through the guides with a big fish like a striper pulling. I'm short on mono, not decided whether to mess with it anymore except some Stren for topwater and their fluorescent for night fishing soft plastics. What's your favorite all-around mono?

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like Berkley Big Game mono or P-Line CXX for copolymer mono. Big Game is inexpensive and always the same, good knot strength and abrasion resistance and cast very well. Don't use the copolymers too much anymore and using the fluoro hybrids more for everything except crank and top water baits, the use Big Game. Like Fins PFT braided line for heavy cover and big swim baits.
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Big Game is good, but it seemed to show up too visible in clear water. Speaking of Berkley, have you messed with the new Fireline Crystal? If I were to use a visible clear mono line it just seems maybe I might as well go with Crystal. I plan to try it this summer for finesse. I looked at it and see it's about as thin as a spiderweb and when I tried to break some 20# I couldn't do it bare-handed. Strong stuff. Breaking point must be twice 20#, yet supposedly invisible in water, white on the surface. You could probably get by with 5# for most bassing. That will be all the line experimenting I do this year. If I can find some 1-2# line I'll get some for crappie. Just trying to get some opinions on it.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have not tried Crystal yet. Only use the Big Game for reaction lures and the hybrid for under water applications. Our water is usually very clear and the reason the fluoro's are so popular. Use a 20' fluoro leader or 25 lb hybrid for the swim baits, because of the lure weight, not the size of the bass. Crystal could be a good choice to crank weed cover, just haven't had the opportunity to try it. I'm really fussy about line and make very slow changes.
Tom

·
Banned
539 Posts
Sometimes it comes down to personal preference and I can not recommend Fireline Crystal.

I did not like the way it laid the reel, or the way it came off the reel for that matter.

I tried both spinning and casting outfits and I personally did not care for the product. However you are right it is a small diameter line with super break resistance.

Give it a shot, it comes highly rated. I just did not care for it

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
On a baitcaster reel you need the level winder worm arbor to have 2, no more than 3 channels across it where the line guide rides. The faster the line guide sails across the spool, the better thin line lays. Most arbors have 4 or more channels (like screw threads), too slow, allowing the line to dig in, but there's more power in a slower travel. It takes a high quality reel to handle the faster arbor so it doesn't hang up under a load. Hard to find. I wore out what I had and now use spinning reels for light thin line. I think it was an old Ambassadeur I had the gears changed in to make it wind faster. I was at BPS a month ago and found a few reels that would do, but I'm reel poor at the moment considering you get into the $300 range for that.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don Iovino is an expert modifying legacy Ambassaduer reels and buys old reels for parts. If you have a Ambassaduer 5000C for example and want to convert it to maximum overlay spooled line, give Don call.
Tom
http://www.iovino.com/
1.818/848.6180

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Yes Ive seen Don's collection (on his website) and wow... he has some awesome ambassadeur reels!

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on Sunline Shooter and FC Sniper high quality fluorocarbon line. The increase in lower quality fluorocarbon line has reduce the demand for the high end fluorocarbon and Sunline may eliminate Shooter and double the cost of FC Sniper to over $60 for 300 meters. Ouch!!
Tom

·
Premium Member
6,080 Posts
I for one am not getting bit by all these different type of lines. I will stick with my Big Game. I very seldom break off a fish due to the line. I did try braid and after a few outings with it I took it off. Maybe if I fished lily pads and grass more then I might put it back on.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Joe have you ever tried florocarbon on a worm rod ? Or even when using crankbaits? The extra feel you get is amazing,I WAS a big fan of mono,stren clear blue floresent to be exact but i kept losing fish on crankbaits when i made a long cast,somebody suggested i try floro,I have put ALOT more bass in the boat.I guess between the strech of the mono and the soft tip of my cranking rod i wasn't getting a good hook set. with the florocarbon i started getting enough of a hook set on a long cast to get that fish in the boat!Not to mention the little tic when fishing a worm gets magnified,I was amazed at how much of the bottom i could feel, with a smaller sinker after i made the switch!!!
I have floro on most of my rods now! Still have Mono on my spinning reels and one baitcaster, one rod has Braid for very heavy cover, and some topwater! Seaguar has been very good to me!!!
Rich

·
Registered
0 Posts
About all I use anymore for mono is the P-Line CXX. Since I was running low on it, I did spool up with some 10 lbs. Big Game, just to suffice til I get more. :thumbup01:

·
Registered
641 Posts
man i use to fish that P-line and loved it! i mean that stuff is super strong but what i hated about ti was that after i put it on and it set on my reel a few days or so b4 i would go fishing or what ever it would be all crickled really bad and all curly. made me so mad i did everything i could to stop the line from doing that. so i said forget p-line and changed to some berkly trilene and it never did that so i have stuck with berkly. anyone know why my p-line was doing that crap? i mean it did it every single time puzzled the mess outa me ......

·
Registered
0 Posts
Basspro18 said:
man i use to fish that P-line and loved it! i mean that stuff is super strong but what i hated about ti was that after i put it on and it set on my reel a few days or so b4 i would go fishing or what ever it would be all crickled really bad and all curly. made me so mad i did everything i could to stop the line from doing that. so i said forget p-line and changed to some berkly trilene and it never did that so i have stuck with berkly. anyone know why my p-line was doing that crap? i mean it did it every single time puzzled the mess outa me ......
I haven't ever had that problem with any of the P-Line that I have used. Of course, I spray Reel Magic on it quite often. I have that problem with Big Game after it's been on the reel and not used for a while.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Went to BP yesterday to get some new braid for a trip to Falcon Lake I'll be making in the near future. Wanted some 80 pound braid. Found some Spiderwire Ultracast Invisa-Braid 80 pound test with the diameter of 20 pound test (I believe it was).

Seems right for my purposes, especially if their "near invisibility" claim is true.

I get:
- Near invisibility
- Castability
- Small Diameter
- 80 pound strength

Perry

·
Registered
641 Posts
well i do the same man i spray my line and reels with reel magic and when i did that the p-line still crickled up badly.....i thought it was the spray then i stopped and it still done it so i duno wat causes that crap.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I can't tell ya either. The next time I stop by the store, I will get some more CXX and send it to ya. I gotta get some more 8 lbs. and 10 lbs. I am not asking you to switch back to something that you don't like, but I would like to see if possibly you got a bad batch. :thumbup01:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts