Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ever caught a sturgeon? While we ere fishing the other day my partner hooked into something and finally got it up close to the boat. It had light colored humps on it and it was long.. It finally run and broke off before we could net it. I have looked on the TWRA website for Tn and found that they have stocked some of the lake sturgeon in the TN river system..
Just wondering what you would catch them on? I thought they were more of a bottom feeder. Anyway, it was exciting to say the least..

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
I believe staff member Rich has caught them quite a bit and some good sized ones too.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I caught one on the Napa river in northern Ca. once. They have a back bone that is sharp as a razor and they have a tail like a shark they fight like all get out.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
That is the one Ontario fish I have not caught yet Jared!

They get them on balls of half a dozen worms on gigantic hooks, or basically any sort of meat chunks fished on bottom. Same types of cut bait you'd use for channel cats, only much bigger.

Next spring I will try my hand at chasing them on the St Clair River.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Caught one while drifting a herring net a few years ago. He was about 8 inches long, a juvenile. Released him upstream of the net. Most people in Eastern N.C. has never seen one.

Sammy

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
Rich said:
That is the one Ontario fish I have not caught yet Jared!
Rich, you are the master multi-species angler... if anyone can catch a sturgeon, you can. I hope to see you catching one on Action Angling this year :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
creekdriften said:
Caught one while drifting a herring net a few years ago. He was about 8 inches long, a juvenile. Released him upstream of the net. Most people in Eastern N.C. has never seen one.

Sammy
wow 8"?? thats awesome!

Ihad a 6" in an aquarium once. I bought him from a pet store but he didnt make it long. I couldn keep the water as cool as he needed.

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
A lake sturgeon has to be the finest tasting fish ever. I love them. Caught only 3 so far on C-rigged worms let sit too long for bassin. When I get it in my hands the thing makes me think I'm a caveman transported through time to a bass boat, the appearance of it so strange and ancient looking. You could swear the fish was a thousand years old.

Jim

·
Registered
98 Posts
IVE BEEN TOLD THEY THESE "PALID STURGEON" TASTE LIKE CRAP.BUT THEY PROTECTED HERE AND I WONT EVER KNOW.IVE ALSO CAUGHT A SHOVELNOSE STURGEON, ALSO PROTECTED .ILL POST A PIC WHEN I GET HOME

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Caviar used to come from sturgeon, and paddlefish, maybe still does. Paddlefish is a lot like catfish to me, but lake sturgeon is a delicacy. Jim

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
I never caught one, just read a article, big worms on sand flats, we got some big ones here but i never worm it, i will someday!!! yep if you can milk the eggs and store um safely they are worth more than gold, if you could sell them to someone? anyone?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts