Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried a Strike King Red Eye Shad? I recently purchased a couple one being the chrome/blue back. After catching one bass, the chrome started to peel off. Thinking the one bait was defective, I purchased a second in the same color. Same thing again, one bass and the chrome started peeling off.

T

·
0 Posts
No paul4212 I have never used that bait before. I'm sure another member here has and will be along shortly.

Tell me something, other than the crome peeling off, is that bait any good? Is it a fish catching lure for you?

By the way, if you haven't been welcomed to the Bassholes then WELCOME ABOARD!! :fishing01: :fishing02:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I still like the plain old rat-l-trap, myself. I haven't tried the strike king version. I wouldn't worry about the paint scraping off, though. It still catches fish, right?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Likewise, I am a dedicated Rat-L-Trap fisherman myself but decided I would give the bass a different look. I used the Red Eye Shad in Toledo Bend a couple of weeks back and only caught two 14 inchers. Not many were caught that weekend anyway. I never did catch another once the chrome came off, only time will tell. It is frustrating though to buy something that only is good for one fish.

I am new to this forum (came from another highly publicized bass fishing forum which many others have since departed). Thanks for the warm welcome.

K

·
0 Posts
Paul, welcome to the Bassholes. We are glad to have you.

I haven't tried that bait yet. I have tried just about every other one made :) However, a friend of mine bought a gold one. He said he fished it and made probably 25 casts and the entire gold peeled and flaked off. He never got a bite on it and all of the color just fell off. He said luckily the color underneath was silver and polished at that, so he said he would keep it because that color is good also.

With reviews like this I honestly do not plan on using any anytime soon.

Of all the ones I have tried, and that is quit a few, I like the XCalibur the best. Aruku by Spro is pretty good as well. These are way better then the Bill Lewis one. The reason I prefer XCalibur over the Spro Aruku shad is because the hooks are better on the XCalibur. Both of the finishes hold up extremely well on the XCalibur and Aruku Shad. Metallic finishes do not flake and peel off of these baits.

Try them and see for yourself.

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
I usually don't use any of the traps,altho after catching 2 in 44 degree water on the red xcaliber i bought 2 for me.
thanks for the heads up i'll make sure NOT to purchase any of the strike kings.

Welcome to the bassholes! if you have any problems or need anything feel free to ask.
jump in on any post and let us know your thoughts!
rich

·
Registered
409 Posts
I bought a Strike King Diamond lipless bait and the paint is coming off. The bad thing is I haven't even caught a fish on the bait yet. I have 4 different Xcalibur ones now thanks to the advice of KeithsCatch and bar none these are well made bait and no paint is coming off. They do cost more, but well worth the money.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts