Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how complicated it would be to hook up the system to my boat? I have a Ranger with a 3 bank charger already on board. It sounds like a great system but would like to know more about how it works.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
from what I have heard its quite simple to install, but let the guys on the StayNCharge pro staff give you a better answer than mine. There are a few on here and they will be more than happy to answer your questions :D

·
Registered
921 Posts
The system is very easy to hook up. With both systems from the tow vehicle you will charge the start battery on the boat and up to three trolling batteries while you pull the boat down the road. From the outboard everytime you pick up the trolling motor and go from spot to spot the outboard will put power into the trolling batteries and will depend on how much outboard is running. Each five minutes you run, one battery will get charged. If you run 15 minutes, all three trolling batteries will get some power. Everything depends on how much trolling and how much the outboard runs. The unit for the truck is very important because it will get you the most charge becasue the truc,k depending on how far you drive, will charge the start battery on the boat as well as up to three trolling batteries. If you need more help you can call me anythime. 612-590=-5833 :tbh_flag: Oh ya Stayncharge is made in the USA

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'm waiting for a pro staffer packet! Can any one help me out. I can sell the crap outa these things in my neck of the woods. I talked to Mr. Payne and he is a busy man. He told me he would get back to me last week. I'm ready to get started.

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
I can guarantee you he is a busy man but I am sure he will get back with you. He's a great guy! :thumbup01:
:tbh_flag:

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
imonembad said:
What the hell are you doing up at this time of the day?
:rofl1:
I know, right? LOL! I just woke up to get myself in gear. I gotta roll out of my house in an hour.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I went to bed too early last night and did not see this post. I will be glad to assist you anytime with any questions you may have over the Stay N Charge. (931) 206-7265. Call me anytime. What kind of truck do you drive to tow the boat? I am going to the NASCAR race in Nasville today. I will have my phone with me, or you can call me tonight around 7:30pm central time.

·
Registered
921 Posts
imonembad said:
Go get em!! There ain't nothing like whackin them outta your own boat. They are still there just go catch them!!
I am sorry for the delay been getting that dang United Defense deal done and a few new surprises for you all . Please call me next week maybe in the middle of week and we will get you selling the crap out of these things. :clap: I love talk like that. Lets go get um :tbh_flag:

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
"Can anyone tell me how complicated it would be to hook up the system to my boat?"

It's just a little work, no electrical experience needed. The AllCharge main unit has up to 3 pairs of wires that hook to up to 3 batteries. Red to plus, black to negative. Just unscrew the battery terminal wing nut, slip them on, tighten. The other side of the box attaches to the cranking battery posts with a little inline fuse in between. That setup charges from the outboard.

To charge while towing a pair of wires has to be routed from battery compartment to bow. Another cable runs from rear bumper to truck battery. A 6' extension cable connects the two.

I put lead #1 to the main trolling battery. That way each time I crank up that battery gets the first 5 minutes of juice. The main unit then cycles 5 minutes on battery #2, etc. #2 is my backup/electronics battery. If I was running a 24 trolling motor I'd make the second trolling battery #2, and the third (backup/electronics) #3 since it never gets discharged from running two LMS332C units. You can't put two charge leads on the same battery, so 5 minutes is all you get until it cycles back around.

I hung my AllCharge main unit on the underside of the battery compartment lid so it faces down toward the batteries and fuel tank. Routing the StayNCharge cable through the boat was the big challenge!

Jim

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
I'll tell ya what.. this weekend, with my trolling motor being constantly on and fighting that heavy current and the tide... I was wishing like mad I had a StayNCharge system! If you can get it, then do so. You will never regret it.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
You need both the AllCharge and StayNCharge products.

A little trick I've learned is to take a little more time moving to another part of the lake, keeping the RPMs down around 3,000 for greater fuel economy. The alternator puts out the same juice at 3K as it does at 5K. That extra 5 minutes outboarding really helps top a battery off. The extra time is spent looking closer at baitfish schools, structure, any signs leading me to consider fishing along the main lake route between point A & B.

These two products are the best purchase decision I've made in years. I chose a boat with motor, but gave no thought to something like this until I needed them and saw they were available. I installed two 55 watt fog lamps on the bow, which have saved my bacon several times, something that's now catching on big here among night anglers, but if given the choice I'd have to ditch the lights.

Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Charging time versus charge status

I have a question about the All Charge. I got mine and installed it--piece of cake to install.

Question is--If the trolling batteries are fully charged, does the unit cycle quickly? I was wondering if it recognized that the batteries were already charged and therefore didn't put much charge to the batteries.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Randy as long as the motor is running the unit will charge something, It could be little but the lites on the unit will always be on one of the batteries. Send me a email with your number and we can walk through it and make sure you are taken care of. Thanks :stayncharge:

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
While outboarding and the batteries are topped off it will keep cycling every 5 minutes, but the AllCharge limits what the alternator pushes to them.

It shouldn't be necessary, but when you get home and hook up an AC charger (to the input side of the All Charge) that has a monitoring function for cutting it off on a full charge, the AllCharge will cycle until the charger cuts off. When that happens the AllCharge turns off. I do that occasionally, and usually within 5 minutes the charger goes to green light and it all shuts down.

If the amount of charging with AllCharge alone doesn't quite keep everything topped off at trip's end, consider the StayNCharge wiring kit that supplies the AllCharge while towing the boat. You need to run the outboard some for the AllCharge to work.

:D We crossed in the mail.

Jim :stayncharge:

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
I don't brag on anything around here until it has to be bragged on or da rocks will cry out :neener: You got it :champion:

Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts