Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is trying to find out some information on this spinnerbait, was just wondering if anyone had any info or knew who made these.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Sorry never seen one with a coil sping on the front like that . Neat idea . How is it in the water ?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I don't know who made that one, but it looks like the spring would do two things. Lessen the vibration transmitted to the skirt from that big Colorado, and allow the blade portion of the "Vee" to collapse to the hook if a bass bites the whole spinnerbait. Interesting ideas. I know when I use a thin wire spinnerbait like that the frame gets twisted after a fish or two sometimes, and soon the frame will break from metal fatigue if you keep straightening it right at the "V".

G

·
The bait was made by Manuel Johnson from Missorri around 74-75. He applied for a patent in75 and received it in 77. Other then that I can't find anymore on the bait.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Interesting looking rig! :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Good Job Yankee .. I couldnt find one in a store on line....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yankeebass said:
The bait was made by Manuel Johnson from Missorri around 74-75. He applied for a patent in75 and received it in 77. Other then that I can't find anymore on the bait.

Thank you, good info.

G

·
I would be willing to bet that it was never made in bulk and probably just sold out of a local shop. Did your buddy say where he got it? I searched the Patent office site and the patent has not been sold so either he or his family still owns the right to the design. When you read it you can tell they gave it allot of thought since he covers all the bases as far as the arm design so it would be very difficult to sell a similar design without infringing on the patent itself. Personally I would not throw it until I did some research to find out if it would be collectable. You might have something there that is worth more then what it was originally purchased for.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
I think I still have one of these. I am going to look and see if the manufacturer is stamped on it anywhere. I think they were discontinued, but I cant be sure.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Tavery5 said:
A friend of mine is trying to find out some information on this spinnerbait, was just wondering if anyone had any info or knew who made these.

the lure was put out by the rogers bait company. they claimed that the spring-like twist increased the vibration. i never found it to be so.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
If it is a Manuel Johnson, here is the official legalease describing it.

Patent description
1. A spinner bait comprising a wire harness having a forward apex portion to which a line or leader may be attached, a lower arm extending downwardly and rearwardly from the apex portion and terminating in a fish hook, and an upper arm extending upwardly and rearwardly from the apex portion and carrying at least one rotatable blade, characterized in that a substantial portion of said upper arm includes multiple bend spring means for resiliently increasing the flexibility of said upper arm and for resiliently changing the length of said upper arm to give the entire bait a pulsating motion as it is drawn through the water.
( I know, it is very descriptive to the point of confusion)

SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

One of the objects of this invention is to provide a spinner bait having greatly increased flutter and flashing action, and therefore having greater attractiveness to fish, such as bass and other game fish.

Another object is to provide such a spinner bait which moves with an erratic, pulsating action.

Another object is to provide such a spinner bait in which the means providing the improved action is not interposed between the fishing line and the hook portion of the lure.

Other objects will become apparent in light of the following description and accompanying drawings.

In accordance with this invention, generally stated, a spinner bait is provided, including a wire harness having a forward apex portion to which the line or leader is attached, a lower arm extending downwardly and rearwardly from the apex portion and terminating in a fish hook, and an upper arm extending upwardly and rearwardly from the apex portion and carrying at least one rotatable blade, in which the upper arm includes a multiple bend spring part spaced from the apex. The spring part is preferably a coil (helical) spring formed as a part of the wire harness and having from three to twenty turns. The new spinner bait produces greatly improved flutter and flashing action, and adds a pulsating action. When a trailer, such as a pork rind, is added to the hook, the action of the bait produces a realistic swimming motion in the trailer.

The invention is not limited to a particular style of spinner bait, nor is it limited to a particular depth or style of fishing. The wire gauge, number of coil turns, and even the type of spring, may be varied to suit a particular style of lure and type of lure action desired.

So the next time someone asked what did you use, don't just say a spinnerbait. You can say, " 1. A spinner bait comprising a wire harness having a forward apex portion to which a line or leader may be attached, a lower arm extending downwardly and rearwardly from the apex portion and terminating in a fish hook, and an upper arm extending upwardly and rearwardly from the apex portion and carrying at least one rotatable blade, characterized in that a substantial portion of said upper arm includes multiple bend spring means for resiliently increasing the flexibility of said upper arm and for resiliently changing the length of said upper arm to give the entire bait a pulsating motion as it is drawn through the water. "
Whew that was a mouthful !!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
since manuel johnson was from missouri, makes all the more sense that jim rogers lure company put the spinner bait out. jim was from lamar, mo.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
I recall the spinnerbait, it was one of the first designs not to use a safety pin type coil for the line tie, instead used a coil spring on the upper arm. The lure casts poorly, snagging the line in the air and the line often wrapped around the spring.
Tom
ps; patent 4,011,681 dated 15 Mar 1977, should be a good collector item!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all of the great information, I was able to find a copy of an old Jim Rogers Lure Company Catalog. Looks like the name of his spinnerbaits were the "BASS RAT" I did find one reference to some called the "Ambusher" unfortunately none of the ones I could find pictures of have the spring design in the arm.

I would sure love to find a picture of one with the name on it so as to eliminate all doubt.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Tavery5 said:
Thanks for all of the great information, I was able to find a copy of an old Jim Rogers Lure Company Catalog. Looks like the name of his spinnerbaits were the "BASS RAT" I did find one reference to some called the "Ambusher" unfortunately none of the ones I could find pictures of have the spring design in the arm.

I would sure love to find a picture of one with the name on it so as to eliminate all doubt.

tavery, it could have been called the spring rat. been so laong ago, i just do not remember. i think one of my fishing buddies might still have one.

·
Registered
3 Posts

tavery, it could have been called the spring rat. been so laong ago, i just do not remember. i think one of my fishing buddies might still have one.
Yes, it was called the Spring Rat, by Rogers Lure Company, Lamar, Missouri. Rogers in now in Liberty. Maybe they have stores elsewhere? I bought one in the late 70's or early 80's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts