Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's cool. Something you could probably add to that....If you had a Navionics Premium East map card in that 520C you'd have minute by minute tidal data on the GPS screen. It has some or most of Santee Cooper in real-time surveyed (HD- High Definition) to one foot contour intervals. Check the pools listed for SC here: http://www.navionics.com/PremiumLakeList_07.asp?RegionID=3

Jim

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
I plan on getting something like that Jim. I was thinking of getting the MapCreator (I think thats what its called) that you told me about. Or would the link you gave me here be something Id want in conjunction with the mapcreator?

I like the list of lakes they show but it kills me that they dont show Santee Cooper Lake Marion in HD or Lake Wateree. Lake MArion is listed but I guess its not a 1 foot contour HD map. I wonder how well defined the map they do have available is? Any idea on that?

Are there any other packages that have 1foot contour HD maps of my area?

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Navionics map cards don't work with MapCreate. Between the two I'd get the Navionics first since that's something you'd use every trip. Navionics has their own new mapping program, but so far I haven't seen any reviews of it. I heard it had some bugs at first, which is normal.

HD is unbeatable, made from a live sonar survey covering a lake on a tight grid. Wherever they could get that big loaded Boston Whaler to float safely got surveyed. Really shallow areas are shown without detail, but marked so you know why.

If not HD then the map is the same as we've had for years, based on paper maps and some government sonar surveys. However good the source maps were determines how good the E-maps are. Lake Ouachita has 5 foot intervals on my Lowrance Elite HotSpot map card, none in HD. I doubt Lowrance will get into HD. Navionics is the largest surveying corporation in the world and is set up to handle big projects like that.

Jim

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Ahhh ha! Maybe tahst why Lake MArion wasnt surveyed in HD... I dont see a boston whaler navigating that lake anytime soon, even tho its 110,000 acres. dang that stinks!

So.. get navionics first you say? Ok will do.

I can use both Navionics and MapCreator on my lowrance right? or can I use only one or the other?

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lowrance GPS products work with Navionics and MapCreate. Navionics won't work with MapCreate. IF you mostly fish Marion, rarely Santee Cooper, take a look at http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Mapping/hotspotsPRO/fhsp_east.asp for a cheaper E-map since Navionics doesn't have Marion in HD and they charge $50 more. You just gotta choose or get both. It depends on total lake coverage in each product. Maybe you will find the Navionics map card more useful since it has some of your destinations in HD. If so then get their mapping program (NavPlanner) http://www.navionics.com/NavPlanner.asp if the Lowrance Pro card serves you better get the MapCreate program http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Mapping/MapCreate7/default.asp.

In either case your custom mapping is put on a separate memory card. You can upload that data onto the 520C, but not the base map (Navionics or Lowrance E-maps). You upload the data, remove the memory card, then insert the main map card. The custom data displays overthe E-map. You can't put custom data on the E-map card without destroying the map card.

Clear as mud yet? :lmao:

Jim

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Ouachita said:
Clear as mud yet? :lmao:

Jim
yeah as mud is right LOL Im sooo confused I think! LOL wow Im so confused Im not even sure if I am confused! :lmao:

I know I want the HD maps... and i know I want something will allow me to download my trails and what not to my pc so i can save them and trade them out when I visit different lakes or seasons like you do. I also know I Want to be able to save my chart data to view on my pc like you said you do too. Id also like to be able to look at the trail and the chart on my pc so I can see what was where on my trail to see what drew fish to point A (for example) lilke you said you do. So... it sounds like I need.... and thats where i get lost lol I think I want the navionics yu first linked here but after that Im not sure.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, you have the two E-map links, so go there, look up South Carolina, and see which has the most of your lake coverage. Weigh in the HD coverages in the Navionics. Most of my lakes are in HD, so Navionics was my choice this year. If you choose Navionics, then get the NavPlanner instead of MapCreate.

Jim

·
Registered
841 Posts
Jim, are these HD maps new this year? I bought the navionics hotmaps card last year, do these have the HD maps? Also, on some of the lakes It shows my boat on land, not in the lake. I check the status page and it shows a 16 foot error? Anyway to correct this. Doesn't seem to be on all lakes, unless I haven't noticed it before.
Thanks,

Britt
Gville, SC

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Britt, the HD maps are being added each year. Each one represents a real survey using sonar rather than the usual maps based on paper maps, like USGS maps from years ago. Those were accurate, especially useful for places since converted to impoundments. But none could possibly account for siltation and channelization.

A 16 foot error in position is within standard. It's acceptable. Aggravating, but OK. In fact that's a really nice error. Anything that interferes with a satellite signal reaching your antenna module is already anticipated. A sunspot, or some stratospheric activity, a row of docks reflecting signals, a houseboat or airplane radar, or less than desirable antenna location on your boat can cause errors.

Jim

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thanks Jim. I really am learning a lot here at BH from everyone. As I said before, I could always be better at reading my sonar. I have a pretty nice unit, the lcx 111 hd. Nice and big and easy to see, worthless if you don't know how to read it though. Getting much better at it though. Got one of the aqua vu under water video systems from my wife for my bday. It's helping understand some unknowns when water clarity is good. Again, I really appreciate everyones take on things here.

Thanks

Britt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts