Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,455 Posts
CaptainMo said:
It all depends on the size and style of the soft Swimbait I'm using....The one constant that I have found to be the most productive however is a slow, slow, slow retrieve...

Work the bait beside the boat a bit and watch the action as you're retrieving the lure, as well as watching it to establish its sink rate...
Look for what appears to be the most lifelike action as you try different speeds...This will vary slightly depending on line weight, hook size, body style and using a weighted or non-weighted hook...Most people, myself included, have a tendency to work these baits much too fast...

Every so often, kill the retrieve and let the bait fall back on a semi-slack line...Many times you will get your hit as you re-start the retrieve...You will also solicit strikes if you "rip" the bait every now and then, and then let it drop on semi-slack, or slack line...
I have to agree with Mo, this is the way I like to fish them. I have had some vicious strikes right after stopping then restarting the bait. :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Let's see if I can do this on my iPhone while waiting in the DR office.
The swim bait today has evolved into a 6" paddle tail hollow body like the original Basstrix or the solid body like the calico bass salt water hammer tails.
When anglers reply they refer to these 90% of the time.
The 8" to 12" swimmers like Slammerwake baits, Huddlestons, BB1's, Optimium, etc have been pasted by and left for the trophy bass anglers and I get that.
Don't forget a swim bait is a swim bait, not a crank bait and works best swimming naturally like an easy meal.
Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Slow and steady on the bottom. When I say slow, I mean 2-3 seconds per reel handle turn.
Results in fish like these:

Once in a blue moon, non-traditional retrieves work too. Just gotta keep your mind open.
This fish ate the bait on a superfast waking/ jerkbait type retrieve. This was after several casts from good angles working all parts of the column swimming the bait like a baitfish would/ should.

(NLMB trout eaters on the 8" hudd deluxe.)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts