Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rub your hands down with some kind of fish attractant to eliminate any foreign oders from your hands. It sounds kinda stupid but unwanted smells will inadvertantly transfer to your baits without you realizing it. Its all a matter of whether you want to catch fish or smell good. You will learn with a little practice to get a dip of snuff before hand or eat a bolonga sandwich before you get that crap on your hands or maybe like me you just develop a taste for the stuff. Smelly Jelly is my favorite but it takes some getting used to.

Good fishing,
Drew

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Good idea.. I reckon I do the same thing without thinking about the benefit of ' odor ' from my hands etc..., as I use Mega Strike and get it all over my hands.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I learned this from fishing with my wife who is not a bad angler,but I was catching five or six fish to her one then I realized that she was putting on sunscreen and her hands were covered in the oils from it. I used to bring a bar of soap and just wash my hands before I started fishing then I stumbled on to this over a busted tube of Kodiak fish paste the stuff was all over my hands and the old light bulb turned on. and so did the fish.

Drew

·
Registered
75 Posts
Why don't you use some sort of odor neutralizing soap instead - it is usually found around the hunting accessories in the stores.

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
When I was a young kid and did most of my fishing from the bank, I adopted a habit and to this day, if possible, I will still do it. What I would do is get a handful of dirt and rub it between my hands like I was lathering up with soap. My thought back then was 'what better way to mask odors than with mother nature herself'. I have no idea if it worked but it sure made me feel more confident.

Another way I attempt to mask odors is when I catch a fish, I will get a bit of the slime coating on my hands and rub it in. I will also then rub my hands on my bait. Again, I have no idea if its really maskin or if its just a confidence thing.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I like this thread and kinda fits in with what Mo and I was just talking about.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I use Smelly Jelly all the time. I think it works...gives me that one extra milli second.

I also began using attractants to cover my hands a little for this reason a while back. Not sure where I read it, but think it gives me that little bit of extra confidence...and another extra milli second.

Now thats two extra milli seconds...a few more and I'll catch that darn fish... :cool1:

Perry

·
Registered
124 Posts
this is a good little hint, i have used this for 2 years, and im sure it is not just luck when i use it because when i would fish with my buddys i would be the only one to put the attractant on my hands and while we were all using the same lures and techniques i would always catch more.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I like that smelly jelly, doesn't Roland martin use that mega strike? is it as good as he says it is, or is it just another sponsor deal?

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
I use to use megastrike exclusively. It does work very well. It will stay on your bait for a long time and it smells wonderful :)

This past fall I bought several different brands of scents. I have been intending on taking pictures of them all and doing a comparison for the site. This thread has motivated me to get it done sooner rather than later :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts