Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
2,887 Posts
I was a 19 year old smoke jumper in Oregon in the 60's and caught a really bad cold, probably flu, in a cabin on top of the Blue Mtns above Dale on the headwaters of the John Day River. I was sure I'd die. People looked at me like I would die soon. I heard one team member ask "What we gonna do when he dies? We can't get off this mountain. Leave him for the bears? We can't leave him in here. What's Forest Service policy on that?" We were snow-bound at that time. A "range rider" with no teeth (from a bar room fight) prescribed the medicine. One pint of Jack Daniels black label downed in one hour. He had a couple cases of them. Our job was apparently survive the winter until fire season returned. Well, I woke up a few days later cured and was put to work shovelling snow to make steps to the top of the drift that covered the cabin.

Jim

· Premium Member
2,887 Posts
I'll say :thumbup01: Well, one of our main orders was NEVER GET SICK. It was nearly an impossibility to get a sick man to a hospital after being trapped snowbound. Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.