Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I know this topic has been beaten to death on every forum anywhere. Thought I'd ask about it one more time.

First, I know the features of both reels so I'm not totally green to either one of them. Experience wise, however, I have only casted a PQ a few times. I really liked it and I'm sure it will do all that I need it to do, which is to serve as a cranking reel on one rod for 1/4 to 1/2 oz. cranks, and then I need another reel to serve for frogs, spinnerbaits, and fat jigs with 17 pound line on another heavy power rod. So, two reels needed in different ratios for different applications.

As for the Citica, I have no experience with the current G model other than holding in hand and fitting it to a rod to test ergonomics. But I've fished an E model for several years, and besides the body shape differences, the features read exactly the same as far as bearing numbers, brakes, and so on. The reel does "feel" a little delicate but that might be a misjudgement on my part. I'm wondering how it would hold up in the heavy application, fishing a frog in heavy slop.

Now here's another thing. After trying the PQ and liking it, I tried the same lure on my old Citica, and outcasted the PQ by about 25 feet! That's a big difference! I didn't spend a lot of time with the PQ to try different brake settings, but is it possible to have adjusted it much differently to explain the casting differences? The PQ belonged to a friend of mine so I didn't adjust his settings much. Mag brakes were on 8 and he had 3 centrifugal brakes on. The Citica had only 2 centrifugal brakes on, and no magnetic brakes are on this reel. I'm sure this played into it but would that explain it all?

All that aside, right now the PQ is full retail price, though I've heard it's worth it, but I can get the Citica G brand new at a local shop now for $99.99 on sale. So, basically both reels are the same price.

Which one would you choose? Would you grab the Citica at the sale price or wait for the PQ to go on sale again?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Since I know who makes the Citica and have no idea who has the Pro Qualifier contract this year, I'd buy the Citica.

As for the G series, I have some Curado Es and picked up a G5 to do some cranking. That thing is smoother than my Es and will out cast it a mile.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The PQ's are a tank. I've used two for 4 years with no cleanings and no problems. I fish two+ times a week 8+ hours, am in 3 clubs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts