Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi yall. i have been trying to learn the shaky head rig lately and i will say it does get a lot of bites. but i am having a problem hooking them. have been using a 7ft md action rod with 8 pound suffix braid. for the most part they have been shallow bites, less than 5 ft of water. I have tried not snapping the rod and just loading up and reeling in but that doesnt even seem to work. i was hoping someone could give me some advise on what i am doing wrong if it is either wrong rod, line, or can give me some advice so i can start landing these fish because it is making me madder than a one legged waitress working at the IHOP :cussin:.
thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
stright braid gives too much "feel". U r prob feeling the bite too quick and snatching the bait away or just hookin up lightli. I use a med light 7' rod with 8# fluro. Light wire hooks will also help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks, i dont know why i didnt think about that sooner. yeah i have light wire hooks on all my shaky head jigs. changed that out right away when i ran into this problem.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think Hopper is right on. You may also just try adding a leader of flouro to your braid and giving a second longer before a light hook set. One other factor may be that they are seeing the braid and not fully committing to the bite, just grabbing the tail of the worm. And a leader of flouro would solve that too.
keep us posted.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that was my main problem, went fishing today with my girlfriend and tried out the shakey head. Got a couple bass and caught all but one. The bass even seemed to hit it harder also. I can't believe it was that was of a fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts