Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

Selecting tackle??

4K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Unknown02 
G
#1 ·
Whenever you go fishing do yall take everything you have?

I have come to find out that taking everything that I have is a waste of time and nothing but a headache to keep up with. I will also switch baits out too frequently. I know I'm doing it but I just can't stop.

I have narrowed down my baits to just about 2 hand fulls. Most of them are the same plastic baits but just around 2 or 3 colors. Same for jigs. Then I have maybe 3 spinnerbaits and maybe 4 topwater baits. After that I have included 2 swim baits.

Do yall do the same or do you carry what you mostly have and if you do how do you keep from getting overwhelmed?

#27 ·
I carry more purple and black soft plastics than any other color, as you can see. I have at least 10 of every tail style, like paddletail, curly, ribbon, stick, etc. The other half of worms is in greens, reds, pumpkin and a few oddballs like bubblegum and cotton candy in each of the tail types, and in some colors 2-3 sizes from finesse 4" to Monster 11". There might be 10 different colors total. Come summer I'll add a selection of snake worms that run up to 14". In the photos above I've already culled the winter baits like spoons, heavy inline spinners, etc. That tray weighs a good 4#. In the crankbaits I carry two of everything. I just can't stand catching a good bass on one, losing the bait, then wondering whether it would have been consistent. I've lost #2 after proving it was a hot selection then gone diving for both #1 & #2 if warm enough. I make waypoints of hangups so come summer a diving buddy can go harvest good lures. I might have lost a few, but he comes up with 5 gal buckets full. "Like picking tomatoes".

Jim

#28 ·
Hello............ my name........my name is.........my name is Rodney, and I'm a.......
I'm a baitmonkey a holic. Yes, it is true. Last Saturday I took my wife to BASS PRO SHOPS for mothers day, yes I really did. I went through the fishing department, picked out a bunch of stuff I had planned on, including a new rod, and then went looking for my wife. She was checking out some gifts and camping gear. I told her I was going to check out and then be back. After going through the checkout line I found that I still had enough money left, and so I went back in to by a new dropshot rod. I go to Gander Mountain almost every sunday to "walk my dog", and come out with a new purchase. Oh woe is me! Oh woe is me!! What am I to do?
the bait monkey must be stopped. Gander Mountain is thinking of putting my dog on the payroll, one of the guys at BPS said hello, how's the pooch, I'm known by my wallet and my dog. :wack: :wack: :wack:
Rodney
PS I did take my wife to the Lilac Festival after Mass sunday morning.

#29 ·
I know that this is an old post, but I just have to respond. :neener: Yup, I carry everything. It's called my pickup! :lmao: I have a tackle bag that I purchased a year and a half ago, and the last time I put it on the scales, it pushed 22.5 lbs. Now, I have another 4 tray bag, and it's getting close to 10 lbs.

Funny thing is, that darn bait monkey :baitmonkey: makes me buy things that I probably will never use, just for the sake of saying that I have it. Amazing that us Bassholes can come up with the same excuse............."Well, if I ever need it, I have it." :victory:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.