Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A client of mine has invited me to go fishing with my boat in a saltwater bay (?). He said as long as we flush the motor after taking the boat out, we'd be fine. Is that accurate? I'm nervous.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yeah I have done that before.

you might want to also change the impeller also as I found out that even after I flushed it the salt had already worn on the impeller. But I spent three days out on the water. If just one day migth not need to. Just whatch how much water it pumps out of the motor. Also you will want to drench the trolling motor also when your done. remember Salt is mean!!!! and it gets everywhere!!! But you should be fine just wash everything down !!!!

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Unrelated to the boat.
Whenever I got home from fishing Saltwater, I always took my rod and reel in the shower with me. My wife thinks it's hilarious !
I soak it down good and then even soap it up a bit. Salt water can really do a number on your tackle. Especially if you don't use it much and let it sit with all that sand and salt on it.
Just be careful in the shower with loose hooks, Ouch !!

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
I think I'd be more worried over things in my boat ( electronics, gagues etc... )

Also, make sure you wash the heck out of your trailer.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've fished a lot of saltwater and freshwater. Saltwater is worse on your stuff, including trolling motors or big motors than fresh. It rusts any hooks except the chrome looking ones, but they aren't as sharp as bass hooks. If you take a bass boat, flush the big motor, and wash any hooks you might have used cause they will rust and it spreads. I'd pressure wash the rig and trailer too, and disconnect any electronic devices and let the inside of the connector plugs dry and hit them with some WD-40. Thoroughly rinse your rods and reels as corroded guides will cut line plus they look lousy in green.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
billnorman said:
I've fished a lot of saltwater and freshwater. Saltwater is worse on your stuff, including trolling motors or big motors than fresh. It rusts any hooks except the chrome looking ones, but they aren't as sharp as bass hooks. If you take a bass boat, flush the big motor, and wash any hooks you might have used cause they will rust and it spreads. I'd pressure wash the rig and trailer too, and disconnect any electronic devices and let the inside of the connector plugs dry and hit them with some WD-40. Thoroughly rinse your rods and reels as corroded guides will cut line plus they look lousy in green.
I agree with bill, wash and flush everything once your done, and you will be ok. My buddy goes all the time, and thats what he does and so far the only thing he has had to replace was his trailer, it ate it up after 5 years, he has a galvinized trailer now.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Oh yeah, Steve, Don't drink the water ! :rofl1:

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Yup wash the heck out of everything when ya get off the salt water!!!!!!! :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01:

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the luck I've been having lately, I decided to pass!

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's probably for the best, Steve. One trip in saltwater can ruin a boat not made for it. You can do all of the washing you want, which I do on my saltwater boat, but sometimes it's not enough. Most freshwater boats don't have saltwater rated connectors for wiring. Meaning shrink wrapped, crimped, and soldered connections, stainless parts, etc etc. It comes down to price at that point. Most freshwater guys have no need to pay the extra cash for it, understandably so. It's amazing how quickly stuff can corrode that you can't see and wash. It doesn't take much water to do it either. Just being exposed to the salt air is enough to start the corrosion process.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I wasn't catching fish yesterday so I decided anything goes, I'd try a Chatterbait. I opened my chatterbait box and a lot of them had rusted, I broke one hook off with my bare hands. I had used them briefly on striped bass on a previous trip. Three things: Some Chatterbaits aren't for brackish water, Rinse your lures if in doubt, Don't leave trailers on Chatterbaits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts