Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In general, if you had 6 rods,

1.) what would you rig them with??
2.) Would you do half with vertical baits and the other half with horizontal baits?
3.) What types of bait would you use?

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
spring time
1.shallow crank - crawdad,red
2.med crank - parrot
3. chatter bait -white
4 jig -balck and blue
5.yum dinger-pumpkin w/ chartreuse tail
6 berkley 4" craw black and blue?
heading out in the morning and poles already rigged

·
Registered
696 Posts
as bad as this sounds i only take 2 poles with me because im always fishing in someone elses' boat. :(
so start with a texas rig for either worm or lizard, then the other ill stick a spinnerbait, surface or mid running crank on

·
Premium Member
13,633 Posts
I'd have my rods set up like this I believe:

1. texas rigged rod
2. soft jerkbait rigged rod
3. spinnerbait
4. jig
5. crankbait
6. carolina rigged rod

though during colder months i more than likely would swap out #2 with a small crankbait.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may just be like natekelsi and just stick to 2 or 3 rods. LOL I hate carrying all of those rods when in reality I only use 2 or 3 of them.

That is some great input guys. Thanks for sharing and please keep them coming.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
It depends on the seasonal period what I pre rig and where and how I'm fishing.
I think we discussed this before under tackle organization; Tackle Bags/Boxes.
The inventory in the rod lockeris usually 10 outfirs, 8 bait casting and 2 spinning.
Pre rigged, crank rod with Berkley snap.
Texas rigged 3/0 and 3/16 w-bead, bait casting.
2 jigs, bait casting.
swimbait rod with large size Berley snap.
spinning with drop shot and with slip shot.
Try to keep only one or two outfits on the deck at any given time.
Tom

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oldschool said:
Tom
Nope. I looked back at Tackle Bags/Boxes and from what I saw you were the only one that mentioned rods and reels and what type of line you use.

I am more interested in what lures that people keep tied on most of the time. I am trying to narrow down the amount of rods that I bring with me by comparing what other anglers tie on to their rods. I'm thinking, and so far my thoughts are right due to the responses, that I might get away with only bring 4 rods instead of 6.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If we have talked about this before and someone can send me a link I will be more than happy to merge the two together. Not a problem.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
But i tend to carry around 12 baitcasters and 3 spinning rods in the boat at all times that way if one rod or reel breaks on me i have pretty much the exact same set up as the one that broke. A older gentleman that fished tournements when i was little taught me that and it just kinda stuck. Dave

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Texas Bass Pro said:
oldschool said:
Tom
Nope. I looked back at Tackle Bags/Boxes and from what I saw you were the only one that mentioned rods and reels and what type of line you use.

I am more interested in what lures that people keep tied on most of the time. I am trying to narrow down the amount of rods that I bring with me by comparing what other anglers tie on to their rods. I'm thinking, and so far my thoughts are right due to the responses, that I might get away with only bring 4 rods instead of 6.
Other than the jigs, I only pre rig snaps and hooks with weights. Then take along the tackle mention in the Bags & Boxes post. I rarely end up using more than 3 or 4 outfits during any given day, just don't know in advance what they are going to be. Could be a top water fog bite, jigs, worms, cranks, spoons,spinner baits, swimbaits, etc. I have a good idea of what to expect during any given seasonal period and tend to start with what I have confidence in during that time. It's a big mistake to determine what the bass will be biting, before you start fishing.
Tom
Ps; all you need is; a red trap, watermelon/green pumpkin w/red flake Zoom worm and black/blue jig. 3 med/hvy 6 1/2' casting rods & reels. Unfortunately that doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
635 Posts
When I had six rods, I rigged them as follows.
1. flippin stick, rigged with tube, critter, or jig
2. C-rig rod, rigged without bait.
3. Spinnerbait/topwater rod, usually rigged with spook or buzzer in the morning
4. Crankbait rod, lure depended on lake, species, etc.
5. worm rod, rigged with a fluke for early mornings
6. spinning rod rigged with a shaky head.

·
Banned
539 Posts
If I had six rods rigged they would be close to the following ....
1. flippin stick,
2. Crankbait Shallow
3. Crankbait Medium
4, Worm Rod T-rigged
5. Carolina Rig
6. Weightless worm rod

·
Registered
473 Posts
I generally keep 7 rigged
1. Spinnerbait
2. Buzzbait, or other top water(spook)
3. Texas rig
4. Tube
5. Glass Shad (GSR 5 or 7)
6. Deep Crank
7. Shallow Crank

Colors and sizes dependent on Lake, Weather, Temp, and Clarity Etc.

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Depends where im going etc... BUT what I normaly have rigged is

1. senko type bait weightless or very small weight.
2. brush hog
3. fluke
4. crankbait ( lipless mostly ) or a hard-bodied suspending jerkbait
5. topwater ( Devils Horse or spitter mainly )
6. carolina rig ( trick or finesse worm mainly )

·
Registered
640 Posts
dave0331_69 said:
if i only had 6 theyd be 1. jig and pig
2.spinnerbait
3.shakey head
4. Lipless
5. C-rig
6.texas rig
Dave
Thats me right there, and when the topwater starts up, I'll have one of them tied up too.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually only own 6 rods 5 are baitcasters and 1 spinning rod/reel. That is not even high quality because I am just not into spinning set ups.

While I have things rigged they are not permanently rigged. I also use snaps but I use speed clips. I like them. Crankbaits can easily be removed and a new one applied quickly. It also allows for more freedom of movement for the crank wether lipless or diving. But I always have a weightless hook rigged and a flipping type bait. Jig or a pegged weight with a large 5/0 hook. Baits can interchange as I need it. My other rods usually have a spinnerbait and then a top water.

But this comment stood out to me as the best advise I have seen in a while:
It's a big mistake to determine what the bass will be biting, before you start fishing.
Tom, this is harder to do then it is to say. I do try to be flexible when I can. Sometimes however, I get in a rut and fish with what I have on.

·
Premium Member
3,987 Posts
Pre rigging can lead to pre planning your day or fishing memories. We all do it to some degree because we are taught to be efficient with out time. we study the weather, solunar tables, seasonal periods, topo maps and ready ourselves to go fishing. We know where the bass are or should be and start with a presentation that worked the last time out or even the last year at this time. If all your planning works out and the bass are there biting, life is good. The problem is nothing happens exactly as planned every time out and you need to recognize when a change is needed. I believe pre rigging forces you to keep on the pre planned game plan too long. Ignoring what is actually going on because you want to fish a certain lure or presentation usually leads to a less than productive day on the water.
Tom

1 - 20 of 25 Posts