Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

Rigging tubes (Stupid Tube Rig)

16K views 38 replies 28 participants last post by  senkosam 
#1 ·
I figured we should discuss one of my favorite ways to rig tubes. The stupid tube rig. I love fishing tubes, they are fish catching machines, but i hated the fact that they were not weedless. Apparently other people hated it too, because after i did a bit of tube wrecking experimentation i came up with a way to rig them with tube heads and still make them weedless. After a google search it turns out other people have come up with the same thing. I thought i would share my technique with you. Behold the "Stupid Tube Rig"

First you will need three things.
1) Tube (hollow)
2) Jig head (tube head with wide gap hooks and no rattles works the best for me)
3) Mega Strike fish attractant.

Step one: Feed the tube down the shank of the hook until the hooks is totally exposed and the jig head is buried. DO NOT make the hook exit the tube head in the center of the body, you want it slightly off set like for a texas rig.

Step Two: Expose the head of the jig and give it a bit of mega strike. This is a lubricant and will help prevent ripping of the tube. There is no need to be sparing with the Mega Strike, i use enough to coat the head and then that amount again. The reason for this is you will loose some when you slide the head back down the tube. Which you should do now.

Step three: Gently and "slowly" rotate the jig head in side the tube until the hook has come to the "back" end of the tube. Once this happens just poke the hook eye out of the tube and complete the texas rig. Shazaam you now have a weedless tube which casts well and actually tends to outlast a standard texas rig in my experience.

Hope it helps.

[smg id=2928]

[smg id=2927]

[smg id=2932]

[smg id=2925]

[smg id=2926]

[smg id=2931]

[smg id=2921]

[smg id=2922]

[smg id=2929]

[smg id=2930]

[smg id=2923]

[smg id=2924]

Lunchbox :victory:

P.S. Turns out this technique was used by an Indiana Angler to make the BASSmaster Classic in 2007. He finished Fourth apparently. His name is Terry McWilliams.

See less See more
#27 ·
lunchbox said:
DannyG said:
ive never fished tubes but am planning on it this year... I like the idea. But, my question would be after fishing the inital setup.. you'll have to untie to replace the tube... unless im wrong... but the pictures look good for the initial tie up. How long does that one tube usually last?
Danny, as part of my prep before fishing i make up several of these rigs. That way i do not have to futz with it on the water. I just retie.
Jigman has it right. More often than not the reason i am changing lures is because i have hung them up and broken them off. Even with a pretty danged weedless set up like these, you can not always back them out of rocks. You just have to break and re-tie.

Jared let me know if you need some EWG tube jigs. We carry some great ones in store.

Thanks for the comments
Brandon
www.protackleoutfitters.com
Brandon, I couldnt find the EWG tube jigs in t he shop.. can you show me where?

#28 ·
Jared, i know we usually stock them, but we may be out of stock. If we are our website hides that listing so people do not order it. I will check tomorrow. they are the same price as the other bite me jigs hooks. $2.99

Brandon

#29 ·
lunchbox said:
Jared, i know we usually stock them, but we may be out of stock. If we are our website hides that listing so people do not order it. I will check tomorrow. they are the same price as the other bite me jigs hooks. $2.99

Brandon
oh ok awesome! Thank you Brandon :D

#30 ·
What can I say, customer service makes for repeat business :)

Brandon

#37 ·
I throw more 4 inch tubes than any other. As for weights, i let the conditions, and the fish tell me that. I USUALLY throw a 3/16oz tube head, which comes out to be about 5/16 after you get the tube on there. my average depth though is only 8 feet.

#38 ·
Do you think you could re-post pictures of the stupid rig?

thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.