Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured we should discuss one of my favorite ways to rig tubes. The stupid tube rig. I love fishing tubes, they are fish catching machines, but i hated the fact that they were not weedless. Apparently other people hated it too, because after i did a bit of tube wrecking experimentation i came up with a way to rig them with tube heads and still make them weedless. After a google search it turns out other people have come up with the same thing. I thought i would share my technique with you. Behold the "Stupid Tube Rig"

First you will need three things.
1) Tube (hollow)
2) Jig head (tube head with wide gap hooks and no rattles works the best for me)
3) Mega Strike fish attractant.

Step one: Feed the tube down the shank of the hook until the hooks is totally exposed and the jig head is buried. DO NOT make the hook exit the tube head in the center of the body, you want it slightly off set like for a texas rig.

Step Two: Expose the head of the jig and give it a bit of mega strike. This is a lubricant and will help prevent ripping of the tube. There is no need to be sparing with the Mega Strike, i use enough to coat the head and then that amount again. The reason for this is you will loose some when you slide the head back down the tube. Which you should do now.

Step three: Gently and "slowly" rotate the jig head in side the tube until the hook has come to the "back" end of the tube. Once this happens just poke the hook eye out of the tube and complete the texas rig. Shazaam you now have a weedless tube which casts well and actually tends to outlast a standard texas rig in my experience.

Hope it helps.

[smg id=2928]

[smg id=2927]

[smg id=2932]

[smg id=2925]

[smg id=2926]

[smg id=2931]

[smg id=2921]

[smg id=2922]

[smg id=2929]

[smg id=2930]

[smg id=2923]

[smg id=2924]

Lunchbox :victory:

P.S. Turns out this technique was used by an Indiana Angler to make the BASSmaster Classic in 2007. He finished Fourth apparently. His name is Terry McWilliams.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Thanks for posting this up lunchbox. I could never figure out how to rig a tube decently so I gave up fishing them. This looks pretty easy and worth a try.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
:thumbup01: Thanks!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
OMG!!! I have never been able to do that right!! Thanks for the link to the pics. It really helped alot.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Great post,,,,,,thanks

another great way to rig them is with an internal weight. I use cheap bell sinkers instead of the expensive tube weights. the sinkers with the brass ring that swivels on top.
Stick the tube weight into the tube with the brass ring first. push it all the way to the tip.
Texas rig an worm hook throught the tip making sure you thread the hook through the brass ring in the weight as it passes through the tube. this ensures the weight cannot fall out.
rig hook up texas style like normal.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am just starting to fish tubes so thanks for this post I will utilize it soon. It looks simple to do as well. I like the name of the rig lol

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dchance said:
another great way to rig them is with an internal weight.
I agree that method works, but it reduces the likely hood of a hook up. I have had that weight foul me before.

Sharkbite said:
I like the name of the rig lol
I can not claim it. That was Mr. McWilliams. I liked it so i stuck with it.

CaptainMo said:
Good info LB...Thanks for the pics...makes understanding the steps alot easier... :thumbup01:
joe said:
OMG!!! I have never been able to do that right!! Thanks for the link to the pics. It really helped alot.
Taken in my own home and everything. Yay digital cameras. One of the most important things i have ever learned about posting instructional things is that pictures really do help get your point across. I am a visual person my self.

Glad you folks like it.

Lunchbox :victory:

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Nice tip Lunchbox, can say I haven't tried that one, yet, subject to change. :clap: :thumbup01:
Rodney

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thanks. Pics were great. You should also try them on a football screw-lock, works well

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
Great post!! Thanks for the info, I am going to give this a try. :thumbup01:

·
Registered
524 Posts
wow that is cool. I fish tubes alot as well but havent ever seen it rigged like that. Thank you Brandon I will be trying that.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
I wonder where the name "stupid tube" came from..... :D

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Still haven't ried it yet, forgetful I guess. It does look interesting, I think I'll have to try it when i can fish again.
Rodney

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I fish a lot of tubes and fish them with different heads and styles. I have used your method as well as the bell sinker. I have the most trouble with hooksets and the bell sinker.

I'm kind of lazy and really like the open hook so I came up with a way that works for me and allows the open hook and a weedguard. It took a nail and a piece of old TV Rabbit ears to make the tool.

In order to make things go easier, I use some slickum that I made up from petroleum jelly and garlic powder. I dip the tool in it and the head in it before doing the insert or maybe a bit of WD-40 where it is legal. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
The pictures make it a lot easier to understand. Thanks for sharing LB. I will have to try this in the spring.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
Thats a really cool trick Jig Man, Thanks for posting. :thumbup01: :clap: :thumbup01:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts