Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fished for 50 years with only ABU baitcasting reels dating way back to the round 55000 C and 4500 C. I recently purchased a Revo STX and have been satisfied.
A couple of weeks ago I looked at a Pfluger Patriarch and was impressed, at least at Bass Pro Shops in Des Moines. After all these years, I would like and am willing to try something new. Any opinions? Has anyone used the Patriarch? Pfluger has been around for many years, but I have never fished with one of thier products. Also looked at Shimano Chronarch.

·
Registered
213 Posts
NavyVet said:
I have fished for 50 years with only ABU baitcasting reels dating way back to the round 55000 C and 4500 C. I recently purchased a Revo STX and have been satisfied.
A couple of weeks ago I looked at a Pfluger Patriarch and was impressed, at least at Bass Pro Shops in Des Moines. After all these years, I would like and am willing to try something new. Any opinions? Has anyone used the Patriarch? Pfluger has been around for many years, but I have never fished with one of thier products. Also looked at Shimano Chronarch.
The Abu Revo line is better quality than Pfluger IMO. The Shimano Chronarch is the only thing I would suggest using. I have both Revo/Chronarch/Curado . I like them all and all have lasted. I had a Patriarch after 2 years of use I just gave it away. It got Loose and the bearings went away. Maybe i just got a bad one I dunno. I just know I dont buy pfluger anymore lol.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
I also have all Revo,s. I have had some of these for over 4 years and never had a problem with them. I think at last count I had 17. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Revo line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Sorry to be the dissenting voice here, but if you like the looks and feel of the new patriarch, get it, you will love it. It's one sweet reel. As for being an abu fan, Abu Garcia was sold to Pure fshing brands several years ago, so was Pflueger and Penn. They are all now built by the same company and just sold under different names. Most of the internal parts from any of the similar looking reels are interchangeable. They all use the same exact bearings. One nice feature of the current Patriarch is the Titanium coating. The silver paint on Abu and Pfueger reels has always been a weak spot, they scratch easy. The black reels were very durable but not the silver. This new Ti coated reel will be extremly durable and should look great for years to come as long as they are not abused. Both the revo stx, and premier use a2 part spool system called infini. I actually am sure that the designers thought that was a great idea and now just can't admit that it wasn't. I can make any one peice spool shaft reel from those same companies cast way better than the infini reels will. The inffin reels have a spot where the 2 metal shafts come togeth in a ball and socket. The socket area is milled out and is always rough inside as it's to small of an opening to get inside it and polish it. Thats steadily gets worse over time and replacing the spool is the only option to get back the performace lost once the socket area gets to rough. The Pflueger reels didn't get the infin system, they have the tried and true one peice shafts.
Both the revos and the patrirach have a similar dual brake system, so they both are good there.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
Navy another voice here! before you decide I suggest ya look at the Lew's Reels! I was a big supporter of Revos and Pflueger's until I got hold of a Lew's!!!! A very nice reel from the $79.99 on up to the tourny Pro! at $199.99 I am gradually replacing my reels with these! and have found their adjustments far superior to the others and Backlashes (professional over runs) are now a thing of the past! :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: :thumbup01: JMHO!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pro Reel said:
Sorry to be the dissenting voice here, but if you like the looks and feel of the new patriarch, get it, you will love it. It's one sweet reel. As for being an abu fan, Abu Garcia was sold to Pure fshing brands several years ago, so was Pflueger and Penn. They are all now built by the same company and just sold under different names. Most of the internal parts from any of the similar looking reels are interchangeable. They all use the same exact bearings. One nice feature of the current Patriarch is the Titanium coating. The silver paint on Abu and Pfueger reels has always been a weak spot, they scratch easy. The black reels were very durable but not the silver. This new Ti coated reel will be extremly durable and should look great for years to come as long as they are not abused. Both the revo stx, and premier use a2 part spool system called infini. I actually am sure that the designers thought that was a great idea and now just can't admit that it wasn't. I can make any one peice spool shaft reel from those same companies cast way better than the infini reels will. The inffin reels have a spot where the 2 metal shafts come togeth in a ball and socket. The socket area is milled out and is always rough inside as it's to small of an opening to get inside it and polish it. Thats steadily gets worse over time and replacing the spool is the only option to get back the performace lost once the socket area gets to rough. The Pflueger reels didn't get the infin system, they have the tried and true one peice shafts.
Both the revos and the patrirach have a similar dual brake system, so they both are good there.
Better let the boys over at Diawa know, their upper end reels have been using a similar two piece spool for years, including the Pixy, which is often regarded as the top finesse reel around.

Way is a very subjective term, care to put a number to it. Can I expect 10%, 20% or more gain.
How many spools have you had to replace due to this area becomeing so rough that it was no longer useable? I have never had any problem with any of mine.

Now before anyone gets their panties all balled up, Kevin and I know each other well, I respect his opinion, but I certainly feel the need to question some of these statements.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Tavery5 said:
Pro Reel said:
Better let the boys over at Diawa know, their upper end reels have been using a similar two piece spool for years, including the Pixy, which is often regarded as the top finesse reel around.

Way is a very subjective term, care to put a number to it. Can I expect 10%, 20% or more gain.
How many spools have you had to replace due to this area becomeing so rough that it was no longer useable? I have never had any problem with any of mine.

Now before anyone gets their panties all balled up, Kevin and I know each other well, I respect his opinion, but I certainly feel the need to question some of these statements.
If Abu had simply copied the daiwa design, they would have a very good 2 part spool shaft with no pinion contact, They didn't. Daiwa uses round ends on both ends of the spool shaft. They then use a very hard material for the tension rod that makes the 2nd part of the spool shaft. The material is proprietary, so who knows what it is, but it seems to be a very hard composite. The end of it that puts tension on the spool is flat with a very small dimple to center it on the spool shaft. There is no ball and socket with the Daiwa design. The Daiwa design can also be improved by super tuning techniques such as polishing the ROUND ends of the spool shaft. As you know, many tackle enthusiaists do tune thier Daiwa reels with excelent results. No one that I know of or have heard of has found a way to smooth out the inside of the socket area on the Abu system. If somone has an idea on how to do that, short of sending them to a machine shop, I would love to hear it. As many here know, I have used the Revo STX reels since they came out 11 years ago. I started with the first generation and then switched to the 2nd generation. I have tried everything i know to make the Abu 2 part spool work smoother, there is nothing that can be done that I know of. I also have used several SX reels, the ones with a one peice spool shaft, I was able to tune the SX reels and my own personal experience was that I could cast WAY further with them, however, they only came in magnetic brakes and would backlash easily than reels with centrifugal brakes or dual brakes. If the Sx had come with the dual brakes, I would be using them today. How far is WAY? I don't give percentages, I'm sure most here would know that it's a subjective term to indicate a significant difference in the gain i can give a one piece spool shaft reel over the 2 peice Abu system that i can't improve at all. I'm also fairly positive that you have not been using yours long enough for the socket area to get rough. I'm sure that you have seen the effects of deeply dimpled tension shims, well the socket on the Abu spool is recieveing the same force as a tension shim does and it's metal on metal contact, I have seen many of them in various conditions, I'm just now starting to see some of the oldest first generation spools that have what i would call a wobbled out socket and significantly worn down tension rods. I have replaced aproximatly 10 rods in the last 6 months, i know this because i have 2 of the 12 I ordered left. I have not replaced a spool because of this yet, because the reel will still cast acceptable until the socket gets a lot worse than what i saw, however, there is a difference between acceptable and excelent. The Abu infinni system was one of the only things that i did not like about my Revos and was the main reason I have switched back to Shimano reels. I also seem to remember that when you first bought your Lews reels, you commented to me that they cast a lot better than your Abu reels did and you didn't understand why, but knew that they did. The lews reel had a one piece spool shaft that was spinning against ceramic fiber tension disks instead of the Abu system of a metal shaft spinning in a rough milled metal socket, thats why. But all this is just my opinion, I'm sure many will not agree, take it or leave it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pro Reel said:
Tavery5 said:
Pro Reel said:
Sorry to be the dissenting voice here, but if you like the looks and feel of the new patriarch, get it, you will love it. It's one sweet reel. As for being an abu fan, Abu Garcia was sold to Pufishinging brands several years ago, so was Pflueger and Penn. They are all now built by the same company and just sold under different names. Most of the internal parts from any of the similar looking reels are interchangeable. They all use the same exact bearings. One nice feature of the current Patriarch is the Titanium coating. The silver paint on Abu and Pfueger reels has always been a weak spot, they scratch easy. The black reels were very durable but not the silver. This new Ti coated reel will extremelymly durable and should look great for years to come as long as they are not abused. Both the revo stx, and premier use a2 part spool system called infini. I actually am sure that the designers thought that was a great idea and now just can't admit that it wasn't. I can make any opieceice spool shaft reel from those same companies cast way better than the infini reels will. The inffin reels have a spot where the 2 metal shafts cotogethereth in a ball and socket. The socket area is milled out and is always rough inside as it's to small of an opening to get inside it and polish it. Thats steadily gets worse over time and replacing the spool is the only option to get back tperformanceace lost once the socket area gets to rough. The Pflueger reels didn't get the infin system, they have the tried and true opieceice shafts.

How many spools have you had to replace due to becoming becomeing so rough that it was usableer useable? I have never had any problem with any of mine.

If Abu had simply copied the daiwa design, they would have a very good 2 part spool shaft with no pinion contact, They didn't. Daiwa uses round ends on both ends of the spool shaft. They then use a very hard material for the tension rod that makes the 2nd part of the spool shaft. The material is proprietary, so who knows what it is, but it seems to be a very hard composite. The end of it that puts tension on the spool is flat with a very small dimple to center it on the spool shaft. There is no ball and socket with the Daiwa design. The Daiwa design can also be improved by super tuning techniques such as polishing the ROUND ends of the spool shaft. As you knoenthusiastsle enthustheirs do tune thier Daexcellents with excelent results. No one that I know of or have heard of has found a way to smooth out the inside of the socket area on the someonestem. If somone has an idea on how to do that, short of sending them to a machine shop, I would love to hear it. As many here know, I have used the Revo STX reels since they came out 11 years ago. I started with the first generation and then switched to the 2nd generation. I have tried everything i know to make the Abu 2 part spool work smoother, there is nothing that can be done that I know of. I also have used several SX reels, the opieceith a one peice spool shaft, I was able to tune the SX reels and my own personal experience was that I could cast WAY further with them, however, they only came in magnetic brakes and would backlash easily than reels with centrifugal brakes or dual brakes. If the Sx had come with the dual brakes, I would be using them today. How far is WAY? I don't give percentages, I'm sure most here would know that it's a subjective term to indicate a significant difference in the gain i can give a one piece spool shaft rpiecever the 2 peice Abu system that i can't improve at all. I'm also fairly positive that you have not been using yours long enough for the socket area to get rough. I'm sure that you have seen the effects of deeply dimpled tension shims, well the socket on threceivingl is recieveing the same force as a tension shim does and it's metal on metal contact, I have seen many of them in various conditions, I'm just now starting to see some of the oldest first generation spools that have what i would call a wobbled out socket and significantly worn down tension rods. Iapproximatelyced aproximatly 10 rods in the last 6 months, i know this because i have 2 of the 12 I ordered left. I have not replaced a spool because of this yet, because the reel will still cast acceptable until the socket gets a lot worse than what i saw, however, there is a difference between excellentle and excelent. The Abu infinni system was one of the only things that i did not like about my Revos and was the main reason I have switched back to Shimano reels. I also seem to remember that when you first bought your Lews reels, you commented to me that they cast a lot better than your Abu reels did and you didn't understand why, but knew that they did. The lews reel had a one piece spool shaft that was spinning against ceramic fiber tension disks instead of the Abu system of a metal shaft spinning in a rough milled metal socket, thats why. But all this is just my opinion, I'm sure many will not agree, take it or leave it.
The Lews reels do cast very nice, at least when they are new, you know I went back to using Abu Premiers and one of the reasons was that the performancecasting performace fairly quickly and smoothness deteriorated as well. One big difference between the Daiwa and the Abu design is that Daiwa captures the half shaft in slside plateinto the sideplate. This forces the spool to turn on the friction point between the spool and half shaft. The Abu design is different, the half shaft is support by the bearing and is free to turn, if there was ever enough friction at the ball and socket to cause significant friction then the shaft would turn at the bearing and tension disk. Since this tread, I was curious so I examined several of my reels compared to a new one that has only been cast a few times, I can tell no, read a zero, appreciable difference between them, one of these reels is 7-8 years old.

When the bearings are clean on these reels I can cast a 3/8oz bait somewhere between 35 and 45 yards without much difficulty( I find this to be the same on just about every well maintained reel of any quality I have ever owned) , so horeallyh further do I realy need to cast. I too have owned SX reels both Gen1 and Gen2, the Gen1 does not perform as well as the Gen2 SX let alone a Premier, I agree that brakes have a lot to do with that. Another reason I like the 2 piece shaft is for pitching baits, I loosen the spool tension to just about nothing when I am doing this, the design of the two piece allows it to have IMO less friction in this situation.

I don't know how you could ever do a subjective test on which actually casts better, but I am willing to participate if you have an idea. I am interested in putting a number or percentage on what is way better.

One last thing about the Curado, you know I purchased and sold a 50E at almost half of what I paid for it, one big reason for this was that I could cast a 1/4 oz bait just as far or further with the Gen2 Premier, Ron, has also proven this to himself as well and is looking to get rid of his 50E to help pay for the new Premier he recently purchased as well. IMO without a true Chronarch the Core is the closest comparison.

Ask yourself this, have you seen anywhere else on the net where this is even being mentioned, if it were a real problem it would be big news with the Abu haters. Make a post on TT and see what kind of response you get.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pro Reel said:
Tavery5 said:
Pro Reel said:

If Abu had simply copied the daiwa design, they would have a very good 2 part spool shaft with no pinion contact, They didn't. Daiwa uses round ends on both ends of the spool shaft. They then use a very hard material for the tension rod that makes the 2nd part of the spool shaft. The material is proprietary, so who knows what it is, but it seems to be a very hard composite. The end of it that puts tension on the spool is flat with a very small dimple to center it on the spool shaft. There is no ball and socket with the Daiwa design. The Daiwa design can also be improved by super tuning techniques such as polishing the ROUND ends of the spool shaft. As you know, many tackle enthusiaists do tune thier Daiwa reels with excelent results. No one that I know of or have heard of has found a way to smooth out the inside of the socket area on the Abu system. If somone has an idea on how to do that, short of sending them to a machine shop, I would love to hear it. As many here know, I have used the Revo STX reels since they came out 11 years ago. I started with the first generation and then switched to the 2nd generation. I have tried everything i know to make the Abu 2 part spool work smoother, there is nothing that can be done that I know of. I also have used several SX reels, the ones with a one peice spool shaft, I was able to tune the SX reels and my own personal experience was that I could cast WAY further with them, however, they only came in magnetic brakes and would backlash easily than reels with centrifugal brakes or dual brakes. If the Sx had come with the dual brakes, I would be using them today. How far is WAY? I don't give percentages, I'm sure most here would know that it's a subjective term to indicate a significant difference in the gain i can give a one piece spool shaft reel over the 2 peice Abu system that i can't improve at all. I'm also fairly positive that you have not been using yours long enough for the socket area to get rough. I'm sure that you have seen the effects of deeply dimpled tension shims, well the socket on the Abu spool is recieveing the same force as a tension shim does and it's metal on metal contact, I have seen many of them in various conditions, I'm just now starting to see some of the oldest first generation spools that have what i would call a wobbled out socket and significantly worn down tension rods. I have replaced aproximatly 10 rods in the last 6 months, i know this because i have 2 of the 12 I ordered left. I have not replaced a spool because of this yet, because the reel will still cast acceptable until the socket gets a lot worse than what i saw, however, there is a difference between acceptable and excelent. The Abu infinni system was one of the only things that i did not like about my Revos and was the main reason I have switched back to Shimano reels. I also seem to remember that when you first bought your Lews reels, you commented to me that they cast a lot better than your Abu reels did and you didn't understand why, but knew that they did. The lews reel had a one piece spool shaft that was spinning against ceramic fiber tension disks instead of the Abu system of a metal shaft spinning in a rough milled metal socket, thats why. But all this is just my opinion, I'm sure many will not agree, take it or leave it.
Sorry this is difficult to read, the spell check on this site does not work well and when it makes corrections this is what I end up with.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Don't make a bigger deal out of this than what was the intent of the first post. They are just machines, I hope you don't get offended because I don't like one of the components of the machine you like or feels that it could have been designed a lot better. The premier is a very well refined reel, i just happen to be positive that it would be capable of casting even better if it had a better designed connection between the short shaft and the spool. Also, I don't like any design that doesn't allow you to polish out imperfections in a friction area to make it smoother. Take a similar designed reel that has a normal through the reel spool shaft and then take a reel with the infinni design. Hang a 3/4 oz weight on each reel, set the tension tight enough to make them both have a slow fall rate, then make a cast with both and reel them back in, I would expect you to get the same results i did in that at that tenson setting you will feel a noticable grind or metal on metal rubbing feeling with the inffini reel while cranking that you won't feel with the other reel. That is the metal to metal contact point between the spool and the shaft that causes this feel under tight tension. Now, if you can cast well enough that you never set your reel that tight, then that won't be any problem at all. The fact is, 7 out of every 10 reels i get in for service show signs of the tension being run very tight. That causes tension disks to have deep divots cut into them from the spool shaft spinning on them. The same thing is happening to the inside of the socket area on infinni reel and to the tension shaft. Yes, I can replace the shaft to get a close to new condition again, but I can't do anything about the inside of the rough milled socket, therefore, I don't like that design. As for how the Premier casts light baits or how it pitchs, that has nothing to do with this issue because you don;t set the tension tight for light baits or for pitching. As long as the tension ois only set tight enought to just barely take the side to side play out of the reel, then the inffini system will not be forcing a metal to metal presure point, and will cast just fine. Not everyone sets there reels like that though, most don't. In the first post of this section, I basically said that I would actually prefer the Pfluger reel over the abu reel because i don't like the infinni system and feel that I can make an equal reel without that sytem cast way better. The term way better is very subjective to how I feel about it so I will reword that to state that I don't like the infinni design and feel that I can make an equal reel without that design cast better, but maybe not way better. I also will acknowledge that if the infinni sytems is used under very little tension, then it spins just as good as any reel can spin.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
For those of you that are probably completly confused about what Tony and i are talking about, here are some photos. the spool on the left is the Abu infinni shown with it's tension rod, notice the ball and socket design. You can't see it clearly, but there is already a small divot forming in the bottom of this socket. What you can see is how there would be no way to smooth out the inside of this socket to decrease friction between the contact area. Thats what i don't like about it. The spool on the right is a Daiwa system, notice the large rounded end of the spool shaft and the polycarbonate type material used for it's tension rod. You will also notice that the end of the rod just barely contacts the spool for a low friction area and that the end of the spool can be polished to decrease any friction there even more. I think thats a very good design. The 2nd photo is the camera looking through a magnifying lens. You may be able to see some of what I'm talking about as to the slightly rough inside are of the socket and how there is no way to smooth that out. Now, Again, this doesn't mean that this is some major problem. All reels have something about them that's less than perfect and could be improved IMO. It also doesn't mean that it needs to be improved. I don't think i ever saaid the infinni reels don't cast just fine, I just think they could be better and in my own use i noticed a feeling of friction or a slight grind feeling anytime I cranked the reel under tight tension. I never felt that same feeling with other designs. I believe it's the metal on metal contact between the ball and socket that caused that feel. Again, my opinion based on my observations from the way my reels were set. These were the first geberation that only had mag brakes and the reel had to be run with the tension tight or it would backlash to easy. the dual brake reels don't have to be set nearly as tight and won't have nearly as much of this issue or none at all if they are always set loose.

Attachments

G

·
Very informative post “Thanks” I will take a look at this next time I take one apart for cleaning. I have not noticed any issues with my Revo’s but as stated in your post it could be lessoned or eliminated by loosening the tension knob. I always have my tension knobs set loose to the point were they are basically just a dust cover may be that is the answer.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pro Reel said:
Don't make a bigger deal out of this than what was the intent of the first post. They are just machines, I hope you don't get offended because I don't like one of the components of the machine you like or feels that it could have been designed a lot better. The premier is a very well refined reel, i just happen to be positive that it would be capable of casting even better if it had a better designed connection between the short shaft and the spool. Also, I don't like any design that doesn't allow you to polish out imperfections in a friction area to make it smoother. Take a similar designed reel that has a normal through the reel spool shaft and then take a reel with the infinni design. Hang a 3/4 oz weight on each reel, set the tension tight enough to make them both have a slow fall rate, then make a cast with both and reel them back in, I would expect you to get the same results i did in that at that tenson setting you will feel a noticable grind or metal on metal rubbing feeling with the inffini reel while cranking that you won't feel with the other reel. That is the metal to metal contact point between the spool and the shaft that causes this feel under tight tension. Now, if you can cast well enough that you never set your reel that tight, then that won't be any problem at all. The fact is, 7 out of every 10 reels i get in for service show signs of the tension being run very tight. That causes tension disks to have deep divots cut into them from the spool shaft spinning on them. The same thing is happening to the inside of the socket area on infinni reel and to the tension shaft. Yes, I can replace the shaft to get a close to new condition again, but I can't do anything about the inside of the rough milled socket, therefore, I don't like that design. As for how the Premier casts light baits or how it pitchs, that has nothing to do with this issue because you don;t set the tension tight for light baits or for pitching. As long as the tension ois only set tight enought to just barely take the side to side play out of the reel, then the inffini system will not be forcing a metal to metal presure point, and will cast just fine. Not everyone sets there reels like that though, most don't. In the first post of this section, I basically said that I would actually prefer the Pfluger reel over the abu reel because i don't like the infinni system and feel that I can make an equal reel without that sytem cast way better. The term way better is very subjective to how I feel about it so I will reword that to state that I don't like the infinni design and feel that I can make an equal reel without that design cast better, but maybe not way better. I also will acknowledge that if the infinni sytems is used under very little tension, then it spins just as good as any reel can spin.

Kevin, It is no big deal at all, just a discussion. Thanks for the pics, it reminded me of something I noticed when I looked at my reels yesterday. The Premier spool shaft, and the half shaft are both coated with a material Abu calls everslik, probably a tefelon of some sort, so you would not want to polish those, even in the oldest reel I have which I think is about 8 years old, I have no visible wear to that coating. The STX is a little different, but it looks to me like there is a small insert in the bottom of the spool shaft that is coated and the half shaft is coated as well, again, probably not a good idea to polish, even if you could. It's difficult to see, but with my jewler's lens I can see no wear to either of these surfaces. Not sure why you are haveing the problems that you are, but I do not have the same issue. I searched the net last night for anyone else reporting anything similar and could not find anything. Might want to get with Abu and see what they have to say.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Tony, you are right that the the premier has an everslick coating to the spool socket as well as the tension shaft, I have not seen a premier spool in a while and forgot about that. The STX didn't have the spool socket coated. It could be that Abu knew they could make that connection better and choose to do that with the premier. The STX has everslick on the tension rod, but what i have seen with about 10 reels now, is that with long enough use, the uncoated spool socket will wear the everslick off of the tension rod and then it's bare steel on bare steel. You are right that i never polish everslick or titainium coated parts, on reels that have that, the factory already made them as slick as they can be made.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pro Reel said:
Tony, you are right that the the premier has an everslick coating to the spool socket as well as the tension shaft, I have not seen a premier spool in a while and forgot about that. The STX didn't have the spool socket coated. It could be that Abu knew they could make that connection better and choose to do that with the premier. The STX has everslick on the tension rod, but what i have seen with about 10 reels now, is that with long enough use, the uncoated spool socket will wear the everslick off of the tension rod and then it's bare steel on bare steel. You are right that i never polish everslick or titainium coated parts, on reels that have that, the factory already made them as slick as they can be made.

I can't be sure, but looking at it through my jeweler's lens, it appears to me that the socket in the spool shaft appears to be coated, it also look like it may be an insert of some sort and not machined into the shaft.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great discussion...not much room left to comment... :fishing02: A few years ago...Pflueger had the edge on Abu Garcia with more max drag pressure...but Abu Garcia has caught up now. I own both brands...so like others have stated...they are VERY similar. I would take retired psg's advise and check into a Lew's. I bought a TS1S last spring and it is one of the finest reels I've ever used.

·
Registered
13,775 Posts
They are so similar that you may want to base part of your decision on manufacturer warranties, and ease to use if required. Being as they are both owned by Pure-Fishing now, I would presume they have similar, if not the exact same warranties and procedures? Personally I have been extremely happy with my STX's, but with them both being the same suggested retail price, it's probably as close to a toss up as there can be, so I might try a Pflueger when replacement time comes.

The Lews appears to be a decent reel, but it only has 14 lbs max drag, compared to the 20 lbs drag that the Abu and Pfluegers have. That's a deal breaker for me..I like having the extra drag.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts