Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know on here I am a relatively new Bassfisherman and as such am even newer to the likes of a baitcaster. Anyway while fishing a Tournament a couple of weeks back both of my MGXs had the line break in the spool. I had them both filled with Seaguar Tatsu (what I thought was a top line for a top reel) 12lb Flourocarbon. I was throwing mostly cranks actually a Lucky Craft Fat CB BDS Zero. My question lies in that am I doing wrong or is there a problem with the reel. I have a several baitcasters a Steez 103, a Curado 206, and a few different Quatum KVDs and have never had this happen in any of them. I get the occasional backlash but nothing too drastic. On the Steez I use Seagaur Abrazx and on one KVD I have Seaguar Invizx, so also wonder if it is that type of line. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,888 Posts
could be the breakage occured in an area weakened by a back lash????

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I wondered that myself but only questions is that why did it not happen on the backlashes on the KVD or Steez. My MGXs are the super high speed ones so is there a more likelihood of line twist. Does my knot the Pitzen (read about it here and like it as it never burns) I am now using over the palomar has anything to do with this. I may even get the reels tuned but I do not want to wait the rest of the season with out them. The more I think on this the more questions I have... See that I am rambling.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
retired-psg said:
could be the breakage occured in an area weakened by a back lash????
I had the same idea as Lou, floro is notorious for breaking if you have had a bad backlash and kinked the line. One reason I dont use floro anymore. I cannot think of any reason the reel could be causing the line to break.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I use Tatsu and have not had any problems like that. Heck i have had a few insane backlashes and it picked out easily. I was gentle, and did NOT use the "thumb pressure" technique. I am not sure if that changes anything though. Is it possible that you just got a bad batch of fluorocarbon? I know that does happen on occasion.
Keep us informed please
Brandon

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I will wait until next spooling as I now have Invizx on one and Abrazx on the other I changed both as soon as got off water the first day. I actually lost what a decent looking fish when I seen a broken end appear after a cast, so I stop and spool off the bad, and just as I get it all offand start bring in the crank by hand I got a great bite. I asked my partner is it legal to hand crank a fish in and was told that he did not see how it would be wrong. I got the fish almost with in netting range and it got off. Would have been quite funny if was not in tourney. I do use the thumb trick... I guess I better stop, I am so inexperienced that really have no idea what is the right way. I know that you do not just pull it out. I can not wait until my retirement in 3 years so that I will have the time to fish more and gain the needed experence. Thanks again all!

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's possilbe you are looking in the wrong place for the answer to your problem. It may not be the reel or the line for that matter. Check the eyes on your rod and make sure you do not have one that is cracked or chiped and causing your problem. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
It could be multiple things really.

1. Bad line from the manufacturer. I once bought a 20lb test spool of spiderwire and when I was spooling it I noticed the line was all frayed and snapped easily. This was a defect right out of the box. I don't blame spiderwire. Defects occasionally happen. I bought a new spool and checked out the line before I purchased it the next time.

2. Flouro is notorious for getting kinks and breaking. Stick with mono or braid imo. if you want to use floro use it as a leader.

3. check the guide on the rod for scratches and nicks and also the guide on the real itself to make sure that the line isn't catching on anything.

Tight Lines! :thumbup01:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts