Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost bought the 13' Field and Stream "Fishing" kayak Dicks had on sale for $399
I had a triple scorecard points coupon that expired that day for any "Fishing" purchase. But they wouldn't honor the coupon because they said the "Fishing" kayak didn't count as a "Fishing"purchase.

I said to the guy. " I will get 3 times 399 for a grand total of 1197 scorecard points which translates into almost "40 Dicks" dollars that I would be spending IN Dicks and I'm sure I would end up spending more than that because I would probably buy a new paddle and a new Jacket." He didn't want to hear it.
I prayed on his mind by telling him of all the merchandise I have purchased at Dicks over the years. a couple of Kayaks, paddles, jackets, rods and reels tackle, trolling motors, shotguns, ammo, a Bow, tents, amping equipment, two gazebos, a popup, Footwear, hunting apparrel, clothing, golf clubs, shoes, balls, soccer cleats, pads,balls, a basketball net and balls, footballs, hockey equipment, exercise equipment. The list went on and on. In the end all he had to say was two words, "Sorry Buddy".

I remember the days when Dicks would honor anything. I just reminded him that now that I live in Richmond, I am REAL close to Bass Pro Shops.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
Thats really sad Dan, some companies just dont care about their customers, like they used to. Hope your shopping experience goes better at the BPS. :thumbup01:

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Sounds like our store, Dan. The kayak craze has made them sloppy. Corporate regs probably limit local stores' abilities to improvise. It's oddly ironic they'd take the chance of losing thousands of dollars by their inflexibility.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Dan,
I did just what you are talking about back in May when they had the kayak sale. I went to the store with full intent to buy the F&S Kayak because it was a great price and the wife gave me the green light. I had in my hands a 200 points card for any purchase and triple rewards for any purchase minus the list of non eligible items that were on the back in fine print which the Kayak was not on it. The points were just icing on the cake for me. So when I got to the register I asked the girl if I could use both and she said she would ring them both in to see. She said they both scanned in with out any problems. So I was happy with the ton of points I just received. Mind you this store is new to our area it has only been open for about 8 or 9 months. So not sure if inexperience on the employee played a part. But a couple days later I checked my rewards balance and the triple point were not there. So I called the 800 number on the site. The women who answered was rather nice. I explained that I specifically asked the girl at the register if I could use both and she told me yes but they were not showing on my account. The women said I was only supposed to use one. Which if you look on the back it does not say not to be used with any other programs anywhere on these two coupons. So after a couple minutes of talking she credited my account with the triple points. Maybe if you got another person at the register you might not have had the problem. Also I don't see how a "fishing kayak" is not a fishing purchase?

By the way I love my new kayak. I have been out on it twice and it is great!

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How is the Field and Stream kayak? I read all the reviews on it. Most people liked it very much and said it was a good value. It looked sturdy and well constructed. One thing I noticed though was that it was reported to have a problem with the foot pedals coming loose or off.
I was hemming and hawing about it since it is 13 foot long and about 68 pounds worried that it may present some problems for me getting it on my roof myself. How do you handle it ?
Let me know how you make out with it. I still may pull the trigger and get one. ( yes, probably at Dicks)
Yeah, the fact that Dicks is advertising this as a "Fishing Kayak" was discussed.
I had the manager get in on it. He was the "Sorry Buddy " guy.
They did try to enter it into the register with no luck. Years ago the manager could and would override the register but like Jaison says, "Corporate regs probably limit local stores' abilities to improvise." What a shame. That flexibility is what you want customers to remember and is what creates return visits.
I am not saying I won't go back to Dicks, but lately the wrong image has been etched in my mind.
I wasn't confident that the coupon would be added to my points anyway.
I have had a number of problems with the scorecard coupons as well. The cashier will scan them, but they don't appear on the receipt.(or at least they didn't use to ) After having them not added on a several occasions and more than enough phone calls to question it, they were usually added, but not without the feeling like they were doing me a favor and that they were skeptical that I ever used the coupon.
I have suggested repeatedly to the scorecard folks that the points should be added to the receipt. This would help because on every occasion they acted like I never used the coupon.( like I was try to get over on them for 200 scorecard points which equals a whopping $3.33) The last time it happened the person told me that they could no longer make adjustments to my account since they had already made enough "courtesy" credits. Forget the fact that it is their own flawed system at work. Forget the fact that I have been a very loyal customer over many years. Forget the fact that they keep sending me the coupons that work occasionally and I still go in and buy items.
Once again, don't get me wrong, I like Dicks. But it is just another example of how corporations have forgotten how to treat customers, which in the end is to their own detriment.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
stealthfisher said:
How is the Field and Stream kayak? I read all the reviews on it. Most people liked it very much and said it was a good value. It looked sturdy and well constructed. One thing I noticed though was that it was reported to have a problem with the foot pedals coming loose or off.
I was hemming and hawing about it since it is 13 foot long and about 68 pounds worried that it may present some problems for me getting it on my roof myself. How do you handle it ?
Let me know how you make out with it. I still may pull the trigger and get one. ( yes, probably at Dicks)
Yeah, the fact that Dicks is advertising this as a "Fishing Kayak" was discussed.
I had the manager get in on it. He was the "Sorry Buddy " guy.
They did try to enter it into the register with no luck. Years ago the manager could and would override the register but like Jaison says, "Corporate regs probably limit local stores' abilities to improvise." What a shame. That flexibility is what you want customers to remember and is what creates return visits.
I am not saying I won't go back to Dicks, but lately the wrong image has been etched in my mind.
I wasn't confident that the coupon would be added to my points anyway.
I have had a number of problems with the scorecard coupons as well. The cashier will scan them, but they don't appear on the receipt.(or at least they didn't use to ) After having them not added on a several occasions and more than enough phone calls to question it, they were usually added, but not without the feeling like they were doing me a favor and that they were skeptical that I ever used the coupon.
I have suggested repeatedly to the scorecard folks that the points should be added to the receipt. This would help because on every occasion they acted like I never used the coupon.( like I was try to get over on them for 200 scorecard points which equals a whopping $3.33) The last time it happened the person told me that they could no longer make adjustments to my account since they had already made enough "courtesy" credits. Forget the fact that it is their own flawed system at work. Forget the fact that I have been a very loyal customer over many years. Forget the fact that they keep sending me the coupons that work occasionally and I still go in and buy items.
Once again, don't get me wrong, I like Dicks. But it is just another example of how corporations have forgotten how to treat customers, which in the end is to their own detriment.
I think you should put this response in a formal letter and send it to Dicks Coroprate headquarters, well written Dan. :thumbup01:

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Dan I know how you feel. I only go to Dick's if I really have no other choice. I stopped going to Cabela's as much too. I'll go to Bass Pro. Reason being they are the only one I know of that will give a vet a discount anytime.

I was at Cabela's and asked if there's a military discount. They said once in awhile they do. I told them BPS does all the time.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Dan the kayak is great. I read all the reviews as well. Each one I read they all had little complaints. One was tracking. Mine tracks true. I was using a 8 footer before and one thing I noticed is spinning it around is a little more effort due to the length difference but this one glides through the water with little paddle effort compared to my older kayak. The other complaint is the front cover. It is not a big issue for me. It is like a Tupperware container just burp it on. :) The one thing I can agree with is the seat complaints. That seat is good for about an hour. My first trip was a night trip. I was out for about 3 hours. I was sore from that. I think the first upgrade will be a new seat. One other thing I seen int he reviews as a complaint was they can't fit a full size milk crate. Well it can with modifications to the milk crate. I cut off two of the lower corners of the milk crate and it slide right into position with no problems. Storage in it is very impressive. I had 5 rods in the body of it two of the rods are over 7 feet. This is where the :rg: comes in handy. Over all I am very happy with this purchase.

For me the closest Bass Pro is over 60 Miles away and the closest Cabelas is over 100 Miles. Dicks open this store right in my town and it is about 3 miles. I love the fact they are so close and now I have a place that I can pick up my fishing gear without planning a day trip out of it. Thanks for the info on the scorecard. I will have to keep an eye on it for all future purchases.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Oh forgot to answer some of your other questions. The foot pads are sturdy on mine. I have pushed them hard enough were you can see the rails start to bow out but they have not let go or popped off. For the weight it is a little heavy. I just put it into the bed of my truck. But without anything in it I can lift it on my shoulder and carry it just fine but I think a kayak cart will be my next purchase or build.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'll say it it will be unpopular as it will be

Dick's is a for "Profit Corporation" hense the reason they're prices are 23-30% than other similar sporting good stores.

As hard as it is to swallow Dick's is not giving away free canoes, kayaks, rods, reels, lures, line, guns, knives, shirts, shoes, golf clubs, or even those ridiculously silly hats they sell

Dick's is not going to give away free anything

The fact is Dicks score points are a joke they must use the "New Math" as near as I can figure. Like any other Corp they use the point to Lure (pointed wording used on purpose) to get you in the door.

Even at half price Dicks isn't losing money.

Your asking them to Gift you a canoe, or a kayak..... they're not gonna give away merchandise 1st rule in Business is to make a profit (any business)

Let the flames begin

Some maynot appreciate or like the truth
This is the truth the way I see it ie my opinion

delete my acct or this post if you must I'll understand and find another sandbox

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I agree, austins. Profit is how free market capitalism lives and does the good things it does. Somehow profit has become a four-letter word in some circles. I doubt, however, that the MSM has infiltrated TBH membership too badly. ;) With the number of entrepreneurs we have on here, re-distribution of wealth probably wouldn't get too much traction. :lmao:

I think what old' Stealthy was getting at was Dick's being a little sneaky with the points they offer. There should be a way for local stores to look at any individual account and proceed accordingly. I work for an hvac contractor and we have some flexibility on prices and rebates. You bet profit is the main goal, though. Without it we can't pay overhead or keep up the crazy amount of training, insurance, etc. Still, having that flexibility is a great tool to keep long term customers happy and the competition out of the picture.

Bottom line- I'm with you, dude, as far as profit being good. :thumbup01:

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not quite sure how to respond to that
other than to say that I understand and agree
that Dicks is in it for the profit. Profit
is good. It allows corps to hire normal
joes like you and me so that we can
provide for our families. As for looking
for Dicks to " Give " me a "Free" kayak?? I think
I mentioned that I was willing to shell out
over $400.00 for the kayak. I don't know
about everyone's situation but that is
Not chump change for me. My discussion
with the store personnel was just pointing
out that after I spent about $428.00 (tax incl.)
them allowing the coupon to be used would
insure a return visit by me with my $40.00
Scorecard check that I would surely spend
more than the amount of the check,probably
buying a new paddle( even though I have two I bought
at Dicks already) and was going to buy a new
life jacket ( which I also have 3 bought at
Dicks). The whole idea of the Scorecard program
was obviously designed for the purpose of
return visits. That's where profitability in
any business thrives.
Suffice it to say that I was on the fence about
pulling the trigger on the purchase because of
questions of it bring a bit heavier than I could handle,some
questions about reviews posted regarding the seat and
footrests and just spending that much. If I was s betting man
my money would be on the bet that most store purchaces probably aren't at
as high as $400.00 The coupon would
put a sale on Dicks balance sheet. And a return visit.
No flames. Opinions are always welcome here as long
as they are not peppered with attitude or insult.
You keep playing here brother.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.