Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dunno:Have been hearing about a reel lube called TSI 301, I've heard both good & bad about it and wondered if any of you Bassholer's had used it. My understanding is that it has been around for awhile but as a machine bearing lube, not as a real lube. I have been using hotsauce but after reading what Kevin has written, I am thinking of switching to yellow or red rocket fuel. Thanks y'all

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have heard nothing but good about Rocket Fuel. I have a friend who is in to competitive yo-yo, yes it really does exist, and he uses rocket fuel on his bearings. Loves it. I believe that is what Kevin uses on my reels as well, and if so it is amazing stuff. Sorry i have nothing to add about TSI 301.
Brandon

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I have read mixed results like you though I haven't used it. A friend talked me into hot sauce and it did not work for me and my ceramic bearings. I had way better luck running them dry.

When I have to use a reel tech, the one I use only uses Shimano oil on my reels and they are working great so I guess I'll stick with that for the time being.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
I have been using the Ardent Reel Butter lube and so far have no complaints with it. I was thinking of giving the Rocket Fuel a try, but im probably just going to send my reels to Kevin and let him work his magic on them. :thumbup01: :clap: :clap:

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
I have tried almost every well know oil or lubricant on the market. What I found is that there isn't any one perfect lube for every reel. I use rocket fuel brand of oils on all reels that I work on. The clutch parts and sliding parts of every reel gets oiled with Red label Rocket fuel. The worm gears and pawl of most reels gets oiled with red label Rocket fuel, but those same parts on an ambassaduer reel get oiled with yellow label rocket fuel. On those reels, the line guide moves during the cast so I use the thinner yellow label on that worm gear. I use yellow label rocket fuel to oil most bearings on standard clean & lube jobs. I use a 50/50 blend of yellow label and tournament label oil on the spool bearings of super tuned clean & lube jobs. I use TSI 301 in spool bearings on pro tuned reels. I also buff a paste of tungsten disulphide into the steel friction points and tension disks on pro tuned reels. TSI 301 is by far the best spool bearing lube you can use for long term free spool with excellent corrosion resistance. There is one downfall to using TSI 301, the small amount of liquid lubricant that remains after the TSI permeates the steel isn't enough to provide any sound dampening. Therefore, if you use TSI 301 on bearings that have a little wear to them, they will be noisy with a noticeable clickety clak sound. On reels that are getting the pro tune, I check the bearings first, If they are a little worn, but still serviceable, I use my custom blend of rocket fuel to lube those spool bearings or give the customer the option of replacing the bearings with new stock bearings treated with TSI 301. I don't use TSI 301 on Ceramic hybrid bearings. I tried that and the results were not satisfactory. I put a thin coat of Rocket fuel tournament formula on ceramic bearings just to protect the stainless steel cages.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Kevin, I knew that I would get a stright answer from you. I'll be sending a couple of reels your way shortly. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I talked to Kevin today he is great guy. Answered all my questions. He has some reel knowledge for sure. Thank again Kevin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure if you guys have ever tried using Tungsten WS2 lubricants but we have a great write up on the qualities and benefits:

Tungsten Disulfide is rated better than Titanium, Teflon, Graphite and MolyB lubricants! Rated by scientists as the most lubricious material on the planet, offering a lubricity that no other substance can match! As “super lubrication agents”, Tungsten WS2 Lubricants have proven their capacity to reduce wear by up to 30% , depending on the base oil and working conditions.

Complete Tungsten WS2 Lubricants Information

1 - 8 of 8 Posts