Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was so excited when UPS showed up at my door last night with a box for me!

It was my poison tail jig mold from Do-It Molds! :clap:

It's mold # 3420 and it has 3 cavities. It makes 1 of each, 1/8oz w 1/0 EWG hook, 1/4oz with 2/0 EWG hook and 3/8oz with 3/0 EWG hook.

I also got the Lee Precision Melter and a ladle.

I cranked it up and melted down some lead last night and made a few jigs. This is going to be fun! :clap:

I still need to buy some paint and some skirt material but all in due time :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
I have both of the PT molds. They make a fantastic jig but are hard to pour.

For skirt tabs have a look at www.fishingskirts.com. Just be careful the first order I made was for 800 tabs and my wife came in the study while I was placing it. Instead of having a fit she wanted 600 of her own. :D

The bands and $4 tool to put them on is are well worth the price.

You can get by with 3 or 4 basic colors to start. Powder paint is much cheaper by the pound than in those itty bitty 2 oz bottles.

Don't forget to check out my tutorial on building a fluid bed to paint those jig heads. :fishing01:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
That EWG hook does not work very well for me? Check out the other 28 and 30 degree hooks on Barlows. I second Jig Mans comments about the powder paint! I have a bunch of gray and pearl white I will not use so what do you have to trade?

Allen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
Munkin said:
That EWG hook does not work very well for me? Check out the other 28 and 30 degree hooks on Barlows. I second Jig Mans comments about the powder paint! I have a bunch of gray and pearl white I will not use so what do you have to trade?

Allen
What type of problems are you having with the EWG hook Munkin?


:cool2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
ReefDonkey said:
What type of problems are you having with the EWG hook Munkin?


:cool2:
The Mustad 91768 just does not work well as a jig hook for me? The hookup ratio and amount of lost fish is a lot higher than with other hooks.

For that mold I would try the 32886 for flippin and heavy swim jigs or the 32724 for light Wisconsin style swim jigs.

Allen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
there is a site called www.powderbythepound.com you just have to sift thru all the available colors i found most of mine in the standard colors there and they work great! 10.99 a pound and up is alot better than what you can get from cs coatings even with their wholesale program and more choices!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
POWERWORM said:
there is a site called www.powderbythepound.com you just have to sift thru all the available colors i found most of mine in the standard colors there and they work great! 10.99 a pound and up is alot better than what you can get from cs coatings even with their wholesale program and more choices!!
hmm that address doesnt go anywhere but a dead site... are they still around or did you get the address wrong?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
from what I am told it is every bit as good. Some even say it is better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
cool well i got everything on the way to make some i got the powder from powderbuy the pound. and skirts from fishing skirts.com and mold and pot from janns netcraft so all i need to do is build a fluid bed . man i cant wait it makes you feel like a kid again like the night before christmas !!! lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
Munkin said:
ReefDonkey said:
What type of problems are you having with the EWG hook Munkin?


:cool2:
The Mustad 91768 just does not work well as a jig hook for me? The hookup ratio and amount of lost fish is a lot higher than with other hooks.

For that mold I would try the 32886 for flippin and heavy swim jigs or the 32724 for light Wisconsin style swim jigs.

Allen
I've heard that from other people too, but I can't say that I've had the same problems with the 91768 hook. If it is a light bite I may understand the lack of hook ups, and maybe a 32886 would work better and that is a fine hook as well. (incidentaly the 32886 will most likely fit that mold) but once I've got one stuck on the 91768, I have never had them come unbuttoned. I don't recall losing a hooked fish with that hook, and the missed bites are minimal for me. Either way a pretty versitile and proven jig.



:cool2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Jared - I'm looking into buying the PT mold from Do-It and was interested in the sizes you stated. The problem I'm having is item# 3420 is for 1/8, 1/4, and 3/8 and not 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2.

Where did you purchase your mold with those sizes?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OOps Im sorry Wackinlips... I have 3420 and I wrote the sizes down incorrectly in my opening post. (going to go correct that now)

looks like the only way to get 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 is to buy both molds.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,455 Posts
Its good to see your all excited about the new mold Boss!!! I cant wait to see some pics of the jigs your going to work up. :thumbup01: :thumbup01:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Jared - Thanks for the clarification. Guess I will have to invest in both molds either way. Can't wait to see some of your pours. :thumbup01:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top