Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone else fished with a radio on the boat and listening to the radio while you fish...Does it affect the fish and what they may do or how they may react...I almost always listen to the radio while im on the boat but my uncle also has a radio but wont listen to it while he is fishing cause he said it spooks the fish...is there any truth to this....just looking for some other opinions

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I don't think radio blasted through speakers spooks fish. I've had teenagers come along with parent(s) to some striper fishing, occasionally black bass, and they always seem to want the thing on rap full blast. At first I warned them of poor fishing results doing that, but the catching made me look dumb until I realized I was giving out bad advice no matter my personal like/dislike for certain kinds of "music". It might just be a frequency thing that doesn't register with bass as related to danger. I know, it's hard to believe even a bass couldn't recognize the danger in rap, but..... :idea: .........
A big HOWEVER, though, is the impact it can have on the angler, easily a distraction from serious bass thinking. I have to admit none of that seemed to affect the kids, the bass and parents at all, but it's always an issue for me :lmao:

web disclaimer: All the above is based 100% on concentrated personal experience and opinion of the stated author.

Jim

T

·
0 Posts
I have never had a boat with a radio in it but I do listen to my iPod when fishing.

I personally don't think it harms anything but I don't have proof either way. If you feel that your not catching as much fish with it on then turn it off.

For me music puts me in a hole different zone when fishing. I'm calm, attentive, and will not be in such a hurry to catch all the fish.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I am not a fan of radios in a boat. I am out there to escape everything but good ole mother nature. However, yesterday a guy had a radio in his and he was listening to the Razorback baseball game. I did follow the score until he was out of earshot!!! GO HOGS!! :dance01: :dance01: :clap: :dance01: :cheers: :cool1:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never noticed a difference one way or the other i guess i am just looking for other opinions...My ipod plays over fm frequencies that way i can relax and listen to my country classics without commercials or keep up with the REDS game

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
I got a portable radio in my boat, but never remember its there. So, I just sing to myself . I do the same thing while mowing the grass.

Maybe one day I will get me an I-Pod.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I have a small AM/FM radio that I will use when conditions are tough. I tune in to my local Soft Jazz station and relax. Usually I would sing to myself, but threats on my life were made by my last partner. LOL!!!
-Joe

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
joegoudeau said:
. Usually I would sing to myself, but threats on my life were made by my last partner. LOL!!!
-Joe
He was just jealous cause he couldnt sing ( thats what I say when people knock my bellowing errr singing lol )

Then of course I have a rhyme or two I always say as well ( many times a day when they aint biting.. ' Fishy Fishy in the brook, jump on big daddy's hook ' or ... ' Fishy Fishy dont make me look, jump on big daddy's hook '

K

·
0 Posts
Above water sounds don't effect fish as the sound waves bounce off the surface of the water. So talk as loud as you want above water or listen to music. It has no effect. However, walking on your boat, dropping things on the deck, banging compartment lids, kicking rods, dropping lures, dropping pliers, laying rod down etc. all are quite loud underwater.

I listen to my Ipod at times also when I fish. It is not so loud that I can't hear the sound of a busting fish nearby. It does make me feel more relaxed and I like that. Of course it is typically softer music.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I never listen to the radio in the car or truck let alone in my boat. But I do carry a batterie powered AM radio in my dry box and turn it on now and then to listen for lightning in the summer. You can hear lightning crackle on the radio long before you hear thunder. As slow as my boat is I need that warning to have time to get off the water. :grin:
Pegleg

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I carry an old Radio Shack weather alert radio that pops on for special bulletins. Every striper guide I know has a very elaborate sound system including modern alert NOAA radios I never hear them use when fishing without a client. I like my surroundings as natural as possible. I listen for a turtle to kick so i don't waste time pitching to its swirl. When I hear loons sounding off in the distance its probably time to motor over to them.

Jim

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
On my last few trips out fishing was really slow and I told my son that I need to have some tunes to listen to. I have a Satellite radio in my cars and home. I think I'll put some batteries in the little boom box and see if I can get a signal out on the water. if you haven't tried satellite I highly recommend it.

T

·
0 Posts
Fish4FunInFl said:
Maybe one day I will get me an I-Pod.

Hey, what do you know.......I got an iPod shuffle for sale on ebay. Its a great deal. If you want to buy it PM me and I will send you a price that you can't pass up. I had a nephew that downloaded a foul song on it so I took it away and am selling it now. I don't know how to delete the music so the song is still there.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I have an iPod with some portable speakers and I listen all the time...I don't listen when I am fishing in tournament or with a partner. I just use it when I am by myself

1 - 16 of 16 Posts