Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, jim,
at our last meeting, jared said there was a guy on the forum who really knew his stuff when it came to sonar, gps, etc..
that's GREAT, for i have a boatload of questions! LOL

my 332 is now in the hands of lowrance, being repaired so that it won't automatically power on. ..the good part of that is when i get it back, it will have NO waypoints, trails, etc., stored on it.

i would like to ask you a Very Big Favor. ...would you please tell me HOW to generate this scenario.
(btw, please operate on the scenario that, as sgt Klink, "I Know Nothing!")

here goes - i've unloaded my boat at my nearby ramp, and, now, i want to save a trail to my favorite honey hole. it's a 10 mile run with a few sharp turns around some islands.

THEN, after i've saved it, i want to know what i've got to do the next time i go fishing when i find the fog is so thick that i can't see my hand in front of my face & i want to get to my favorite fishing spot.

and, if you would, break it down so that i can also go to a few waypoints that i've saved.

keep in mind that i only know how to use the unit as a glorified depth finder!
and ...if this is too much to ask, blame jared, for he recommended you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

ronnie

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Welcome aboard Ronnie. This is one of my favorite subjects, GPS & sonar. Lots of folks know something about bassing, but not many are comfortable with their electronics, so that's why I like to talk it.

Now you probably appreciate the value of saving all that personal GPS data to a blank MMC or SD memory card. Those waypoints are too valuable to lose.

You begin with managing TRAILS the unit automatically creates each time you turn the unit on. There are many options for how you want the string of points to appear. Trails are lines the unit draws between points created according to which options you select, so do that at home. You plan to travel 10 miles in one direction. Default is 2000 points per trail set every 3 seconds apart. You can change that up to 9999 points or alter the time or distance between points.
Hit MENU twice and arrow down to My Trails. Hit ENT. You will see a row of 3 buttons,
New Trail Trail Options Delete Trails.

Arrow to and click on Trail Options. If you will travel non-stop through those sharp turns to a spot, then at 50 mph it would take 12 minutes. That would use up 240 trail points, so the default 2000 ought to handle it. But, if you plan to fish that trail and take all day, then you would want to change the number of points, or the time interval between points, or set a distance between points. A straight line is drawn between two adjacent points, so a long distance like 1/4 mile would make a very angular trail line. A 3 second line is smooth and follows a shoreline closely while trolling. While there select line type, color, etc. so it's easy to see. Later you will use those to help customize multiple trails. Each will look different.

On the trip just let the trail build. The first will be named 001, which can be renamed in the process of saving and editing a trail. Along the way you can mark waypoints, accept the default 001, 002 naming or give them unique names. You can rename later at home. Check back to make sure the trail doesn't start replacing itself. If it runs out of points it will begin taking points off the beginning of the trail. You can move the map cursor to the starting point using the Zoom buttons. When you get to a spot where you want to end that trail, open My Trails and arrow down to the ACTIVE highlighted trail name, in this case Trail 001. Since you are wiped out there won't be a list to pick from. Later you will go there to pick a trail and navigate along it, edit it, rename it, etc. . With the active trail lit up/highlighted, press ENT then press the Down Arrow button on the face of the main unit, the hit ENT once more to uncheck the Active option. EXIT several times to get back to the map page. That stops Trail 001 and begins Trail 002. You can wander back to the ramp making the new trail, or navigate back over the trail. You can do that by simply following the trail. To do that I highly recommend changing the Map Orientation. Default has the top of the map always up, North Up. That's fine if going North, or using a paper map with the GPS, but right turns are often displayed as left turns, so keep the top of the map the direction your boat is traveling. That's TRACK UP. The map will rotate as you turn. While in the Map Page mode press MENU and arrow down to Map Orientation. Arrow to Track Up and hit ENT. EXIT out to the main page.

Transfer a copy of the trail to a memory card, NOT a map card you bought from Lowrance or Navionics. Just use a cheap $5-$10 card for that. If you want to discuss how to, holler.

The trail will remain in the unit memory too, so next trip you can re-use it. OK, so now you are launched again and want to get to that basshole in a fog. You will Navigate Forward.

MENU MENU arrow to My Trails ENT
Arrow down twice to Saved Trail List then arrow to the desired trail name, then ENT.
Arrow RIGHT to "Delete trail" window, then arrow down to Navigate. ENT.
Navigation data shows up. When you hit ENT, if alarms sounds are enabled the "arrival alarm" might go off since you are at one end of the trail. Hit EXIT to stop it. It will go off again when you reach the end of the trail. Simply follow the trail.

You can read up on it all from the free online manual at http://www.lowrance.com/Manuals/Files/LMS-337CDF_0156-071_121704.pdf This topic starts on page 126, 144, and 177. You can jump on ahead or we'll continue here.

Hope that is easy enough. On screen it takes much less time to do than to read how.

Jim

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jim,
"ALLLL RIGHT!" Now that's what i needed! man, i'm going to print this out & Just as Soon as my unit comes in, i know what/where my first trip will be!

and, you mentioned saving info, last week, i brought home a usb 2.0 card reader/writer & a 512mb sdmmc chip, so i Can save/add some info. ....is there a program that you recommend for doing this?

looking forward to Many conversations in the future ...and, if there is something you might need, just yell, i may have access to it.

ronnie

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Great! :dance01:

Hmmmm. Got a map to the Lost Dutchman mine? :D

You don't need anything but the card in the slot to save data you create on the head unit. It has it's own write capability. You can use any card reader to transfer the data to your computer. I make folders for different lakes, then subfolders for lake areas, then put trials and route in the appropriate subfolder. My Computer is all you need for that. To view them on the pc you'll need a mapping program like Lowrance's MapCreate. To get all the functionality you need the kit which has 6 disks and a LEI card reader. It allows you to register up to 5 custom map cards that can be used in any head unit accepting a Lowrance file on the card. An extra wire in the reader allows full function. There are other more expensive, more complicated mapping programs. MapCreate will allow you to open up a Lowrance map card on the pc, then create routes and waypoints off the map, then put those routes in your head unit to follow. That's especially useful on unknown waters. You can study the map, find dangerous shallow areas, route around them, and go to waypoints that looked good. Once there you can verify whether you guessed right. If it's a dud, delete that waypoint, add productive ones. Later at home you can edit the route on the pc to re-shape it to eliminate dry runs, concentrating good bassholes into one streamlined route.

If you include a Navionics map card and want to manage files on the pc you will need their NavPlanner program and their special card reader. Their maps are much superior to Lowrance maps IF they hold HD maps of your destinations. Those are current maps made from live sonar/GPS surveys instead of the regular e-maps based on paper maps, some older than a lake is. Those don't account for siltation covering drainages over flat.

Looking forward to many more questions. Thanks for asking. It's the only way I learn what someone actually needs to know.

Jim

·
Premium Member
13,631 Posts
Oh hey Ronnie! I didn't realize jones7773 was you! :D It's great to see you here. :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jim,

i have lots of other questions, etc.,,, but, actually, i just stopped by the office a few minutes ...i'm on my way to pick up two grandsons that are going to spend the holiday weekend with me.

i know i'll be busy doing a lot of things with/for them, so, it'll be tuesday before i can get back on here.

i REALLY appreciate your willingness to help & will be back to bug you SOON!

btw, i just called lowrance to get status on my 332 & was told that those units were on back order & they didn't know how long it would before they had one to swap mine out for. Soooooooooo... (let's just say i'm not happy about the whole situation ..but, hey, it's just a "thing."

hope you guys have a great weekend ....remember, "some gave all, all gave some." ..thank a vet

ronnie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts