Bass Fishing Forums - The Bassholes banner

Prop size(updated with pics)

13K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  billproxs 
#1 ·
I have a 1995 Ranger 481vs 19 1/2 ft with a 95 175 2.5l Mercury, my Ranger has the exstended transom, the prop is 25 in pitch, the motor is raised almost all the way, only 1 set of bolt holes left, motor runs great, just don't seem to be getting the speed i should be, running about 5600 rpm's any ideas, wrong prop, don't know HELP.

#3 ·
Re: Prop size

popr said:
I have a 1995 Ranger 481vs 19 1/2 ft with a 95 175 2.5l Mercury, my Ranger has the exstended transom, he prop is 25 in pitch, the is raised almost all the way, on 1 set of bolt holes left, motor runs great, just don't seem to be getting the speed i should be, running about 5600 rpm's any ideas, wrong prop, don't know HELP.
WHATS your GPS speeds,pad to prop setting at guy.
Bill

#4 ·

Ok, I'm stupid when it comes to the prop, don't know what the speed is, but when I have 150's passing me, something's not like it should be, what is pad to prop setting, don't know what you mean. Been boating for 25 years, just never put to much in to learning the wholeprop thing, I do know the pitch has something to do with the water displacement.

#5 ·

popr...Small suggestion here if you don't mind.
With all the boaters you fish in the tournaments with, ask around and see if somebody that knows a bit about it would give you 15 minutes of his time to point out some of these things for you. Where to look for numbers, where to do certain measurements, etc.
I'm in the same boat as you are as far as knowledge on this stuff (I don't know squat) and you would be surprised at how many people you're probably surrounded by that could help you learn enough to get by.

#6 ·

popr said:
OK, I'm stupid when it comes to the prop, don't know what the speed is, but when I have 150's passing me, something's not like it should be, what is pad to prop setting, don't know what you mean. Been boating for 25 years, just never put to much in to learning the wholeprop thing, I do know the pitch has something to do with the water displacement.
Capt.Mo. is right just some kind words from others that have a boat close to your's really help. Just don't get confessed with to many answers !

The prop to pad height is where your center of your prop shaft is to the bottom of your boats v pad? Most boats do best somewhere at 2-3/4" to 3" below pad. I seen guys all over the place with this adjustment?
Look at my thread in the Triton boats board guy, there I show a photo of how to set up a pad to prop.This will work on just about all boats to get you close to where it will run at a good speed.

Another way is to use your trailer tongue jack and lay a level on the trailer,crank it up or down until you get it all level.Now go back to your out board Motor and trim it with a small level until its level also.just sit the level on the cavitation plate to level it guy.Now being on a level surface take a measurement from under your boat v...bottom of your pad...lowest part to the floor.write that no# down.Now take a measurement from the center of your prop shaft to the nut that threads on to it.write that no# down. Now subtract the two no#'s and that's where your setting in relation to your prop to pad height.
But if you don't have ajack plate,usually the 3 rd bolt hole is about right,when mounted to just your transom.A 25 pitch prop is a good prop, But that yr.boat/Motor and it being a 2.5 L is not really that bad of rpm's. A 3.0 L Motor will usually run about 5400 to 5800."Standard Motor".And if it a carb., Motor maybe just good tune up is all you need.
good luck guy
Bill

#7 ·

Thanks yall, I can fix, restore, sand, carpet and do anything else to a boat, but when it comes to that prop and getting the balance right, forget it, I printed this off so I can check, might need a tune-up doesn't run like it, but when 150's are walking off something wrong. I will keep ya updated.

#9 ·

popr said:
I think I'm going to have to buy a j.plate, even if i move the motor to the last set of bolt holes it will not come close, 10 inches now.
Hey good buddie...I just sent you some photos of how to do the pad to prop settings.
if you mean your 10" right now your probably not doing something right.
just let me know guy.

#10 ·

I'd be curious what your speed is, because number 1 your in a ranger, number 2 its a 19.5ft boat with a 175. I'm thinking its underpowered cause my 18' boat is rated for a 175. What is the max HP rating. don't really know much about rangers or that model, but it seems to me a 19.5ft boat should have a higher hp rating.

#11 ·

It's max HP is 175 according to the plate, but I have seen the same boat with a 200 on it, same model boat, I might need to call ranger to find out, somebody could have switch the plate out so they could run a bigger HP without a DQ'ed in a tournament. When your wide open you can feel the drag in it.

Thanks, Billpro, received your e-mail, I'm going to Lowes to get a better straight edge, when wife gets home get her to help me.

#12 ·

Ok I just did some research on the boat and yes it seems to have a 175hp rating and I think part of the 19.5ft boat might be the setback in the back. It seems from most people that this is a pretty fast boat. most are getting mid 60's numbers with it and a 175hp motor unworked. IMO a jackplate can never hurt. put a 6" plate on there and most people say drop the motor to 3.5" below pad and move a 1/4" at a time until you lose speed or water pressure and I think that method works on most boat brands. a 24" tempest plus seems to be a good runner on that boat as well.

#17 ·

popr said:
OK, I think I did it right this time, 4 inches from the straight edge to center of the nut that holds the prop on.
OK...guy did you make sure the Motor was level using the small level sitting it on the cavitation plate?If your Motor is level and your straight edge is touching your -v - pad under your boat at least 6" under with no air gaps or light showing between v pad and straight edge.While holding straight edge very still measure from top of straight edge down to the Motor center of the prop shaft bolt?Should be between 2-3/4" to 4" below pad.DEPENDS on your Motor hole your sitting in guy.

I just looked on the Ranger board and its says they only made a 481vs in 1994 with a 15" set back.And says Ranger made a 461vs in 1995 with a 11" set back. ARE you sure of WHAT your title says guy on the boats year.It does say 175 is max.

I'm also seeing about your RPM'S running around 5200 to 5600, most with a pad to prop at around 2-3/4" to 3" below pad,and running around 58 to 62 mph guy. Thats loaded with fuel,live wells full,2 people. I would say a 24 to 25 tempest plus prop is about right for you.

Sounds like you might need a good tune up,and lower unit oil change.If your props not damaged,I'd say your about right for that yr,and model boat.

wish I could be more help guy,loose some weight in the boat as far as gear,and run 1/2 tank fuel if you can.
Bill

#18 ·

When I was getting ready to buy the boat, I called Ranger to find out about parts, windshield, and hatch door, they ask for hull I.D. and they told me then it was a 1995, my title is a 95. I'm going to take a picture of the setback and hold a tape measure up with it. This boat I was told by Ranger was built to somebody's spec's, special order. I'll take a pic of the prop also. I was BP today and bought some Quickleen for it, and I'm going to pick up some plugs and change them.

#20 ·

Ok here is my setup, 481vs---1995---setback 15"----hull wt 1320----2/26 gal tanks under the seats----Beam 90"---single console----2 livewells rear---2 storage boxes rear-----2 rod boxes front-----cooler front, the last 2 digits of the hull I.D. are 95, don't know if this means anything the trailer date is 9-14-94. My prop is a Tempest I.D. number on the prop is 48-825866 25p

#22 ·

popr said:
Ok here is my setup, 481vs---1995---setback 15"----hull wt 1320----2/26 gal tanks under the seats----Beam 90"---single console----2 livewells rear---2 storage boxes rear-----2 rod boxes front-----cooler front, the last 2 digits of the hull I.D. are 95, don't know if this means anything the trailer date is 9-14-94. My prop is a Tempest I.D. number on the prop is 48-825866 25p
POPR Tell me if the email opens up for you please.

#26 ·

popr said:
Here is some pic's, maybe this helps some, or kinda see what I have.
:cheers:

dude? I see you need some lower skeg work done.Looks like you have worn it out?
And I must say your bigest problem is you need a brand new" mercury tempest plus prop".
I also see you've got the vent plugs all the way out?,of your prop. you or someone has removed them completely for a better hole shot guy.The vent plugs only have an effect on hole shot only and do not affect top end speed at all? This is also telling me if the plugs are out, your have boat lift troubles. I would go with a 24 or 25 pitch Mercury tempest plus prop.That motor is what it is,2.5 L. You can attempt a good tune up guy,new plugs,fuel filter,drain water at the same time,and have some one help you check your wide open throttle at the Motor and your throttle arm or hot foot. Making sure its traveling all the way down to full throttle.AFTER all this add some QUICKLEEN AND SEAFORM,TO CLEAN up your carb.'s,fuel lines and fuel tanks.
Drain your lower unit fluid and replace it.
I can help you find a used prop for around 275 to 325.Or I know where you can get a sale prop brand new for about $410.

These things will for sure help you guy alot,but you have to remember its a 1995 yr.Motor,with out knowing the compression on each CYD. and doing a leak down test I really don't know what condition your motors in or how many hours on it.

But if your keeping the boat for a while,you will need to do as I have recommended?
I'm just giving you advise guy,you should contact a dealer if your unsure.
Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.